zeald

ZealD's new Inventory System

Hello all! I love DayZ and I also love game design. I love playing the game, but I also like breaking down its components and building them up from scratch in a more robust and better way. Of course this is something Rocket and his team would like to do with a stand-alone-game in the future so I'm hoping they can draw at least some measure of inspiration from this post.

I am a 23 year old game designer, at least thats what my bachelors degree tell me. In fact I'm working as a 3D artist at the moment, but game design is a hobby I can't stop doing. I love creating systems that work, and recently I've attacked the inventory system of DayZ, trying to improve what I can. Enough about me, let's get to the point!

The issue of the current system

The current system is not very intuitive, in fact I'd go so far as calling it counter intuitive for new players. A good game system should be easy to understand and function as the player expects it to the first time they use it. DayZ's inventory system does none of these if you ask me. The player ends up spending to much time managing the inventory when urgency is the priority. Bugs and poorly designed systems make items disappear and confuses the player.

Solution to the problem

As you will se further down the post my proposition is extensive. It does not only change the current inventory system, but also lays the framework for a more teambased game. With my brand panking new inventory system players will not only feel the pros of having squadmates, but it will also give players dedicated roles without introducing common RPG elements such as stats and "points"

The inventory

The current inventory consists of a primary and secondary weapon slot, a inventory, a backpack and a tool section. Where different items are categorized is not very intuitive, it feels like they are placed where they should not be. Like bandages going in the secondary ammo slot, and primary ammo going in the inventory.

I propose a solution where each player has a maximum carrying capacity of 48 slots from the start.

The 48 slots are devided between four categories: Backpack, Medic Pouch, Ammo Belt and Toolbox. Each item the player finds go in one, and only one of these categories. A bandage goes in the medical pouch and a magazine for the primary goes in the ammo belt. Each of the categories requires a storage item, such as a 8 slot backpack or a 10 slot ammo belt. These should of course be lootable in the game.

Lets say the player starts out with a 6 slot backpack, a 4 slot medic puch, a 4+4 (will explaint his further down) slot ammo belt and a 4 slot toolbox. Thats 18 slots of the total 48 slots taken. If the player finds a new 16 slot backpack, thats 28 slots taken. So this is roughly how my new inventory system works. What I think this will do to the game is that it will give players certain roles to commit to. A medic would have s huge supply of medical items, letting the assault players carry only what little they really, really need, going all in for ammunition and explosives. The scout, or looter, has a huge backpack and is ready to run into Stary Sobor's tents to grab with him as many guns as he can, together with food and water from the supermarket. But what if they find a broken down car? Don't worry, the engineer with only one primary weapon has a huge toolbox with all sorts of car parts ready to go.

This new system would have to add a bunch of new conteiner items such as backpacks in different sized. Backpacks with 28, 32, 36 and 40 slots should be available, but the rarity would of course increase with the slot capacity.

You probably noticed the 4+4 ammo belt I mentioned earlier. The first of the numbers define the slot for which the player can store ammunition for the primary and secondary weapon. If you have a lee enfield the ammunition for this would first and foremost go into this category. If you find a granade or a magazine for a AKM it would go into the general ammo belt conteiner, defined by the last number. A ammo belt with 6+12 can then carry 6 primary and secondary ammunition, and has 12 slots for other ammo items. Its only the last number that defines the space the ammo belt takes up in the overall 48 slots.

http://img822.images...yzinventory.png

As you can see here the player has all his 48 inventory slots taken by a 24 slot backpack, a 6 slot medic pouch, a 8+6 slot ammo belt and a 12 slot toolbelt. If the player was to find a 30 slot backpack and wanted to use, then he would have to remove one of the bags already in place, or switch one of the other bags in with a 6 slot smaller one.

The ammo belt has 8 slots for ammunition for the primary and secondary weapons, 4 for each. The player can drag empty magazine slots and drop them in the grey ones. This will remove one slot from where you dragged it and add one to where you put it. If you dragged one slot from the secondary to the primary in this case you would have 5 ammo slots for the primary and 3 for the secondary.

