ynefel

US 295 being shut down for good.

Hey all,

Just a quick notice to everyone that after much thought and debate with my co-admin, US 295 will not be renewed for next month.

We have decided in the current state of draconian DayZ regulations, poor quality server hosting and general idiotic player attitudes, there is absolutely no reason to keep doing what we've been doing for the past 2 months.

I've made a rant or two about this before, but this will probably be my last major post, and I'd like to have another crack at summarising everything that (I think) is wrong with the community as a whole.

Players : Most players seem to be out to enjoy the game, play fairly and immerse themselves in what I'll say again is one of the most original and exciting mods I've seen for over a decade. These people make the game a joy to play with. Fair play, and positive attitudes make a world of difference. Players that don't alt+F4 at the first sign of trouble. Players that don't run screaming to the forums every time they die or something happens that they don't like.

Then there's the other types of players. The ones that combat log, ghost, make ridiculous profane/racist names, the hackers, the little children that cry admin abuse every time a server crashes and they forget to save their car/tent or something. Sadly, the idiots are the ones that clog the forums with their inane and unrelenting garbage. They make the most noise, and reflect poorly on the community as a whole. They force admins to have to leap to their defense at every turn. You don't hear from the good people, because they're busy playing and enjoying the game.

Admins : In my limited experience, most admins are mature people trying to run a clean server for themselves and the community. Again, we don't hear when people are doing the right thing, or doing a great job. We only hear from people who whether justly or not, have bad things to say about admins. Many of the 'shitty admin' posts are perfectly justified - there is some pretty terrible admins running servers for themselves and their friends, not adhering to even basic etiquette and generally painting a piss poor picture of all admins, and ones like myself are thrown in there. Guilty by association. It's horseshit. Whenever any issues arise, admins are pretty much guilty until proven innocent with irrefutable video proof. It's insane. I understand that we don't want a case of the 'he said, she saids' it doesn't work. But the attitude is, without fail, every single time that the admin is somehow at fault.

We get absolutely zero appreciation from the community at large for a service we provide voluntarily. I give my time and money freely to run a server. Not just for everyone else, but myself of course - I have a place to call home. I don't expect immunity or the ability to flaunt the rules, but I would like a measure of respect, patience and understanding from everyone when issues arise.

Instead, we get naught but posts from users screaming that we've done something wrong and we should get blacklisted. We never receive thanks for what we do. In the entire time I've run the server, I've had TWO people say, 'Thanks for your work, I appreciate what you do - keep it up.'

Two.

I don't do this for the thanks. I don't need it - but come on. It wouldn't hurt. Even if you don't want to thank us, at the very least stop, breathe and think logically before coming to the forums to bleat 'abuse!' for the 763rd time today.

We have to check the forums multiple times daily, and I've even had to purchase and run fraps full time when playing the game, just so I can have proof ready in case I need to defend myself. Not cool.

Server hosters : We have hosted our dedicated and managed server with HFB for around 2 months, maybe less and have not had any trouble. Until the end of the first month. Our box runs an unactivated, trial version of Windows Server 2008 R2. Activation grace period expired at the end of the first month, and I had to sit on TS for 2 days to ask what they could do for me. I was given a temporary key that activated it for another 180 days, but come on. It's still not even registered, it's a loophole on the trial period, which I'm sure is legal - but my God does it feel dodgy.

Then, Firedaemon expired.This took another 2 days on TS to get a response, despite watching HFB staff join, leave and move around channels in general. I was responded to by HFB himself, who informed me I should just set the clock back a year and that'll fix it. Good lord. Really? I was also told Firedaemon was a temporary solution and we were supposed to find our own replacement.

So let me get this straight - I'm paying you $90 per month, for a dedicated server, which includes an extra cost for 'management' and that's the response we get? We've updated DayZ, A2 beta patches, mission files etc ourselves since the start. That's fine, I'd rather do it myself, but since setting the server up, we've had NOTHING from HFB, but delayed responses, shit service and a generally shady, uneasy feeling regarding the whole thing.

Piss poor.

