Sign in to follow this  
BabylonDK

Suggestion: Six Updater for ServerAdmins

alot of users seems to have huge problems with joining server because the serveradmins are updating faster than Six Updater can get the updates.

So my suggestion is.. Make Six Updater to Serveradmins, so we admins can run the update one time a day, maybe program a task which close the server down, run the six updater and then start the server again.

This would improve the serveradmins' tools for making their servers good and attractive ++ Decrease the number of problems between users and servere.

This is what I do, on our server I use the Six Launcher to update the beta files, this will ensure it's what everyone else is updated to. If you update these manually you will surpass the user end.

I thought it was the opposite way round, Six is grabbing the files too early before the servers are updating, especially for those who just have the game servers

Honestly, the way I see it. Keep your servers up-to-date always the manual way. Six Updater downloads and mirrors betas and DayZ updates after they have been rolled out, so it should -in theory- catch the users up eventually. :D

Betas are chock-full of crash fixes and other tweaks. It's good for the soul! :P

Edited by HowIChrgeLazer
  • Like 1

Six is always slow to add updates. I just manually update my box. There's so many bugs right now, I'd prefer to try and fix them sooner than later if it involves new betas.

People updating their servers manually is why everyone keeps saying six updater doesn't work. It works fine, but only updates to a certain release. if the server owner has manually updated to a newer release, anyone who uses six can't connect.

as for the idea that six doesn't update quickly enough, i think they have plans for chaning how updates are added to the mirrors. perhaps this might speed things up somewhat. I also like the idea of waiting some sort of time after a new patch for the betas is released, so you don't have a new beta right after the six mirrors are updated. recently, the betas went through 2-3 versions within a few hours. doesn't make sense to update right away only to have a new version immediatly following.

Maybe the best idea is to tie a dayz version to a specific beta? This should make troubleshooting issues in dayz easier as well as make updating less of a pain for server owners and players.

Edited by cereal7802

With that last time though, one of those versions were accidentally pushed out to Six Updater, which needed the hotfix about an hour later. That stuff normally doesn't happen in the deployment cycle for DayZ.

I choose to update the arma beta's manually when they become BE supported to make sure the servers have the latest crash fixes, bug fixes, and tweaks. It might alienate Six Updater users for that time span where it hasn't updated, but it will catch up. They've been very good about that.

• Like 1

With that last time though, one of those versions were accidentally pushed out to Six Updater, which needed the hotfix about an hour later. That stuff normally doesn't happen in the deployment cycle for DayZ.

I choose to update the arma beta's manually when they become BE supported to make sure the servers have the latest crash fixes, bug fixes, and tweaks. It might alienate Six Updater users for that time span where it hasn't updated, but it will catch up. They've been very good about that.

Agreed. That was an unusual scenario regarding the last beta. Hopefully that doesn't become a regular problem.