NOTE:

Backpack: Food, Drink, Weapons, Night Vision

Medic Pouch: Bandages, Painkillers, Bloodbags, Morphine, Antibiotics, and other medical stuff.

Ammo Belt: Granades, Smoke Granades, M203 Granades / Smoke, Magazines for other weapons

Toolbox: All current tools, vehicle parts, traps / wire / sandbags

This is a rough layout of the inventory system I propose for a standalone game such as this. I would give the incentive to join groups and take on roles. The numbers seen in the post might have to be refined for optimal balance at a later stage, though the message I want to convey should be clearly communicated. I hope you enjoyed this read, though it might be a bit long. Feel free to bash my idea or give me constrictive feeback!

ZealD, out!

Edited by ZealD
  • Like 15

Love this idea, hope Rocket accepts you into the Dev Team

P.S Heres My Beans :)

Love this idea, hope Rocket accepts you into the Dev Team

P.S Heres My Beans :)

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your support, and I love beans!

I agree the current system is bad. I personally would hate any system where I cannot put x in storage point y. For example, why can't I put bandages in my normal inventory?! That's just silly.

Your system has this as well.

I'd propose several slots:

• hands: this is what you are currently holding
  • shoulder strap: place for a primary weapon
  • holster: place for a secondary pistol
  • tool belt: place for tools
  • on person: 12-16 general slots for easy access
  • backpack: 8-24 general slots for storage

So you could have a primary in your hands, and one on your shoulder. No way to switch to your pistol, though. Maybe this is overpowered - nerf capacity of the backpacks to compensate?

you even wrote this like a designer. a lot of words that no one seems to read as you find yourself re explaining things already in the stupid document. or something like that. some of your proposed ideas seem great on paper, but i think you over looked one simple thing that could fix alot of problems for a new player. a button that says open bag is always available in the inventory, without having to click on the bag, to then click on open bag again. in the inventory, there are 2 numbers, the one on the left saying how many free slots there are, and the one on the right saying how many slots are in the bag total. so if a player has an 8 slot bag, by default while empty it says 8/8. i feel it should say 0/8 by default, and when an item is put in it should jump to 1/8 and such. the idea of seperate space for medical supplies would, i think, break the over all scope of the game, which is a survivor carrying everything he can and sticking it where he can. the side arm stuff going in the right pocket of his pants, other stuff the left. tools on his fanny pack (just making a joke, a poor one).

but i am sort of discussing this. perhaps a mockup of your intention would go far to expand on what you are imagining. would also be fun to do i am sure.

you even wrote this like a designer. a lot of words that no one seems to read as you find yourself re explaining things already in the stupid document. or something like that. some of your proposed ideas seem great on paper, but i think you over looked one simple thing that could fix alot of problems for a new player. a button that says open bag is always available in the inventory, without having to click on the bag, to then click on open bag again. in the inventory, there are 2 numbers, the one on the left saying how many free slots there are, and the one on the right saying how many slots are in the bag total. so if a player has an 8 slot bag, by default while empty it says 8/8. i feel it should say 0/8 by default, and when an item is put in it should jump to 1/8 and such. the idea of seperate space for medical supplies would, i think, break the over all scope of the game, which is a survivor carrying everything he can and sticking it where he can. the side arm stuff going in the right pocket of his pants, other stuff the left. tools on his fanny pack (just making a joke, a poor one).

but i am sort of discussing this. perhaps a mockup of your intention would go far to expand on what you are imagining. would also be fun to do i am sure.

What I've written here does in no way or form include all elements of a new inventory system that would have to be implemented. I agree with you that there are several other issues with the system that needs to be adressed, but including all of that in one gigantic post is not going to help you the readers or me the writer.

