Powers7rok3

Silenced Sniper Rifles

Also, silencers should make bullet drop a bigger aspect.

I wish this idea would die. Silencers do *not* make bullets drop more, they do not make the bullets weaker, and they do not make a gun do less "damage", and on a sniper rifle sized cartridge they are far from "quiet". Silencers/suppressors actually cause an effect known as freebore boost which typically (on my 5.56 and 308 guns) gives me a 60-120fps *boost* over unsilenced/unsuppressed. The biggest negatives to a silencer is the extra size and weight and a quicker increase in bore temps (causing mirage, which would be an excellent thing to add to the game to help slow down the growth of the endless brigades of psychopath snipers all over the hills. lol).

As for noise level imagine a gunshot as two different distinct sounds. The first is the "pop" or uncorking of the bullet when its first fired. This is extremely loud in an unsuppressed gun. Somewhere in the 160-170 dB range is normal for a high powered rifle. With a high-end suppressor you can get that down to just below 140 dB. Now that still "seems" loud if you just look at the raw number, but the duration of the noise is *extremely* short so its actually not very loud at all. If your in an open field (where the sound won't reflect) its quieter then most paintball guns. The second part of the noise is the bullets flight and this is extremely quiet if the bullet is slower then the speed of sound (roughly 1050fps). Most sniper rifles are not going to use subsonic ammo, its far to weak and short range, so they will use full power rifle ammo (thus no damage "reduction" or range reduction). A 308 bullet moving at 2800-3000fps is pretty loud when it goes by (the game models this pretty well with the "crack" noise you hear as bullets wiz by). The thing about the "crack" or bullet flight noise is its non-directional and comes from the bullet, not the shooter, so if the target is more then 100 yards away it becomes virtually impossible to locate the shooter from the noise of the shot. The flight noise masks any small amount of noise the muzzle makes and the flight noise happens *behind* you (since the bullet is moving faster then the speed of sound you hear it after its passed, thus it sounds like its behind you).

Anyway, there is everyones silencer/suppressor science lesson for the day. Next week I'll give a tutorial on how to legally buy one in the United States if your over 21 and can legally buy a firearm (and your lucky enough to live in one of the 38-40 or so states that allows them). :)

I kind of agree.

My idea is that gun's need attachments.

As in, you can find laser sights, silencers, scopes (acog, red-dot, zoom optics, etc), muzzles (anti-flash?), and maybe a few other things that I can't think of.

The attachments must work on specific weapons/weapon types.

This way every gun can be silenced, scoped, or nothing if preferred. Adding a slight weapon customization aspect to the game. I truly enjoy the thrill of finding a gun; so why not enjoy the thrill of making it bad ass, according to my tastes and terms?

I understand this would take a bit of modeling and coding, but it's just an idea.

Also, (I've seen this in other places over the forum), but I wouldn't mind seeing a weapon degradation system being implemented. This way not only do you find a gun, customize it, but also take care of it like it's your own baby. Forcing you to take some time to clean the gun and work on it as you must in real life.

Also, silencers should make bullet drop a bigger aspect.

I suggested about red dot sights being able to be attached and removed, but this is probabily impossible to happen in ARMA 2, so i think we will need to wait for arma 3 :/

Short answer...hell no!

Long answer: If this were the case, then the only balanced sniper would be a suppressed Mk. 12 SPR, limiting it to basically the same damage as the M16. Any higher damage and it becomes too easy for those doing the sniping IMO

The Brits did make some silenced .45acp Enfields. I doubt they made more than a few hundred (if even that many), but it could be a nice gun to implement.

Very accurate, very short ranged with quite a bit of bullet drop and relatively low firing speed.

I don't think theres any ingame reason to include them. You dictate when it's necessary to fire a shot, if you spot zombies or anything hostile coming up on your squad you can alert them. One of them can proceed open fire with a silenced sub machine gun. Adding a silenced sniper rifle to the mod would remove the need for caution. Suddenly location, cover and timing are all thrown out the window so long as you've farmed yourself a silenced weapon.