Sign in to follow this  
tpenn

Consensus on Veteran Mode

If the mod can't control it, we should have some sort of consensus on veteran mode (preferably that it remain on for all servers). At the moment it's a bit silly to walk into servers with crosshairs and third person and be able to scrollwheel/spacebar to bring up infinite-distance IFF radar in a game that's supposed to be a simulation.

I'd like to see all servers run vet mode, but more importantly is that they all run the same mode whatever it is. It greatly changes the way the mod is played.

I support this. For such a masochistic and 'realistic' gamemode such as this, casual things like being able to see around corners and pinpoint hip-firing should be gotten rid of.

TBH, I can't understand why it wasn't set to this in the first place.

I say no just because look at the interest that this has brought into ARMA why should it be risked alienating players who don't normally play the way we do. If we continue trying to make this as realistic as possible we run the risk of growing the community at this point. We shouldn't change it because this a mod in the alpha stage why should we be worrying about server settings when we should be more worried about making the game work right. Ive seen so many people have bugs they should report but they don't because they are to lazy to take a moment from playing to report it.

i know I will lose a lot of interest in this mod if there is no 3rd person mod. even arma devs say 3rd mod is somewhat more realistic than fps. can youtube the vid if you want.

I'd want to keep third person. "IFF" and crosshairs can go though.

I only play on the EU servers because I like the feel of the game without any kind of crosshairs IFF or the worst 3rd person view.

I don't get why anyone would want 3rd person outside of a consolegame anyway.

If we continue trying to make this as realistic as possible we run the risk of growing the community at this point. We shouldn't change it because this a mod in the alpha stage why should we be worrying about server settings when we should be more worried about making the game work right.

The impact it has on the game and the ability to switch it without even touching a line of code means its quite easily the biggest change that can be made with zero effort' date=' so alpha is no excuse.

Can I just note here we are playing a game where 1 shot will kill you, where spooking a zombie horde almost always means death, where the map consists of over 225km2 of travel without fast-transport means, and finally where "respawning" means you start new.

You can rest assure lack of 3rd person or crosshairs isn't going to be the "zomg too real" that's going to drive them off. If anything I'd be more concerned about driving off the regular sim crowd by including such arcade-y features.

i know I will lose a lot of interest in this mod if there is no 3rd person mod. even arma devs say 3rd mod is somewhat more realistic than fps. can youtube the vid if you want.

no, post the vid or proof if you want, otherwise don't post baseless comments because in no way ever is 3rd person more realistic than fps (unless the survivors have mutated to grow large camera booms protruding out the back of their necks).

I think in terms of awareness and peripheral vision, 3rd person is more accurate. 1st person is like looking through a small window.

I will use 1st person once I get head-tracking working...then at least I can constantly look around and move

Only US3 and 4 have Vet mode correct? Disappointing as how its my favorite mode but the two servers are always locked.

I think in terms of awareness and peripheral vision' date=' 3rd person is more accurate. 1st person is like looking through a small window.

I will use 1st person once I get head-tracking working...then at least I can constantly look around and move

[/quote']

Make the ALT key your friend! (I almost always have my ALT key depressed, taking in the full scenery).

ARMA also has peripheral vision markers, look for the white dots on the edges of your screen.

And I'm pretty sure FOV is tied to resolution, so if you want more peripheral just increase your horizontal resolution. In either case I'm pretty sure FOV is beyond the industry-typical 75deg, so already ARMA has better peripheral to boot (yet many people never seem to complain about needing 3rd person while playing those "other" combat shooters).

You could be playing at an FOV of 60 degrees and that still wouldn't be as immersion shattering and unbelievable as being able to see your entire body in 360 degrees.

I think people have gotten too used to having 3rd person available and while they can get away with it making their game easier, they will. Once the crutch is removed, everyone will get used to the increased realism of first-person. It happened in PR, and I could be wrong, but seeing as this mod is pretty ruthless in terms of damage and respawning I have a feeling it's going for that same kind of realism.

I'm in favour of removing it. I've exploited the ability to see over walls/around corners many times, SP and MP, and I think it's ridiculous, especially with the harshness the mod's aiming for.

ARMA also has peripheral vision markers' date=' look for the white dots on the edges of your screen.

[/quote']

There are no magic markers in veteran mode.

I'm all for it.