I am in the process of writing a game design document for this inventory system, and it includes issues like drag-and-drop and UI elements.

• Like 1

perhaps a mockup of your intention would go far to expand on what you are imagining. would also be fun to do i am sure.

Yea i agree we need a Mock Up Please Zeal, use your 3D design skills :)

Love the idea, when i started playing DayZ I could not understand the inventory system at all, your idea would help out so many people.

Yea i agree we need a Mock Up Please Zeal, use your 3D design skills :)

I have a mock-up on my noteblock, so I'll see what I can do :)

• Like 1

Well, i do not realy like this, sounds good in the first place but

- to much splitting of items, no need for so much different types of slots only for some special items

- restricts me in how i like to go out or what i like to do in a group, need for special containers for special items that i have to change

Why not go simple with it?

- mainslots (combined slots we now have for main and secoundary weapon)

- toolbelt

- backpack

- special slot for items like binos, nightvision etc.

simple and easy to handel.

Btw. even the current system makes sence, if you have served you know your first aid is close to your sidearm, leg pockets hold this stuff, makes sence, the inventory in arma is close to were stuff would be IRL.

The downs in the system for me are not, were the items are put, only that i can loose stuff if i switch things around, but that can all be learned by try and error.

Do we need a much more complex and split up inventory system? I think no, we need one that has maybe a mouseover info here and there making learning how to handel the system a bit more easy, but not more.

Change the way it looks and were the buttons are? Well i could go with that, but i do not need it.

So thanks for sharing your idea.

please post a screenshot of it :D

More bean for you ;)

- to much splitting of items, no need for so much different types of slots only for some special items

- restricts me in how i like to go out or what i like to do in a group, need for special containers for special items that i have to change

- toolbelt

- backpack

Btw. even the current system makes sence, if you have served you know your first aid is close to your sidearm, leg pockets hold this stuff, makes sence, the inventory in arma is close to were stuff would be IRL.

The downs in the system for me are not, were the items are put, only that i can loose stuff if i switch things around, but that can all be learned by try and error.

Do we need a much more complex and split up inventory system? I think no, we need one that has maybe a mouseover info here and there making learning how to handel the system a bit more easy, but not more.

Change the way it looks and were the buttons are? Well i could go with that, but i do not need it.

I have to disagree because the inventory is too basic, and can be annoying when it doesnt tell you slots and the arrows are annoying because you dont know if your putting stuff in your pack or dropping it, Zeal carry on with developing it :)

Hello all! I love DayZ and I also love game design. I love playing the game, but I also like breaking down its components and building them up from scratch in a more robust and better way. Of course this is something Rocket and his team would like to do with a stand-alone-game in the future so I'm hoping they can draw at least some measure of inspiration from this post.

I am a 23 year old game designer, at least thats what my bachelors degree tell me. In fact I'm working as a 3D artist at the moment, but game design is a hobby I can't stop doing. I love creating systems that work, and recently I've attacked the inventory system of DayZ, trying to improve what I can. Enough about me, let's get to the point!

The issue of the current system

The current system is not very intuitive, in fact I'd go so far as calling it counter intuitive for new players. A good game system should be easy to understand and function as the player expects it to the first time they use it. DayZ's inventory system does none of these if you ask me. The player ends up spending to much time managing the inventory when urgency is the priority. Bugs and poorly designed systems make items disappear and confuses the player.

Solution to the problem

As you will se further down the post my proposition is extensive. It does not only change the current inventory system, but also lays the framework for a more teambased game. With my brand panking new inventory system players will not only feel the pros of having squadmates, but it will also give players dedicated roles without introducing common RPG elements such as stats and "points"

The inventory

The current inventory consists of a primary and secondary weapon slot, a inventory, a backpack and a tool section. Where different items are categorized is not very intuitive, it feels like they are placed where they should not be. Like bandages going in the secondary ammo slot, and primary ammo going in the inventory.

