petko

Zombie spawn (and respawn) logic suggetions

Greetings!

If I may, I would like to drop in a few remark on the zombie spawn system.

You must know that for me, I also joined up now with the 1.5.7., so I don't have much information on the previous version and what was different then with less zombies.

But I must point out, that I think it would be much better for the sake of the game flow and player satisfaction, that a town or installation could be cleared out entirely, that no Z respawns there while the player(s) are there. It really annoying, when the Z-s constantly spawn somewhere, and the player can just kill them until infinity. Or they just spawn 5 meters further on the corner unexpectedly.

I think a good solution would be, to not let any Z to respawn in the 500m area of a player, and don’t let any respawn happen in this “touched” area (even after the player leaves) for at least a half an hour. They would still appear in the untouched towns, installations while the player(s) are approaching in the ring made between the visibility distance radius - and the 500m radius. But after they are killed there, they won’t respawn if the player(s) stays there, and even if he leaves they will only reappear for the next visitor(s) after 30 mins.

In turn, there should be Z spawning (in the mentioned ring around the player in the “untouched” area) anywhere besides built areas (so I mean forests, country roads, farmlands etc.) in a noise like pattern with a low probability factor.

All my ideas come from the thought on a possible future outcome of the game, where in this semi-MMO type world, maybe player build little outposts, trading hubs, clan bases etc. could evolve. (if that’s possible with the 50-100 player limited instances). Zombies should not spawn in a player controlled area.

But also in the future, this could develop into Z raids, to make a meaning for defending such position. For example a player controlled town, installation etc. is occasionally attacked by Z raids, which consist of (maybe multiple) groups of 10-30 Z which spawn in the far "untouched" 500-2000m ring region and they get themselves an attack waypoint to converge on the position of the town or installation. There could be also a sparse ring formation spawning all around and converging on the center.

I hope my writing is comprehensible enough on what I wanted to say.

It's a bug. Wait for the new version ;)

OK, thank you! I will do that!

That and zombies only spawn when players are a certain distance to them to avoid lag among other things, so that could get pretty awkward if they mess with it too much. :P

It didn't seem to change much. I just hope, that I'm not the one, whom Rocket is calling carebare. Hopefully in the long term mine and his concept on the game mechanism will come together.

If the zombies respawn in an area constantly, then the players can't achieve the statisfaction of clearing the area out. It's just frustrating if they just keep coming, until the ammo runs out.

And honeslty, I'm the unfortunate one, who doesn't like to sneak around forever. Never really liked the stealth oriented games.

Im hoping its fixed, good idea and has been menctioned before, if you clear out the town either on purpose or in defense you should get your rewards, not prepare for the second wave!

I am the sneaky type, but i would also like that when i f up, and end up having to mow down allot of z's, AND i manage to survive doing it, that i could atleast get the loot i attempted to sneak my ass too.

At the moment, if i get spotted, i just run like hell, untill i am far enough away from the town, to dispatch the zombies, and i have to retry.

I stood my ground once, and i ended up with 1000 blood, in pain (vision was blurry like hell, i needed painkillers) but i had no good way to obtain them, because even thought i had wacked off 30 zombies, was almost out of ammo, luckily not bleeding, in severe pain... I STILL had to sneak around, because while i killed pretty much every z in that town (very small village btw), they were already everywhere again, and i almost died once when i had plenty of winchester ammo, and a clear vision, and a good amount of health.

I basicly had no reward from surviving. Other then 5 more minutes of gametime with the char, which was spent crawling trying to make out if the blurry figure infront of me was a zombie, or a mailbox, 5 minutes of scavenging before the next zombie wave would off been nice

The change I think would be best is giving more silent ways to take out zombies, such as melee weapons, and then spawn zombies according to the noise you make. So, if you run through town shooting your gun, zombies just keep coming, but if you are sneaky and quietly eliminate just the few zombies necessary to get where you want, no more spawn. This way, you can make the cities feel like they were actually populated without killing the servers.

So' date=' if you run through town shooting your gun, zombies just keep coming, ....

[/quote']

OH NOES!