dendron

Hacker on the server, question about it.

Greetings,

Few friends and myself were playing on DE13 (95054 ArmA 2 Beta patch) server half a hour ago when at some point I started getting teleported randomly on the map, after that both me and my friends got full gear, and by full I mean NVG, GPS, Sniper with bunch of mags, 24 slots backpack and all kind of useful stuff. In about 30sec-1min we all got broken leg, then all died end got sent to Wilderness.

At the end, when I disconnected and changed server I lost all my legit gear (DMR and 14 mags, Rangefinder, ALICE backpack, supplies etc) I was collecting for about 20 hours, and no - I am not here to whine about gear that comes and goes. This is millionth time I lost very good gear but not like this, not to some hacker who overtook entire server and started playing with people.

Reason I am making this thread is to ask few things:

- Is there secure version of BattlEye, ArmA 2 Beta patch and are there more secure servers? Or every server no matter of version of BE/Beta patch is prone to these hacks?

- Are there any official stands about this kind of hacking?

- Rocket or ArmA 2 developers know about this for sure, do they work on better security?

Basically what I am asking, should I expect this often no matter of which version of DayZ/Beta patch/BE I am using? I am a bit annoyed and angry, not because I lost my gear - it is because I now know this probably can happen any time at any point of my playtime and I don't see any improvements to come in near future (at least Forum Search didn't give me any hope).

P.S.

"It's alpha, gtfo" posters can have good time with my thread, be welcomed but notice that I am not whining about gear nor about DayZ - I believe this issue is BE/ArmA 2 problem that (I bet) can be worked on if devs decide it is high priority issue (and I can't explain why it isn't already).

Thanks for reading,

/ranting_off

Hey DenDron,

Let me try to answer all your questions as best I can :).

• No. BattlEye is terrible, and can be easily bypassed; they need to work on that.
  • The 'official stance' is that it's against the rules, but you're not really allowed to "ban" a person for it as a server owner without approvement from the devs.
  • They know about it, but you have to remember that ARMA2 is not meant to be an MMORPG; it's a COD style game where your data is not usually saved, so these hacks are very undamaging for most online campaigns, it's just DayZ that really suffers from it. The game itself is an engine similar to Gary's mod, and is meant to be easily mod-able. As a result, it's super easy to script advanced and destructive scripts to grief servers with.

Let me know if you need anything else.

- Vaquxine

Hey DenDron,

Let me try to answer all your questions as best I can :).

• No. BattlEye is terrible, and can be easily bypassed; they need to work on that.
  • The 'official stance' is that it's against the rules, but you're not really allowed to "ban" a person for it as a server owner without approvement from the devs.
  • They know about it, but you have to remember that ARMA2 is not meant to be an MMORPG; it's a COD style game where your data is not usually saved, so these hacks are very undamaging for most online campaigns, it's just DayZ that really suffers from it. The game itself is an engine similar to Gary's mod, and is meant to be easily mod-able. As a result, it's super easy to script advanced and destructive scripts to grief servers with.

Let me know if you need anything else.

- Vaquxine

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Well, at least now I know they are very aware of this issue. I just hope sooner then laters they work on that security, because I can't imagine people to stick playing this awesome mod if these hackers/scripters (whatever) keep doing this more often. To be honest this was first time I encountered this but I really got bumped down because of it.

The 'official stance' is that it's against the rules, but you're not really allowed to "ban" a person for it as a server owner without approvement from the devs.

False.

Call me what you want, but the DayZ team did say it's alright to ban, as long as you send them proof.

He's saying I'm brown-nosing the DayZ dev. team, likely in reference to other threads.