Sign in to follow this  
Thetalon

Thoughts on the morality of KoS (No complaints)

Okay I'm wondering.. what is a good way to establish if someone is hostile or not. I've been killed many times by people just running by .. many times unarmed.. and many times not.. I always ask if they are friendly and most of the time they say yes... and obviously they are not... Now I don't really like KoS.. Unless I'm desperate for food.. or water which has never happened yet.

I just wanna know how do you people with good morals manage to stay alive in a world full of scared sheep? Just today I saw a guy being chased by zeds.. Took them down.. bandaged them up and gave him so food and water and we started to team up... then about 2 minutes later he just looked at me and filled me full of a makarov clip.. Obviously this was my fault.. Just wondering what techniques you guys use to do a quick personality profile if it's at all possible ?? Lol.. Anyway looking forward to hearing some views and stories. Have fun out there!!

• Like 1

if they are heading towards me, or towards where im headed, or have nice gear(i mean equal or better then what im carrying), or are in the same town as me (to easy to loose sight and have them flank you) - they are worm food

other wise best of luck to them, hell i even let people live if they fire at me(well occasionally) and then they back off or aim so badly they make me laugh (provided i have an easy way out of the situation)

Im still new but personally I wont spend alot of time with other players I dont actually know. Ive encounter several people, Ive even had them shoot Zeds off of me. But once we establish we are supposedly "friendly" I usually try and get away from them with exposing my back to them as little as possible.

No point in trying to continue to loot in an area where someone has a gun or a better gun than me. If they dont have a gun then Ill try and loot but Im not skilled enough to try and play king of the mt right now.

Edited by jackcrow
  • Like 1

Its a good damn question. Been playing off and on since like May and only met two or three people in-game who weren't turds and maybe on or two more that maybe miiight have been mostly ok but they "thought I was someone else". 2/3 of the kill on site defense threads are just people trying to make excuses for being chickenshits and or thieves. I only ever had one "murder"(http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/56-dayz-stories/page__st__280#entry163068) might help if when you create your profile, you could create a custom appearance so that if people can keep better track of individuals who are especially good or bad or something. I dunno....

• Like 1

Yeah it's such a difficult situation to read. I may just have to generally avoid people unless that is completely out of the question. I have a group that I play with and a couple friends but it's still fun encountering a complete stranger and moving through a town with them it just seems like this may be impossible if you manage to rack up some decent gear.

Everytime I've tried to help someone they kill me. I don't kill the people that help me. But if you got a really nice gun or pack, the thoughts cross my mind.

Unless the person has voice comm, stay away from them, if they do, just listen to their voice, you will easily be able to gauge if a person is lying, or a threat, or friendly, by their tone of voice. Humans are very intuitive naturally, you don't even have to think about it, you can pretty much feel if something is "wrong" and if you get that gut feeling, get the hell out of there or put a bullet through his head.

If you're undecided, just keep him talking, you will pretty quickly get a "feel" for a person, especially when you don't have physical appearance to distract you.

Edited by Thorzen

Every, but EVERY time when I encountered other players, no matter if I had weapon or not, they killed me without hesitating. Based on that experience, should I also shoot on sight? Hard decision, but I rather stay out of sight and not placing myself in that kind of situation. It's easier to avoid shooting in wilderness and smaller villages.

I say avoid KOS because all you do is cause that to become the norm which it shouldn't be, since lets face it 90% of people aren't blood thrusty killers and would never kill another person and if they do they are going to feel sick to their stomach.

doing kos forces it almost onto others, thus ruining this great game by making into just another fps shooter which it's not.

I say avoid KOS because all you do is cause that to become the norm which it shouldn't be, since lets face it 90% of people aren't blood thrusty killers and would never kill another person and if they do they are going to feel sick to their stomach.

doing kos forces it almost onto others, thus ruining this great game by making into just another fps shooter which it's not.

That's not true at all, people have no problem killing, just see the real world in places like Africa and so on. When Anarchy breaks out, nobody gives a shit, it's only when there is a possibility of being judged or caught that people care. It might not be a truth you like, but it's a truth you have to face.

When I started playing a couple of months ago I would never have contemplated killing another player, my first weeks were filled with meeting random people and travelling with them, helping people in sidechat that were stuck somewhere and having them help me too.

Then chat was removed, slowly but surely I was killed over and over and over when trying to talk to or help people. No one ever replies on the voice chat to me, the one time they did he said "yeah man I am friendly" followed by "you are dead you fuck" as I watching him riddle me with bullets.

Killing a bandit is pretty satisfying but they are fairly elusive. Now I have two playstyles, lone wolf and bandit. If I spawn near a city I will simply run in there grab some basic weapons, get in my hiding spot and just watch and wait on people to come by me and I will kill them, usually get around 10 murders before anyone works out where I am. Its fun and there is no guilt involved because it's a fresh character just sprinting in to a city to cause havoc, the only time you get a decent rush is if you stumble on someone with some great gear, at that point I will loot them and head out in to the country to go lone wolf. If i spawn away from a city i just play the survival game and don't bother attacking other players, im 100% friendly which usually results in death.