DayZ devs : The arrogance that exudes from the DayZ devs is mind boggling. I understand they have a monumental task in front of them, and the amount of flat out idiocy that flows from this community is equally astounding. I'll give them a measure of understanding for that, because it must be hard.

But the lack of understanding and feedback from the devs on this forum is crazy. There's an underlying attitude that comes through of - 'this is the way it is, if you don't like it, go away' That's not going to ensure the longevity of this mod, let me tell you.

Instead of figuring out what's wrong or getting involved in the community, they intervene and put in some more rules and regulations, along with the ultimate threat of *gasp* blacklisting! Please. You can't be a little more inventive or proactive than that?

-

In summary, I can't seen any good reason to keep doing this. I've put my time, money, and effort into this mod - both playing it and running a server for the community. Both aspects are suffering at present. I get absolutely nothing out of running server. Nothing. And to the inevitable responses of 'but you're getting the satisfaction of knowing you're helping the community!' - no, I'm not. I get no satisfaction because it's a laborious task with not only no thanks, but constant negative shit to go with it.

I'll keep playing occasionally, but my days as an admin are numbered. The ungrateful idiots that make all the noise can thank themselves for this. I know I won't be the only to be doing this either. I don't advocate other admins taking the same path as me, everyone has different opinions, but I see a trend emerging. Unless the players, admins and devs as a whole start lifting their game, this mod is fucked.

• Like 21

Damn, just bought a server with my team. Maybe I should re-consider..

I've already noticed a huge lack as too the freedom that I have being a admin, it fells like I just donated to the server than actually buying it.

If you think that the rules are draconian then you are making the right choice. I am sorry to hear this.

This isn't even a game or a mod; it's an alpha. You should be testing it not playing it. Things will sort themselves out when the alpha gets more developed. Until then, be smart and make the right decisions.

Edited by BobJoeXXI

If you think that the rules are draconian then you are making the right choice. I am sorry to hear this.

This isn't even a game or a mod; it's an alpha. You should be testing it not playing it. Things will sort themselves out when the alpha gets more developed. Until then, be smart and make the right decisions.

This mod being alpha, beta, or final is completely irrelevant. The shitty attitudes across the board is what's bought this about - and there's no excuse or explanation that makes it OK.

But again, this is my choice and I don't expect anyone to agree with it.

This mod being alpha, beta, or final is completely irrelevant. The shitty attitudes across the board is what's bought this about - and there's no excuse or explanation that makes it OK.

I fail to see the shitty attitudes on the forums excluding the obvious trolls. I also fail to see how supposed shitty attitudes on the forums would impede the server you provide/provided.

Edited by BobJoeXXI

I fail to see the shitty attitudes on the forums excluding the obvious trolls. I also fail to see how supposed shitty attitudes on the forums would impede the server you provide/provided.

... because that same shitty attitude you see on these forums are the same ones playing the game regularly. The forum users here aren't a minority. Really reminds me of Reddit and 4chan, honestly. Same crowd if I had to take a guess.

... because that same shitty attitude you see on these forums are the same ones playing the game regularly. The forum users here aren't a minority. Really reminds me of Reddit and 4chan, honestly. Same crowd if I had to take a guess.

Again, ignoring the obvious trolls...

Beans to the OP

One of ours will go away next month. Maybe the other if the crap keeps up.

Again, ignoring the obvious trolls...

Yes, and the 'obvious trolls' encompasses quite a few users. I've already ran into a few. You get them in every game, but it's pretty bad here.

We cancelled our retail server too. Its just a joke and I'll be trying to mod my own version from this point on. Rocket, please go back to the army. Go shoot some shit. Leave the games to actual devs.

Edited by rinaun

Beans to you. I will talk with the person who owns the server I help with. We might take ours down.

i agree, many times people have screamed at me and mine when we kill people the bastardy and cunty behavior from people on this forum is ridiculous, you write a comment or reply to a thread or start a thread and you are barraged with nothing but bullshit. ad its always the same old thing they reply with lol, the people replying to a majority of my posts arent even aware of the reasons behind the issue they seem to advocate as leaving broken. it really is a pathetic attitude.

and whats with all the retards crying about bandits constantly killing you? go back to hello kitty.

Edited by rikta

Seems like plenty of people are more than happy to follow the rather simple rules and provide stable test environments.

