Sign in to follow this  
Shamz

I may have underestimated the difficulty of this game

Just downloaded the mod not too long ago and after a long time of searching for servers, being stuck in character creation and beign kicked for high latency i finally found a server i could get into. Although 3rd person view was not working for some reason.

Being from Australia with horrible internet i have been downloading the arma2CO pack for a couple days now and in the meantime been watching lots of youtube videos and reading stories etc of the mod and i was really excited about it.

But when i entered the world i went in search for some equipment, came across a crane/dock area and it was infested with zombies, i got onto my belly and crawled around waiting for an opportunity to get into the area and scout out some possible areas where there may be available equipment for me. unfortunately each and every attempt i was aggroing zombies left right and centre, even tho i was a fair distance away and prone. outrunning the zombies proved fruitless as I think i ran for about 20mins before giving up.

This seems like an amazing concept for a game and I am really impressed at the way its taken off and really interested to see where it goes - and please dont take this as post as a complaint but I was hoping someone could better explain to me what I should be doing? How can I go about safely without weapons?

Thanks alot

when I start out i usually go for barns/farms. You can usually find a few weapons and supplies.

You were in a server with 3rd person disabled probably. You need to stay either crouched down or prone when near zombies. Make sure you move slow (shift+w). the Icons on your top right show an ear and an eye. The ear is how loud you are. Don't let it get past 2 bars when close to a zombie. Same goes with the eye. Stay out of the large cities as best as possible and loot small towns. If a zombie is aggro'd on you, try to run up a hill going from left to right in a wide zig-zag pattern, make your way through the trees and you should break line of sight with the zombie. I hope that any of this helped.

• Like 2

Thanks alot Texcat and Hairclamp,

Imbooting the game up again now to give it another shot. Is Line of sight the best way to be rid of zombie pursuits?

Yeah, get into the treeline and scout for barns and deer stands, you should be able to get at least a tier 1 gun. If you do loot a city, just run through and lose Zeds in buildings with 2 doors.

I honlestly wouldn't fire a gun in town, draws a bunch of Zeds, and also alerts other players to your existance. Just scout out the town for a few minutes, see if there's an open spot with no Zeds you can sneak in, then prone and use alt + turn to look around you without moving. Abuse third person if you can/need.

If there is no 3rd person, it is a veteran server.

And when few zombies are on you, run up-hill, they have to zig-zag you to follow, thus you can get away. :)

Imbooting the game up again now to give it another shot. Is Line of sight the best way to be rid of zombie pursuits?

Yes, as I mentioned, buildings with two doors works great, just run through and crouch run away as they try to search for you. Other than that, find two bushes or low trees close to each other, run through them, and crouch run away. I've even ran in log cabins and proned behind the table, but I think that was b/c it was still dark out.

If there is no 3rd person, it is a veteran server.

This isn't entirely true there are Veteran servers that allow third person view. Which can be seen by highlighting the server name and it will either say 3DP: ON (This means 3rd person is on) or 3DP: OFF (You can do the math) Also running inside buildings with 2 entrances is the best way to get rid of zombies because as it stands as of right now they can't run inside the buildings. Good luck and have fun took me a couple days to get the hang of looting and moving through towns. Don't be too bummed about dying in this game you can work your way back up quickly and you never know on your next playthrough you might be twiced as geared in less amount of time!!

• Like 1

Use big enterable buildings to shake off any zombies as they can not run in buildings. You can round them up in an area and go in one side and just walk out the other and explore for gear as the zombies get lost in the building you kited them too.

Surviving in this game is extremely difficult, you have to get over server nukes, invisible people, getting polymorphed into random animals by hackers, corrupted saves, mod updates, land bugs that could kill you by just running on the forest, and long etc. No doubt this is one of the most difficult games i've ever played.

ignore some of the above the responses..

my advice is to run like a idiot around big towns, you can dash in and out of buildings losing any following zombies (due to the walk thing other people have mentioned) and if your quick you will get a few weapons and get out with a semi decent kit.. :) this is what i do now, i can't be bothered to sneek around for 30 min in rubbish towns so i just run to cherno and dash in as many buildings i can and just hope i dont get shot, 95% of the time i actually get a few guns and get out ok.. good times i actually spend an hour in game goto cherno get out and head to stary or somewhere else with a rifle, a handgun a waterbottole and some of the smaller tool items depending on how lucky i am.. and if i dont get a rifle your bound to get a hatchet or a pistol which is good enough for going north as there are plenty of barns to stop by and other places

:beans:

my main advice is get a tablet, a laptop or some other device and have the MAP up at all times. you need it so badly to figure out where your going

Edited by serion

also map your 3rd person button to something like right alt.as the numerical enter button doest work for some.

Edited by fishgutt