Zalaxy

Not "hiding" a Corpse attracts zombies(New Zombie Spawns)

In a Nutshell:

If a player corpse is not hidden/dug/whatevs away. It becomes a zombie spawn point. The corpse persists until server reset. If no one hides the corpse after a set amount of time, zombies start to spawn in that area. To get rid of the zombies from spawning back in after you kill them, you have to find the player corpse and remove it.

In more detail:

The game as it stands is predictable when playing the zombie survival game. Avoid cities and buildings and you only have to worry about bandits. How many times have you seen a corpse disappear within minutes? What if corpses became a permanent feature until server reset.

The idea itself is pretty straight forward. Player corpses attract zombies. Zombies like to eat you when your alive, so why wouldn't they when your dead if your only a few degrees colder AND stationary. After an X amount of time, zombies start to appear(yum can't you smell that?). Sure you can get rid of the zombies, but why not cut their food supply out first and fight less of them?

Some possible ideas working of this idea:

• Taking out a player camp by dragging player corpses near the camp.
    • If the camp defenders don't find the corpse they have to deal with zombies until server reset.

[*]Using player corpses as a defense.

• Place corpses around your location in key choke points.
    • An attacker is going to have to A. Remove the corpse or B. Shoot zombies which both result in C. Alerting you to their presence.

• Making Inland more dangerous.
    • As it stands going inland is actually safer then the coast if you use half a brain. The only real danger comes from other players killing you. The rest of the time your sprinting from city to city raiding your little viking heart away.
    • Now imagine randomly running and falling into a group of zombies. Adds that extra element.

[*]Zombies become less predictable.

• The current system has one glaring flaw. If there are zombies, then there's loot. The higher density of zombies = better loot.
    • This would add some filler and influence player choice. Should I risk sneaking by this horde for some possible loot?

• Better realism.
    • Corpses disappearing on their own kind of kill it.

[*]Link it to the dog feature.

• As was stated earlier, this feature could be used by players against other players. So they obviously want to hide the bodies spawning the zombies.
    • Have the dog point the general direction of the corpses.

A couple refinements would need to be fleshed out, which I'll detail below.

• Potential Server Load. Would having 100-500 corpses crash a server? If so what other way could we design this feature? Static corpses?
  • More Work(clearing bodies) for the same reward.
  • The suggestion needs further refinement. For example:
    • Would shooting a corpse with a stronger weapon despawn the corpse?
    • Would you be able to burn a corpse with your matchsticks?
    • If your able to burn a corpse, would it attract more zombies then before? or attract the zombies at all?
    • A Difference in Choice: Would a player corpse spawn X amount of zombies(I.E. 1 Corpse feeds/spawn 10 zombies after you kill 10 zombies the corpse disappears and no more zombies) OR would a player corpse spawn infinite zombies for X amount of time?(1 player corpse = 10 minutes of zombie spawn)?
    • Related to your choice above: Would multiple player corpses increase the zombie count? if so, would it be addictive or multiplicative more zombies?

I leave the rest for all of your constructive criticism.

I kinda like the idea. However, its already, at least as far as I want it to be, being implemented in 1.5.8. The runners are going to 'investigate' player deaths now.

[*]Would you be able to burn a corpse with your matchsticks?

[*]If your able to burn a corpse' date=' would it attract more zombies then before? or attract the zombies at all?

[*']A Difference in Choice: Would a player corpse spawn X amount of zombies(I.E. 1 Corpse feeds/spawn 10 zombies after you kill 10 zombies the corpse disappears and no more zombies) OR would a player corpse spawn infinite zombies for X amount of time?(1 player corpse = 10 minutes of zombie spawn)?

[*]Related to your choice above: Would multiple player corpses increase the zombie count? if so, would it be addictive or multiplicative more zombies?

I leave the rest for all of your constructive criticism.

Burn corpse with matches / wood or matches / gas, should definitely attract zombies same as a flare or campfire would, but since your burning human flesh and blood I would think it would attract more. I like it.

Corpses should definitely attract zombies in the immediate area like it does now, but I like your idea as well, maybe have the corpse spawn one zombie a minute, up to 10 total until the corpse is hidden, and if one of the 10 dies and the corpse is still there it will spawn another after a minute keeping the maximum at 10? Kinda like it.

I think multiple corpses should definitely increase the amount of zombies but you would need to definitely need to test it a bunch and tweak it so it feels right, so its not too OP, but also keeps things interesting.

Zombies should also investigate other zombie's deaths, not just player death's if they are in range of hearing / seeing it.. only makes sense, they are attracted to sounds / smells, and to a very limited perception of sight.

I fully support both burning corpses and hiding corpses otherwise zombies spawn

I think that's something that could be exploited rather easily. I thinking burning bodies to attract zombies would be cool, but zombies spawning on dead player bodies could get out of hand. I think it'd be better if there were zombie hordes that kinda roamed the map, such as following roads or roaming through the woods. Make it a little more dangerous.

How about if a player dies from a zombie, after, say, 20 minutes that corpse turns into a zombie? Then all the items that player died with is still lootable.

I like that too Ash, or...

"Corpses should definitely attract zombies in the immediate area like it does now, but I like your idea as well, maybe have the corpse spawn one zombie a minute, up to 10 total until the corpse is hidden"

Or after the 10 minutes and 10 zombie spawns the corpse turns into a zombie himself, and after awhile all the zombies eventually roam off as singles or a group or randomly in search for food, and if you kill the resurrected player zombie you can loot whatever was still on him after the 10 minutes if he is not hidden.

I can imagine zombies in the surrounding area coming to the corpse to perhaps finish it off, but not spawning new ones. Unless its the now deceased player turning into a zombie. It'd make looting a corpse too troublesome for what its worth. Especially now that the mod has amped up the zombie count.

What I would like to see is a zombie reskin of the player models (granted that the corpses can turn into zombies after they die from zombie related deaths), so that when you're out and about and stumble across a zombie player model, you can go "oh sad, this zombie was once a live player. I wonder if she/he has any loot left". Perhaps the zombie even being stronger then your average, common zombie, acting as a mini-boss

well the thing is the way I say it would give more risk to bandits, which is good for the flow of the game, its a survival game but the game is meant so that no one can last forever even if they try to avoid zombies and pray on just players.

The zombies spawning on the dead players in one minute intervals on top of dead player bodies attracting zombies in the immediate area, would help balance shit out with bandits, because if there is more then one player and the bandit is laying prone somewhere in a tree line, they can sometime take out a whole group, ive seen it happen before, this would balance it so the bandit will eventually have to move on, loot quickly, whatever, hide bodies otherwise he will be a risk of zombies as well, rather than isolating himself from that side of the game and just harassing other players all the time.

this is obviously tweak able so you can make it 20 or 30 minutes instead of 10 with the 10 zombies and then the player corpse turning into a zombie itself. or even tweak the amount of zombies that spawn off of it, to make it balanced / fun.

but I definitely think it could be a move in the right direction, everyone needs to be on their toes in the zombie apocalypse .