Sign in to follow this  
Vicriv8282

Randomly Scripted Events Ideas

By randomely scripted events, I mean scripted events that occur at random times, in random places and offer a suggestive objective.

For example: You are about to enter Elecktro to go on a supply run. Suddenly, the sound of an airplane can be heard. You look up and see a cargo plane flying in the distance. The plane is controlled by the game and not by players. The cargo plane then drops a few cargo cans of random supplies. Should you go to the supply drop knowing that other players might have seen it too? Will the random supplies be worth the risk? Or are you a bandit seeing this as an oppertunity to hunt. Did any infected hear the crash and are investigating too? If you are lucky, the cans dropped close to your location and you can grab what you need and run before anyone else shows up.

That's what I mean by suggestive objectives. It's completely optional and it makes you think of risk versus reward which is an important part of the game.

Another example: You and your friends are in Cherno when you see a large mass of infected approaching the city from the woods, running together and all in the same direction. Like a zombie stampede. You and your friends run to the nearest building and hide until the wave of death passes. One survivor didn't see the horde coming, was caught off guard and was quickly finished off.

In this case, the objective of the random event is to hide until the stampede passes.

(And, yes, I do know that this idea is a driect copy of the Herd from the Walking Dead franchise. Never the less, I think it is a perfect fit for DayZ).

In order to prevent these events from getting old, they should only occur at most twice within a 24 hour period. That, mixed with the sheer size of the map, should make the events feel fresh and exciting (or terrifying) if you happen to come across them.

DayZ in no way NEEDS these mechanics. I'm not even sure if it's possible with the Arma 2 engine. This is just an idea I had while playing the game.

What do YOU think?

• Like 3

Personally I love the idea of this type of occurence. Make the world a little more dynamic while still keeping it completely sandbox.

• Like 1

i like the idea of random events.. helicopter crashes are.. kind of like that? in a way. because its random for ever server.. but anyhow, the games still in alpha and some of this might have to wait for arma 3

The whole roaming zombie mob has been suggested so many times, however I agree that random events would be cool.

If for nothing else it would keep people on their toes who spend all day/night in the woods away from danger.

Personally I love the idea of this type of occurence. Make the world a little more dynamic while still keeping it completely sandbox.

On Fallout NV there was a perk which enabled it, I think. WAS AMAZING.

It's a decent idea, but won't happen with the Arma II engine.

They'd have to have realistic ideas too, they can't have airplanes dropping supplies, that ruins the exploration feel, and is totally unrealistic. Military would not be giving survivors supplies, if anything they would be carpet bombing the cities. Now, before you say this game/mod doesn't need to be realistic. This game is a military simulator so it is suppose to be realistic. This is a mod for a military simulator, so it needs to stick with realism.

If Rocket didn't want it to be realistic, it would be a mod for another game, because Arma II is all about realism.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this kind of idea. Day Z is a "sand box" and I for one love finding more toys in the sand box! I'll never understand people that view content as "bad". :)

I like the cargo plane idea, but the zombie idea, not so much. I think the zombie idea would cause a massive lag on the server (If you want zombies to infest a whole city, you need hundreds of zombies)

They'd have to have realistic ideas too, they can't have airplanes dropping supplies, that ruins the exploration feel, and is totally unrealistic. Military would not be giving survivors supplies, if anything they would be carpet bombing the cities. Now, before you say this game/mod doesn't need to be realistic. This game is a military simulator so it is suppose to be realistic. This is a mod for a military simulator, so it needs to stick with realism.

If Rocket didn't want it to be realistic, it would be a mod for another game, because Arma II is all about realism.

If the cargo is crashing, the boxes could drop.

Edited by MeDuzZ-

IDIOT!!!!!!

The zombies in the game are very realistic, just like the real life ones.

This is a great idea that would be relatively simple to implement, if perhaps difficult to balance. All the assets for plane crashes or cargo drops are already there. I also like some of the stuff on the Day Z urban legends thread, make random scary shit happen at night.

I don't want to see Green Mountain more terrifying then it already is.

I definitely like the zombie hoard idea. How f'ing scary would it be to be looting the supermarket, getting ready to sneak out of the city, only to turn the corner and see your planned exfiltration route blocked by a hoard of zombies. Not thrilled with the supply drop idea though.

Good ideas and very possible. The stampede would probably be limited to smaller amount of zombies though. Good ideas.