Sign in to follow this  
mccullxch

Should I add sniper hotspots on maps?

Would you like to see sniper hotspots?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see sniper hotspots?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bandit's click here, we know you will answer no.

I've been looking over the loot maps that are on various websites and I have yet to see one that has commonly used sniper locations, I have decided to ask the community if you'd like to see a map that shows prime sniper locations so that you know where to look before scouting any major city.

This map would be able to be used along with the loot maps so that you can check the commonly known spots before looting a specific city.

I understand that bandit's will not like this as they like to be kept hidden but if you're sick of getting killed by them this would make it much easier to track their location.

Well anyway this is the end of the post, if you'd like to show support to this map please post and vote on the poll.

Edited by Ryzo

Intelligent players know these spots. Giving them out will just increase their usage.

Good idea!

But...

inB4:

• Sniper locations
  • sniper locations to snipe the snipers.
  • Sniper locations to snipe the snipers' sniper.
  • Deep Woods

• Like 1

Sniping fags know these spots. Giving them out will just increase their usage.

Fixed.

-MONSTER

Intelligent players know these spots. Giving them out will just increase their usage.

We're gaining players rapidly that have no idea where to look for enemies scouting out major cities, this would greatly increase their knowledge and give them a tactical advantage before looting cities.

Maybe I don't want them to have a tactical advantage, they need to be thrown in just like the rest of us were.

• Like 3

Maybe I don't want them to have a tactical advantage, they need to be thrown in just like the rest of us were.

I don't agree with this at all, if I didn't have survival tips when I started out then I'd not be the player I am today.

I suppose we all have our opinions.

Definitely not and voted no.

My reasoning is that static information made readily available lessens the experience of the game.

I already heavily rely and have relied on different kinds of 3rd party maps and loot maps and loot tables etc... and while they are highly useful, they have robbed me of the experience of finding out myself and enjoyment of surprises and exploration.

Having sniper hotspots told out to everyone on a visual map would just kill yet another enjoyment out of the game. Doing your own research, finding the best spots yourself, overplaying others with your own hard work.

Edited by Daddy'o

No.

It's not only bandits who use spots like this.

It's okay, i've already done it!

http://i48.tinypic.com/fwma8y.jpg

If people are too dumb to work out that there might be snipers lurking in high value loot locations / open terrain that's passed a lot by people / rolling high FOV hill sides / high population cities then they frankly deserve to learn where those "spots" are the hard way -- With a bullet to the face, they'll be a bit more careful next time.

Or should we hold everyone's hands in case they have to work something out for themselves?

Seriously? The generation that gets smiley face stickers whether they win or loose a game -- just for taking part! :rolleyes:

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 4

I don't agree with this at all, if I didn't have survival tips when I started out then I'd not be the player I am today.

I suppose we all have our opinions.

You don't learn from your own actions?

my passive aggressive comment aside - to me, that is part of the fun of it.

As a bandit, I can tell you most bandits snipe from exactly the same spots over and over, it's how I get a full kit of gear after one hour of spawning. Most common area in the whole game is probably sniper hill at north elecktro.

It's all common sense really. If you can see a vantage point from where you are standing, a sniper might be there. Use common sense and use cover.

People shouldn't even be given loot spots IMO.

You learn with experience, DayZ is about survival with barely anything, this is what in-game maps are for.

Don't help people, let them earn it!!

Doesnt seem really necessary, sniper spots are the spots where you have a good view of the town or whatever, so its going to be high on a hill, on a building etc.

Hey, knock yourself out.

I'm still waiting for the db team to get their shit together and fix the heli crash sites on their map >: O

As a side note, a good sniper would know better than to use common spots. A good sniper can adapt and turn nearly any location into a perch from which to play the Reaper.

I want to force snieprs to be a little more clever than they think they are. let them hunt for new and more unlikely spots. I want these legacy locations to become highly trafficked until they learn. Also I snipe a lot, so you have my blessing.

We're gaining players rapidly that have no idea where to look for enemies scouting out major cities, this would greatly increase their knowledge and give them a tactical advantage before looting cities.

the thing new players need to learn to survive here, is they need to look EVERYWHERE. those trees? check em, the ridgeline 300m out, check it.

you can give them a loot map, a camp map, and the best guns in teh game, it wont save their life. most of them will look right at a sniper, and miss him entirely.

they NEED to learn how to be as omni aware as possible if they want to survive, pointing out common spots will breed a fasle sense of security which will only make the problem worse. once they learn how to look around, and how to observe, they will natrually be able to deduce where the best vantage points are.

the thing new players need to learn to survive here, is they need to look EVERYWHERE. those trees? check em, the ridgeline 300m out, check it.

yep, it will just give players false security when they don't see anyone in the popular sniper spots

When it comes to information, I say the more the better, so I voted yes. Thanks in advance for the work putting this together.

Everyone seems to draw the line in a different spot for this mod when it comes to external help. Some folks use all the loot maps they can find, others refuse to use any kind of external map at all. I imagine a few truly hardcore players don't even use the wiki or read the changelogs so they really play blind. :)

As amazing as it is, I feel that the DayZdb map already lessens the experience. I really do miss the days of having to actually search to survive instead of heading exactly where you want to go.

So no, I don't like this idea.

Yes. Don't listen to the idiots who think new people should get sniped all day long by 420n0s0op3pr0z.

I don't think you understand how people work, dumbass. :huh:

Make a map of "popular sniping sites" and "safe spots" -- Cool...

...Now what happens?

Newbies run into these safe spots and depopulate the other spots. People think the snipers will stay there? No, they will stay just outside of there and snipe people when they leave the popular sniping sites and feel safe. Maybe they'll go wait at a deer stand en route to an airfield or a field between Cherno and Zelen~.

The only thing you need to know to find a sniping spot is to ask yourself a few questions:

-Is it open?

-Are there a lot of people who pass through here?

-Is there a place that dishes out sought after loot or supplies?

-Are there hills or tall buildings that offer someone a high FOV?

-If you were to have a sniper rifle and kill someone, where would you be?

-If you had to think of the most obvious "easy run straight there" route from popular location A to B, what would it be?

Now avoid all that shit, because someone's probably sniping there. Plan your routes to avoid obvious sniping places. Keep to the forest, use hills to block potential sniper spots, zig zag, jump from cover to cover and change direction in case someone is tailing you, go out of your way to run that extra 1,000m just to avoid the "popular path". Use your binos to have a look at suspect tree lines / bushes / commanding buildings.

Look on any of the interactive maps online which show you loot spots. High loot value spots or high population hot spots such as airports, fire stations, millitary tents, hospitals, supermarkets and especially Cherno / Elektro WILL lure in snipers because it's where people go. If you're shocked that a sniper shot you there, then you're fucking special in the head. It's common sense and if you need a map to show you common sense then you deserve to die.

Use your noggin, or have it shot off.

Edited by itputsthelotion