I propose a solution where each player has a maximum carrying capacity of 48 slots from the start.

The 48 slots are devided between four categories: Backpack, Medic Pouch, Ammo Belt and Toolbox. Each item the player finds go in one, and only one of these categories. A bandage goes in the medical pouch and a magazine for the primary goes in the ammo belt. Each of the categories requires a storage item, such as a 8 slot backpack or a 10 slot ammo belt. These should of course be lootable in the game.

Lets say the player starts out with a 6 slot backpack, a 4 slot medic puch, a 4+4 (will explaint his further down) slot ammo belt and a 4 slot toolbox. Thats 18 slots of the total 48 slots taken. If the player finds a new 16 slot backpack, thats 28 slots taken. So this is roughly how my new inventory system works. What I think this will do to the game is that it will give players certain roles to commit to. A medic would have s huge supply of medical items, letting the assault players carry only what little they really, really need, going all in for ammunition and explosives. The scout, or looter, has a huge backpack and is ready to run into Stary Sobor's tents to grab with him as many guns as he can, together with food and water from the supermarket. But what if they find a broken down car? Don't worry, the engineer with only one primary weapon has a huge toolbox with all sorts of car parts ready to go.

This new system would have to add a bunch of new conteiner items such as backpacks in different sized. Backpacks with 28, 32, 36 and 40 slots should be available, but the rarity would of course increase with the slot capacity.

You probably noticed the 4+4 ammo belt I mentioned earlier. The first of the numbers define the slot for which the player can store ammunition for the primary and secondary weapon. If you have a lee enfield the ammunition for this would first and foremost go into this category. If you find a granade or a magazine for a AKM it would go into the general ammo belt conteiner, defined by the last number. A ammo belt with 6+12 can then carry 6 primary and secondary ammunition, and has 12 slots for other ammo items. Its only the last number that defines the space the ammo belt takes up in the overall 48 slots.

This is a rough layout of the inventory system I propose for a standalone game such as this. I would give the incentive to join groups and take on roles. The numbers seen in the post might have to be refined for optimal balance at a later stage, though the message I want to convey should be clearly communicated. I hope you enjoyed this read, though it might be a bit long. Feel free to back my ite or give me constrictive feeback!

ZealD, out!

I understand where you are coming from, but for a few simple reasons I don't agree.

1. The system is not counter-intuitive. Intuitive implies you are used to a certain (arguably unrealistic) standards in video games of how to manage your inventory. Arma II realistically separates your backpack from your "pockets".

2. The system is actually quite intuitive, once you get used to it. Like all brilliant video games, it is a system that is easy to use initially, but takes a bit of practice to master. If new players had mastered the system before even logging into the game because we made it so "intuitive", it would take the fun out of the learning curve. My first few deaths in DayZ were because I couldn't get that item out of my backpack. Now I am a master of it.

3. Different slots also don't make sense, except for the toolbelt. It creates tension in the game. Should I take the extra ammo, or one more blood bag? Should I take three morphines, or swap one out for a can of sardines? Should I take the soda, even though I have an (empty) water bottle, or should I pick up the M107 ammo, in case I find the rifle? Should I have two bandages and 6 secondary ammo, or 3 bandages and 5 secondary ammo? These decisions lie at the core of DayZ. Your suggestion completely destroys the system, because it is almost as if you are maniacally picking up everything just to keep shoving it into your inventory to have a look at later.

4. 48 slots at the start? How about an AS50, NVGs and a cloaking device too?

• Like 4

- toolbelt

- backpack

I do appreciate your feedback, and you have some good and valid points to adress. I think we have two different takes on the current system, and I think mine would would boost DayZ tacitcal aspect. Keeping it simple is all well and good, it's important not to over complicate things that will only confuse the player. I don't believe any player would be confused by my system, since it's pretty obvious what goes where with the names "Medical pouch", "toolbox" and "ammo belt" etc. The restrictions to where you can place the items was set so that players themselves can create what role they want. This becomes especially obvious when in a team. I think it would create a lot of debth to the game without removing the freedom from the players :)

Again, thanks for your feedback! (and yes, I have served :P)

I understand where you are coming from, but for a few simple reasons I don't agree.

