Sroidi

Low FPS on Cherno/Elektro

Hey,

When I first come to a server and if I start a new character my FPS (in good server) is like 60-70. When I play little time it can decrease to 40-50 FPS. If I go to a big town like Cherno or Elektro my fps drops to unplayable low 15-20 FPS. Then if I go away from these towns my FPS stays very low and does not go up. I can fix this by walking to the wilderness and then rebooting DayZ.

I have tried many, many things but nothing seems to help. Lowering display/video settings does not affect this at all. I have tried editing arma2oa.cfg, I have tried RAMDisk, I have tried editing my videocard settings...

I realise that many have this kind of problem and that Arma II engine is badly optimized but my friend has less powerful computer than me and he has no problems at all, simply lowering settings gives him good FPS in towns...

My computer specs:

AMD Phenom II 955BE @ 3.6 GHz

G.skill 6 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Asus Geforce 560 ti directcu II top

128GB Samsung 830 SSD

Any tips are welcome, I'll tell you if I have tried that already...

PS: I'm Finnish and my English is not the best but hope you understand...

Edited by Sroidi

Same problem here. My system specs are in my signature.

Same problem here. My system specs are in my signature.

Oh, so this happens to Intel processors too. I thought it always ran very well on those ones :huh:

It's because you are playing an unoptimised mod, on an unoptimised game engine :)

I know, that's why I posted this here, so people with same problem reply this thread and hopefully some devs (dunno if it's only rocket) see this and does something about it.

I dont know if this would help but it could be a combination of your video card/ proc,ram. I had to upgrade to a faster cpu from my dual when I bought my 460's becuase they wer actually out preforming my cpu. That 560ti is a little btetter than these 460's i have and it could be choking down your CPU and giving you horrable fps... may be time to upgrade to a DDR3 mobo and get a better proc. Just my 2 cents anyway.

I dont know if this would help but it could be a combination of your video card/ proc,ram. I had to upgrade to a faster cpu from my dual when I bought my 460's becuase they wer actually out preforming my cpu. That 560ti is a little btetter than these 460's i have and it could be choking down your CPU and giving you horrable fps... may be time to upgrade to a DDR3 mobo and get a better proc. Just my 2 cents anyway.

I think my CPU is pretty good but you may be right, also my RAM is really fast DDR3 RAM so that's not the problem...

Myself and the group I play with have this exact same issue but we don't even need to go into a big town. We stay in the wooded areas most of the time and when we first join we have excellent FPS 50-60, about 15 minutes later it will be in the 30s and in another 15 minutes it will be in the teens. On some servers we don't even have to wait 30 minutes for terrible FPS it will just start out in the teens.

It's definitely not a hardware issue and not an arma issue (I play single player just fine for long periods of time with no FPS drop).

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 @3.0 GHz

8GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM

GTX 670 FTW Edition

You will probably see better performance when the mod goes into beta, that's when all the code clean up usually begins. Alpha (current state of the mod) is where new things are added.

Don't forget a lot of the FPS issues are attributed to the server you're playing on along with the DayZ mod itself. If you look at the change log notes, you'll see Rocket & co do a lot to tidy up certain elements that can cause the FPS to drop. 1.7.1.5 was perfect for me performance wise, 1.7.2.3 is freaking awful.

It's a bit of hit 'n' miss; I've gone through changing config settings & startup parameters and they do benefit me when the 'right' patch comes out for DayZ, but it's just something that we have to learn to live with when it's not (the right patch).

My rig consists of an overclocked Q9550, 4GB of DDR3 and a 2GB AMD HD6970 - more than enough to play this game with decent settings. With 1.7.1.5 at 3360 x 2100 I was getting a steady 40FPS unless I use binos. With 1.7.2.3 I have 25-30FPS which gets worse the longer I play.

I'm really looking forward to the next update to DayZ as I'm hoping it'll improve my frames.

:D

I'll link you a couple of threads I've used to give me a more stable FPS recently -

http://dayzmod.com/f...-in-big-cities/

Can't find the others but I'll give a quick run down of some other things you can do:

TO DO

Documents > Arma 2 :

You should see a two CFG files that you can opened with notepad - "ArmA2" ArmA2OA"

There are then another two for your profiles on both Operation arrowhead (OA) and your standard ARMA 2. These aren't CFG files, but respectively "ARMA2PROFILE File" and ARMA2OAPROFILE File" For me, they're both named "Scerun" as that's my user profile.

Now open up every one of these and do the following for each one:

ARMA2 CFG

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=10000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

I think that's what they used to say. Regardless of what htey used to say, change them both to the number 1.

Like this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Save and close the file.

ARMA2OA CFG

Do the exact same as the ARMA2 cfg. Change:

to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Save up and close!

