Sign in to follow this  
ilious

Secondary Melee Weapons

I think it would be a great idea for you to be able to kill a player with your gun and switch to your melee so you can silently kill zombies. I mean seriously a zombie apocolypse and you have to take 5-10 min to switch weapons from your hatchet (silent zombie kills) to your gun (mainly used for pvp) its kinda rediculous but thats my opinion. So to wrap things up make melee weapons secondary and not primary thanks for reading.

• Like 5

it's just because the original Arma engine doesn't support melee weapons so they've had to improvise. It'll get sorted eventually.

• Like 1

that's an excellent point (although i appreciate the realistic time of switching weapons) i too believe that melee weapons should be placeable in secondary slots. Think about it....crowbars, hatchets, machetes, knives, etc can all be held along the belt similiar to a pistol. only a full sized axe would require you to carry it in a bigger strap/holster over the back or shoulder. And i also think more melee weapons being added would be nice, although not a huge thing. I don't mind the amount there is now, it's just an afterthought. And i totally understand the fact they have had to improvise, so i'm looking forward to future updates more than anyone :D

Edited by Godscribe
  • Like 3

Uh rah to that my Brother! My beans are belong to you.

I have a post myself expanding this theory some more.

(I am well aware that there are Melee weapon posts, but these are so besieged by comments, and lacking in information, that I have made a clear, and complete guide to possible and plausible Melee weapons.)

• Like 2

Uh rah to that my Brother! My beans are belong to you.

I have a post myself expanding this theory some more.

(I am well aware that there are Melee weapon posts, but these are so besieged by comments, and lacking in information, that I have made a clear, and complete guide to possible and plausible Melee weapons.)

Chainsaw- What Zombie game doesnt have a chainsaw? This gas operated saw takes 1 JerryCan to fuel, in exchange for 5 minutes of pure carnage. Start it up as you would a vehicle, and let loose fury. Shred Zombies and players alike. Be warned of how loud the saw is, and be careful with fuel. (5000 blood loss per strike, 100% chance of breaking targets bones) A horrible weapon that will shred any enemy in its path. Found rarely in Farms, Firestations, and lumber mills.

I was thinking this myself. Also would be a lot more efficient at gathering firewood. Maybe generating 5 or even 10 wood piles when used in the forest. The mechanism should be like the hatchet with charges that count down slowly when the chainsaw is running idle and ramp up when the saw is used. The chainsaw is not necessary the ultimate close combat weapon, as it is slow, requires two hands and connection to the target needs to be several seconds to create bone breaking damage. The chain is also prone getting stuck on bones and having a kickback effect.

And if you want a chainsaw with some local Chernarus flavor there is Druzba:

lol 3 1/2 minutes of CHAINSAWING ACTION!!!!

Sigh.

You do realize that the ''5-10 minutes" of switching is because of the Arma engine.

I think this is a horrible idea as with the hatchet you can run around silently killing zombies and not having to worry about any repercussions from gunshots. For instance you see a player running across the town square, you want to shoot him, but if you do, you know you'll have zombies on you at any second. Why take that away, makes no sense to me.

Sigh.

You do realize that the ''5-10 minutes" of switching is because of the Arma engine.

I think this is a horrible idea as with the hatchet you can run around silently killing zombies and not having to worry about any repercussions from gunshots. For instance you see a player running across the town square, you want to shoot him, but if you do, you know you'll have zombies on you at any second. Why take that away, makes no sense to me.

the point of this game is to represent the real options available to you in a fictional alternate reality. So the variable that is different in a Zombie Apocalypse/disaster is the introduction of these new brain/flesh hungry humans....Humanity hasn't magically become inable to use random objects and tools just because new creatures are introduced. For instance i expect that in real life if the woods around my home instantly became infested with rabid elephants, I should still have the abilities and knowledge of everything that happened before. That includes the use of axes, knives, screwdrivers, chainsaws, hell, even wooden sticks.

The point is, if you're going for realism...you don't take out whole facets of weaponry just to create a certain experience. Personally i would never use a gun on a zombie IRL if i didn't absolutely have to. I would use axes, knives, crowbars, swords, and clubs to bash/cut their heads open. And save the bullets for raiders that would most probably shoot back.

What I'm trying to say is that arma 2 tries to be realistic but my question is: if the zombie apocalypse was real would you keep your rifle in your backpack or on your back and use a hatchet or machete? I know I wouldn't. Like Godscribe said though, you don't need a primary weapon slot for a smaller melee weapon like a hatchet, crowbar, or a machete (which I would also like to see in the game) besides do you ever even use your pistol against people? Answer: rarely.