You're not. That's okay.

Two new servers came online in the time it took you to write this.

Seems like plenty of people are more than happy to follow the rather simple rules and provide stable test environments.

You're not. That's okay.

Please show me the stats on that because I'll call bullshit first before anyone else. They if anything have already jumped the shark. You don't notice all the empty servers?

Yes, and the 'obvious trolls' encompasses quite a few users. I've already ran into a few. You get them in every game, but it's pretty bad here.

how convenient one showed up >>>

You're not. That's okay.

how convenient one showed up >>>

Oh, surprise finding you here. Please begin the tirades of obscenely insulting posts lacking paragraphs and punctuation.

Just the sort of people these "asshole devs" should be giving more power to...

Laughable.

Oh, surprise finding you here. Please begin the tirades of obscenely insulting posts lacking paragraphs and punctuation.

Just the sort of people these "asshole devs" should be giving more power to...

Laughable.

lol typical self righteous troll. back to picking up halfway through a conversation and adding your 5 cents i see, seems to me your opinion doesn't fit here. original poster gets 12 beans + u get none. speaks for itself really.

that aside not really that surprising seeing you here, begs the question, someone with over 1000 posts cant have played the game so much as sat on the forums and trolled. i think you are a no lifer and that's all well and good but don't expect anyone to take you seriously. lol.

Edited by rikta
  • Like 2

Please show me the stats on that because I'll call bullshit first before anyone else. They if anything have already jumped the shark. You don't notice all the empty servers?

Uhh, yeah. I did. Which is the evidence that plenty of new servers are coming online since the number of players and players per 24h has gone up every day for a month.

92,000 new players in the past 4 days, and we still have empty servers.

Exactly why the ones that get shut down because the server owners can't ban people for stealing their vehicles anymore won't be missed.

Just go away quietly if you want to shut your server down. You're not that important.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Uhh, yeah. I did. Which is the evidence that plenty of new servers are coming online since the number of players and players per 24h has gone up every day for a month.

just ignore him rinaun he is an immature kid fanboy who cant handle change it scares him. lol

that aside not really that surprising seeing you here, begs the question, someone with over 1000 posts cant have played the game so much as sat on the forums and trolled. i think you are a no lifer and that's all well and good but don't expect anyone to take you seriously. lol.

just ignore him rinaun he is an immature kid fanboy who cant handle change it scares him. lol

*flicks cigarette*

Yet another thread on basically the same topic... They didn't lock enough others for your tastes?

Surely a big part of what's going on is partly because with the alpha and the OA beta changing versions so often, and with so many servers being taken offline or coming online, or just being reorganised and renamed, it's impossible as a player or small group to stick to one server or even group of servers. Besides which, the dog-eat-dog mentality of this game means that a s communities develop, there's always going to be outsiders. This is exacerbated by the fact that's DayZ, perhaps uniquely, has no story and no endgame. There are no common goals, and there's no way to really win. It's all about the metagaming, the crafty things people can do with ghosting and hopping, and it spills into the forums here. You should probably have realised this when you rented a server, OP. I can't speak as to the treatment from the devs, but as you noted, they get an allowance for the fact that this game has absolutely exploded and they're struggling to cope. Give them a break, and wake up. Server admin are to be thanked, but having been one myself in various FPS titles, as you may have been yourself, you quickly come to realise it's a relatively thankless job. You do it because it benefits the community you're part of, and deal with pub players as a necessary part of the game you enjoy. But DayZ imposes other limitations, whether from the model the devs have in mind and the restrictions on kicking and admin behaviours, or simply due to the aforementioned point to do with the game itself and the fragmented community it's engendered.

Edited by buttersoft

Oh look...it's Zed's Dead and the homo Magotchi coming in to derail another thread about a fed up admin.

Wipe the dev cum off of your chins guys, you really are quite disgusting.

I've already pulled my servers and am aligning with a group of other server hosters with dedicated boxes...we're all creating a brand new hive cluster.

Any dedicated box owners out there that want to run a new, free from oppression...private hive...message me...for as long as I'm not banned by this oppressive dev and mod team.

• Like 2