*PROFILE NAME* ARMA2PROFILE File

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the line named:

sceneComplexity=*NUMBER* (E.G 300000)

Change this to 75000, or 100000. The lower the number, the lower the number of polygon per scene (or something). This'll give you better performance in towns, especially Cherno/Elektro. At the very least it'll give you a more stable FPS in these areas.

sceneComplexity=100000

Save up and Close.

*PROFILE NAME* ARMA2OAPROFILE File

Do the exact same as what you did with your other Profile settings. Scroll to the bottom and find:

Change it to

sceneComplexity=100000

Save up and close.

FINALLY

The final thing you need to do it right click all of these files

go to Properties.

Makes sure all the files are "Read Only"

Click Okay and you're done.

Changing the TERRAIN DETAIL value in-game will reset the "SceneComplexity=" line

Now I'm aware that you'll only need to edit the OA files, but I went ahead and did it all, because fuck yeah.

Some people have experienced massive boost in FPS with this. I know I recieved another few FPS at the most, but in general my FPS is a lot more stable.

Edited by Scerun

You will probably see better performance when the mod goes into beta, that's when all the code clean up usually begins. Alpha (current state of the mod) is where new things are added.

Didn't know that one, now I know. Thanks! :)

Don't forget a lot of the FPS issues are attributed to the server you're playing on along with the DayZ mod itself. If you look at the change log notes, you'll see Rocket & co do a lot to tidy up certain elements that can cause the FPS to drop. 1.7.1.5 was perfect for me performance wise, 1.7.2.3 is freaking awful.

It's a bit of hit 'n' miss; I've gone through changing config settings & startup parameters and they do benefit me when the 'right' patch comes out for DayZ, but it's just something that we have to learn to live with when it's not (the right patch).

My rig consists of an overclocked Q9550, 4GB of DDR3 and a 2GB AMD HD6970 - more than enough to play this game with decent settings. With 1.7.1.5 at 3360 x 2100 I was getting a steady 40FPS unless I use binos. With 1.7.2.3 I have 25-30FPS which gets worse the longer I play.

I'm really looking forward to the next update to DayZ as I'm hoping it'll improve my frames.

:D

My DayZ experience is about week old so I have not played patches before 1.7.2.x. This sound good, gives me a lot to hope for!

I'm really interested to see if next few patches improve my performance! :P

I'll link you a couple of threads I've used to give me a more stable FPS recently -

http://dayzmod.com/f...-in-big-cities/

Can't find the others but I'll give a quick run down of some other things you can do:

TO DO

Documents > Arma 2 :

You should see a two CFG files that you can opened with notepad - "ArmA2" ArmA2OA"

There are then another two for your profiles on both Operation arrowhead (OA) and your standard ARMA 2. These aren't CFG files, but respectively "ARMA2PROFILE File" and ARMA2OAPROFILE File" For me, they're both named "Scerun" as that's my user profile.

Now open up every one of these and do the following for each one:

ARMA2 CFG

I think that's what they used to say. Regardless of what htey used to say, change them both to the number 1.

Like this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Save and close the file.

ARMA2OA CFG

Do the exact same as the ARMA2 cfg. Change:

to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Save up and close!

*PROFILE NAME* ARMA2PROFILE File

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the line named:

Change this to 75000, or 100000. The lower the number, the lower the number of polygon per scene (or something). This'll give you better performance in towns, especially Cherno/Elektro. At the very least it'll give you a more stable FPS in these areas.

sceneComplexity=100000

Save up and Close.

*PROFILE NAME* ARMA2OAPROFILE File

Do the exact same as what you did with your other Profile settings. Scroll to the bottom and find:

Change it to

sceneComplexity=100000

Save up and close.

FINALLY

The final thing you need to do it right click all of these files

go to Properties.

Makes sure all the files are "Read Only"

Click Okay and you're done.

Changing the TERRAIN DETAIL value in-game will reset the "SceneComplexity=" line

Now I'm aware that you'll only need to edit the OA files, but I went ahead and did it all, because fuck yeah.

Some people have experienced massive boost in FPS with this. I know I recieved another few FPS at the most, but in general my FPS is a lot more stable.

Sounds promising, thank you for your time to write all that! I'm currently at work but I go home in few hours, then I try all that stuff and hope it works.

I'll tell you if it helps! ;)

EDIT: I tested this on a good server, I had to decrease that SceneComplexity from 150000 to 50000 and only like 5fps increase... Yeah now I have 20-30 fps on cherno instead of 15-25 fps, I think I have to wait for next patches and see if there is more improvement :(

Edited by Sroidi

Yesterday I went on a pretty good server (had 70ish FPS at the woods/wilds) then I roamed into Berezino, which is the town north-east corner of the map and I had like 10-13 FPS playing in there...

I have heard something about reinstalling or downgrading Geforce drivers to fix this problem, can anyone confirm this?

• Like 1

You could try to flush vram, hold left shift and press the numpad -, then let go and type flush. You will get a short loading screen and it should kick your FPS back up. Don't do it if you think you might get shot, though. I did that once. :C