1. The system is not counter-intuitive. Intuitive implies you are used to a certain (arguably unrealistic) standards in video games of how to manage your inventory. Arma II realistically separates your backpack from your "pockets".

2. The system is actually quite intuitive, once you get used to it. Like all brilliant video games, it is a system that is easy to use initially, but takes a bit of practice to master. If new players had mastered the system before even logging into the game because we made it so "intuitive", it would take the fun out of the learning curve. My first few deaths in DayZ were because I couldn't get that item out of my backpack. Now I am a master of it.

3. Different slots also don't make sense, except for the toolbelt. It creates tension in the game. Should I take the extra ammo, or one more blood bag? Should I take three morphines, or swap one out for a can of sardines? Should I take the soda, even though I have an (empty) water bottle, or should I pick up the M107 ammo, in case I find the rifle? Should I have two bandages and 6 secondary ammo, or 3 bandages and 5 secondary ammo? These decisions lie at the core of DayZ. Your suggestion completely destroys the system, because it is almost as if you are maniacally picking up everything just to keep shoving it into your inventory to have a look at later.

I think you have misunderstood my concept, or I have probably not described it thuoroughly (no idea how to write this word lol) enough. The player starts out with 48 maximum slots, not 48 usable ones. You might start out iwth a 6 slot backpack, a 4 slot toolbox, 4+4 slot ammo belt and a 4 slot medic pouch. That is 18 slots of the total 48. You have to find a new backpack, medical puch, toolbox and ammo belt to gain more slots, but you cannot have a total slots more than 48. In other words, you can chose to have a 30 slot backpack, a 4 slot medic pouch, a 6+6 slot ammo belt and a 8 slot toolbox. This is where the roles, or classes come in. An engineer might have a big toolbox but chose not to have any medical pouch, and a sniper wants a lot of ammo and food / water, and another primary for close quarters, so he takes a big ammo belt and backpack.

Edited by ZealD

Agree with this.

The main inventory has magazine and grenade icons for a reason. It represents the LBV everyone is wearing, which is designed to carry magazines and grenades. It isn't counter-intuitive for the magazines to go there.

The system we have now is pretty intuitive for someone familiar with the gear levels. Rifle and mags go on vest, pistol and mags go on belt. Junk you don't need right now goes in the pack. A seperate medical pouch might make some sense, though I suppose that is represented by the bandages going on the belt as well. I'd like to see morphine optionally put on the belt.

The main inventory has magazine and grenade icons for a reason. It represents the LBV everyone is wearing, which is designed to carry magazines and grenades. It isn't counter-intuitive for the magazines to go there.

The system we have now is pretty intuitive for someone familiar with the gear levels. Rifle and mags go on vest, pistol and mags go on belt. Junk you don't need right now goes in the pack. A seperate medical pouch might make some sense, though I suppose that is represented by the bandages going on the belt as well. I'd like to see morphine optionally put on the belt.

The inventory system is probably intuitive for someone with knowledge of how military gear is actually worn in real life, but most gamers don't really think about that. I would argue that they want a system that is easy to use and easy to understand, and doesn't take time to research to comprehend it. I believe you can have a complex inventory system like I have proposed that not only changes the inventory but also adds a whole new game mechanic, and still keep it super simple and intuitive for both old and new players.

The inventory system is probably intuitive for someone with knowledge of how military gear is actually worn in real life, but most gamers don't really think about that. I would argue that they want a system that is easy to use and easy to understand, and doesn't take time to research to comprehend it. I believe you can have a complex inventory system like I have proposed that not only changes the inventory but also adds a whole new game mechanic, and still keep it super simple and intuitive for both old and new players.

