Sign in to follow this  
00goat

the walk into nothing

Ok, so following the formula....

5/20/2012

I was playing with a friend, and got up onto green mountain, walked into the "radio tower" (is that what it is?) and died for no reason, just walked in the door, dead. That's a bug in itself, but not the reason for my post.

Respawed near Komarovo, tried to go north to re-connect with my friend. Got lost/turned around, ended up finding the sea. Spun 180 degrees from the sea and went "north" (I realize this might be any north-ish direction from the sea, depending on the stretch of coastline). I expected to be between Komarovo and Kamenka at this point.

Kept walking, ended up in the middle of *nothing*... no trees, no roads, nothing. Decided I must be somewhere between Komarovo and Balota... only place on the map that could match it for lack of trees. Kept walking, nothing. Kept walking.... and nothing. Topped a hill, and nothing but fog in the distance.

My friend tells me (as I'm writing) that it must've been at least 10-15 minutes that I was walking, without touching the mouse. Walking in the same direction, nothing but bare grass ground texture and fog. The only model I saw the entire time was two pigs. Didn't cross any roads, saw nothing at all. I finally gave up and came here to report a bug. For the time I'd been walking I should've seen *something*.

Edit-- When I rejoined after posting this, I spawned into "wilderness". I suicided and rejoined twice before I managed to spawn into the "normal" map. I suppose I could have gone off-map west of Kamenka, but I don't recall going through a lot of forest to get there (south edge). I don't know what the map edge "looks like" if you walk there normally

edit 2 -- Reviewing the map, I suppose I could in fact have been walking north-west from the coast near Kamenka, I did walk quite a distance intially before I found the sea. I suppose I could've walked due west from Komarovo at that point, but I was fairly sure I went north from a building in Komarovo in the first place. Like I say I don't know what the edge of the map looks like normally, so perhaps this is normal, but if that's the case it would benefit from a "leaving gameplay area" message.

Arma 2 v. 1.60

day-z v.1.5.7

Server was US(x)... I believe US11, not positive.

System: Core i7-860 (2.8GHz), 12GB ram, GTX460 video.

Timeline: visited green mountain, died from apparent building bug, respawned near Komarovo, walked in arc, ended up at coast, walked back inland into infinite nothing.

Well, I'm pretty sure Kamorovo is close to the left hand edge of the map. You can find the demarcation line and stand on it and see full terrain o. One is of you and those blank, Lovecraftian hills humping off into the distance...

But the respawning.... I know some people were getting wilderness respawns instead of debug forest for a while.

L

Its off the map. I too wandered into this area. Did you cross a big brown line on the ground? This indicates the end of the map. Tried to respawn and kept spawning in the empty area. You just gotta run away from the see. Took me about 15 minutes but I got back onto the map. Its not worth uninstalling over.

Okay this fixed it for me:

1. Press Escape

2. Respawn

3. Abort

4. Disconnect completely

5. Restart and you should be out of the Wilderness