sm00tje

First days in a life of a DayZ recruit

hi there guys! :)

couple of days ago, searching for some zombie games, I ran into some dayz videos. I watched a couple of them and decided to buy arma2: oa. Well, what a hell of a ride to get it working, 'cause of my own stupidity trying to get it work without the six launcher. Finally I connected through the six launcher on a server. So I spawned somewhere in the middle of the night, I could barely see my own hand. Somehow I managed to get some zombies on my ass :rolleyes: . All I knew was how the basic controls work, double tapped "w" and ran for my life. I thought running up a hill through the woods would be a good idea, cheers on my instincts! As I reached the peak I went prone behind it, thinking I was save, as I heard a voice: "Stay down, stay down" - WOW! Where was that coming from, somehow I trusted the all surrounding voice and stayed down, while somewhere out of nowhere another player appeared and killed the rest of the zombies that were after me. I had a nice little chat with him, whoever he was, thanks! He gave me a rifle and some ammo and as fast as he appeared, he went on. So here I was again. All by myself, knowing nothing than the basic controls, after half an hour with one of the greatest expierences I have made in a game the last years. Somehow overwhelmed I went on. Found a deer stand, gathered more supplies and died later in a town 'cause of a horde of zombies.

Now that was 3 days ago, I have made much more of these experiences. I convinced two friends to join me and we started playing together. We started using the interactive map, reading wiki entries, found a car by luck hidden somewhere in the forest, had our first "loot run" that was a very bad one, cause we totally screwed up and didn't really know where to go and what to find, sucked at refilling our tanks, and so on and on. Died a couple of times, killed by bandits or "ran" into some zombies. There was a time, when we were dead really fast and all of us three were close to stop playing, as someone respawned found a great location and geared up, being a hope for the other two. the learning curve was intense, insanely intense! It does not seem like it's going to stop soon.

This is it. Just wanted the "friendly" guys out there know, that there are other players, then the "omg-gosh-i-dont-have-a-wep-at-start-everywhere-bandits-i-am-gonna-to-the-same-shit-players. Oh and if anyone is intrested in joining us or want us to join you, feel free to contact me. We have a couple of ideas about imaginary classes and a somehow called "roleplaying". We are just gearing up right now, but we already have a doc, a ninja and a rambo, with a little more than the basic gear. I can't tell if we are bandits or not, I know none of us killed another player so far. So if you're intrested, want to share and loot together, maybe build up a little camp, contact me and we'll find a way to prove that we and you are trustable. UTC is +1, we also have a teamspeak and speak a more or less decent english.

• Like 3

Sounds like you had a good first experience. I'm still a bit new myself, haven't ran into any "friendlies" yet, but I've had fun running around up North. Got killed a few times by players I didn't see, but such is the way of the North. I do enjoy to lone wolf playstyle, but if you need an extra set of eyes for a raid or something, hit me up. I won't backstab you, I have no intent on killing anyone.

Edited by HerrJon

Just played through my first 20 minutes of life a little while ago. Learning as I go. Recently bought ARMA 2 off of Steam. By recently I mean, finished download about a couple hours ago. Anywho, let me know if you want to team up or something through a PM or some such.

I just finished my first day, am having some very mixed results, but over-all it's a game I actually WANT to get better and am willing to put in the time and effort to do so, which has been strange with alot of other games failing to do so.

I have yet to kill another player, and really have no intentions of doing so unless it really is a 'him or me' situation, which thus far has never been the case outside the times where I've come across a bandit. Actually had an interesting encounter much like yours, where someone told me not to move. He had me dancing like a puppet asking if I was 'friendly', and I realized I didn't know how to talk back to him (Realized later that it's '/' for chat and 'Tab' for voice), but finally I managed to find the keys to chat with him (Having not found the voice button). When I was finally alowed to turn around, I was stuck with a crossbow in my hands but no bolts (I cant believe how easy it is to lose those things), and after a very sense stand-off he finally believed me that I was friendly. A budy of his (Or so I assume) in a guille, decides it would be a good idea to shoot me.

Now, for some reason I am alive, so I bandage up, since I have no means to defend myself. The first guy was being quite a gentilemen when he realized there was a dangerous amature in our midst, and though offered equipment (To which I have no idea how he could hold two primaries, assuming it had to do with a pack I dont have, because if I try to put a primary in my pack, it just vanishes) I refused his offer, knowing full well my own incompidency would simply make it 'lost gear'. Suffice it to say, that conversation ended when his friend's second bullet found my behaviour objectionable and decided to make it's counter-point.

I never did get the chance to thank them both for the kindness they both shared in their own ways, one willing to offer his wisdom and equipment in order to aid a struggling new survivor, and the other willing to share two rounds of his precious ammunition, but I hope some day they will cross this message, and read the name 'Derek', and realize that though it went poorly in the end, it was one of the more pleasent moments I had in DayZ on my first 24 hours.

I am hoping to get better, alot of the keys, functions and menus are really counter intuative, but for what the game offers I am quite willing to press on.

Just hope that someday I may actually become the contributing member of an apocalyptic survived society.

• Like 1

I enjoy these stories

You Sir, are welcomed.

I am hoping to get better, alot of the keys, functions and menus are really counter intuative, but for what the game offers I am quite willing to press on.

You have to remember this is still in Alpha, very buggy and subject to change. Just go to youtube and look up DayZGuides, he'll show you how to do everything.

You have to remember this is still in Alpha, very buggy and subject to change. Just go to youtube and look up DayZGuides, he'll show you how to do everything.

With all the CONSTANT REMINDERS IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD, how could anyone FORGET this is in alpha?

-MONSTER

With all the CONSTANT REMINDERS IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD, how could anyone FORGET this is in alpha?

-MONSTER

Thought it was beta?! Aren't the versions called "beta 97505" for example?! confused once again.

Thought it was beta?! Aren't the versions called "beta 97505" for example?! confused once again.

Cant be more confused than me trying to find a server in the appropriate time frame. Some are flat out GMT -X/+X in the title, the others though I am afraid I am missing something.

I would love to join u guys for some lootin. My Steam ID is rig791 hit me up and we can try to get together