I like it the way it is. In my opinion it can stay the way it is now, execpt for the bugs it has now of course. Sure it's a little hard to understand at the beginning but once you've got it right it makes total sense. Maybe give you more freedom of where to put stuff and add a 'holster' for a melee weapon but other than that I don't see a 'need' for change.

everyone is making great arguments. my personal experience in this field is that every ui system needs to be tested and worked on throughout the alpha stage. not necessarily by implementing the code, or what have you, but by figuring out what buttons and things need to go where.

this game, while not intending too, does need a more rpg style inventory system. one that is expected to be opened alot and shuffled through alot. the inventory system as it is, just is too restricting on what is visible to the player.

what i mean when i say rpg style system, is grouping equipped items on the list of items, a more responsive and understandable click and drag style, options to destroy objects rather than drop them (realism factor i know, but i also know i can destroy a flash light and gun without much effort or tools).

*why i think rpg with this game*

the player starts with nothing, lvl 0. begins finding more and more items and useful gear, and his party grows with his inventory.

everyone is making great arguments. my personal experience in this field is that every ui system needs to be tested and worked on throughout the alpha stage. not necessarily by implementing the code, or what have you, but by figuring out what buttons and things need to go where.

this game, while not intending too, does need a more rpg style inventory system. one that is expected to be opened alot and shuffled through alot. the inventory system as it is, just is too restricting on what is visible to the player.

what i mean when i say rpg style system, is grouping equipped items on the list of items, a more responsive and understandable click and drag style, options to destroy objects rather than drop them (realism factor i know, but i also know i can destroy a flash light and gun without much effort or tools).

*why i think rpg with this game*

the player starts with nothing, lvl 0. begins finding more and more items and useful gear, and his party grows with his inventory.

good suggestion

Edited by Jenga22

Imo its not really the inventory system of ARMA 2 that is unintuitive, its using the ARMA 2 inventory system for DayZ which makes it odd. Bringing in RPG elements like looting weapons, using objects out of the inventory, storing & swapping weapons in a backpack are things that the ARMA 2 inventory was never intended for.

While I find the idea interesting, having a maximum amount of item slots will not help as long as its ARMA 2 underneath with the weird ways of handling objects. The complete system of how inventory items work in the game needs to be changed, the suggestion only covers one small aspect of the problems. I'm guessing these changes can only come with a standalone version.

Please expand the suggestion into a full remake of how interacting with objects and the inventory works in DayZ, its not just the issue of available slots.

Which brings everyone onto the point that this could be a suggestion for the stand alone game in the near future

Which brings everyone onto the point that this could be a suggestion for the stand alone game in the near future

of course, but with the sheer amount of people just playing this now, and if this story is bumped to the bottom of the scrum list over and over, i fear that we will just have a prettier Arma inventory system in the final game. it would be a shame for the pace of the game to grind to a halt when players are still having to stop for 10 minutes to move items around clunkily.

Imo its not really the inventory system of ARMA 2 that is unintuitive, its using the ARMA 2 inventory system for DayZ which makes it odd. Bringing in RPG elements like looting weapons, using objects out of the inventory, storing & swapping weapons in a backpack are things that the ARMA 2 inventory was never intended for.

this i agree with. i do not have any issue with the arma inventory system while i am playing arma, and DayZ is amazing in just the fact that it is a mod that has completely changed what the original game's inventory system needed to be used for.

of course, but with the sheer amount of people just playing this now, and if this story is bumped to the bottom of the scrum list over and over, i fear that we will just have a prettier Arma inventory system in the final game. it would be a shame for the pace of the game to grind to a halt when players are still having to stop for 10 minutes to move items around clunkily.

this i agree with. i do not have any issue with the arma inventory system while i am playing arma, and DayZ is amazing in just the fact that it is a mod that has completely changed what the original game's inventory system needed to be used for.

In my "final" game design document every aspect of the inventory management, including object interaction.