jesquik

Give me 'dem teeth

+1 for lootable teeth for zombie kills.

My only qualm is that ammo should be more scarce and then become the currency system.

I shoot you with a Lee Enfield. 1 round trade, I get everything you have. Great currency system, I just ruined it for you.

Even if you limit all the ammo in the game, this ability makes bullets not a currency. Sure, you can trade them, but most people would rather kill you and take what you have if it is so rare.

EDIT: Also, pulling teeth is strange, but I could see it as a coming up for something to show your stats. Those snipers at Electro and Cherno ganking fresh spawns for their kill counter wouldn't be able to show their kills as they would never go down to collect the proof of the kill.

Infact, due to this, you couldn't confirm a kill unless you have something to prove it to others if the debug menu was gone. Screenshot, witness or teeth. Funny thing to ask for but I wonder how it would work.

Edited by Zeromentor

I shoot you with a Lee Enfield. 1 round trade, I get everything you have. Great currency system, I just ruined it for you.

Even if you limit all the ammo in the game, this ability makes bullets not a currency. Sure, you can trade them, but most people would rather kill you and take what you have if it is so rare.

EDIT: Also, pulling teeth is strange, but I could see it as a coming up for something to show your stats. Those snipers at Electro and Cherno ganking fresh spawns for their kill counter wouldn't be able to show their kills as they would never go down to collect the proof of the kill.

Infact, due to this, you couldn't confirm a kill unless you have something to prove it to others if the debug menu was gone. Screenshot, witness or teeth. Funny thing to ask for but I wonder how it would work.

You say you'd shoot one round and get all my equipment but the thing you don't realise, I want ammo to be so rare that if you have a Lee Enfield with a full clip, you'd be one of the most equipped players in the game... Anyhow, that's what would make the currency system good as well as dangerous. Death should be hard hitting so if you have a shit tonne of ammo (which I personally think you shouldn't have unless you have a large group or about 10 days surviving...) then losing it would actually matter rather than new spawning, running into a town and getting everything they need to survive in under an hour.

Edited by FishIsTwonk

While this is quite an unique idea, and that's always good, I don't see what this would add to the game. Firstly it's useless as a kill-counter for reasons already explained.

It's completely flawed as a currency too: the big problem with currencies based on items that can be found in the world (teeth, bullets, caps, etc.) is this completely undermines the value of the currency. (I underline that because others have made similar suggestions that just don't work). A currency needs to have a controlled supply, so it would have to be a player-created item or an item that has a limited quantity in the world.

Edited by Ollox

Nice, I like the way you thought about that. It does provide a disincentive towards killing people from far away for no reason. If you don't get the teeth, nobody is going to believe you're a badass!

While this is quite an unique idea, and that's always good, I don't see what this would add to the game. Firstly it's useless as a kill-counter for reasons already explained.

It's completely flawed as a currency too: the big problem with currencies based on items that can be found in the world (teeth, bullets, caps, etc.) is this completely undermines the value of the currency. (I underline that because others have made similar suggestions that just don't work). A currency needs to have a controlled supply, so it would have to be a player-created item or an item that has a limited quantity in the world.

Please fully read what I wrote. It's not just a currency. It's not just a kills counter. It's something you can do in a sandbox that may have unknown results.

Also, I apologize for not consulting my economics textbook, but I am fairly certain that there would be no problem with teeth being a currency. There would be a controlled way of acquiring them (killing zombies) and way to lose them (dying alone or someone takes them from you). If anything the constant acquisition of teeth from people would lead to high inflation if there was no 'sink' for the teeth.

Then again.. this isn't just about a currency.

Edit: Also, they cannot be 'found' in game, they aren't random spawns. You have to actively do something to get them. It's a resource that you can collect.

Edited by jesquik

You say you'd shoot one round and get all my equipment but the thing you don't realise, I want ammo to be so rare that if you have a Lee Enfield with a full clip, you'd be one of the most equipped players in the game... Anyhow, that's what would make the currency system good as well as dangerous. Death should be hard hitting so if you have a shit tonne of ammo (which I personally think you shouldn't have unless you have a large group or about 10 days surviving...) then losing it would actually matter rather than new spawning, running into a town and getting everything they need to survive in under an hour.

I don't agree with the majority of this, but I do think that low caliber inaccurate weapons should be the things most people have. AKs and M4s are just not going to be dropping from the heavens. I honestly would love to see a 'condition' modifier in the game so that you could get a really nice AK or a nearly broken one. Sure the nearly broken AK works, but you only use that thing in an emergency.

I'm more in line with teeth being a status symbol, and adding an extra layer of depth to looting other players, but when it comes to teeth as an economy item I worry that it would create a reason to farm zombies. A real risk that DayZ has not had to face yet is an invasion of (for profit) loot farmers. An economy mechanic would best serve the game if it is designed in such a way as to discourage professional loot farming for monetary gain. i.e. limit avenues for monetary gain through sales of in game items.

Yesterday as I was racking up zombie kills, I realized that the debug window will someday disappear and with it the zombie kill count. This makes me sad, as killing zombies is a favorite pastime and losing track of the amount I have killed is devastating. So while thinking about this I decided that we need to be able to collect something from zombies and the first thing that came to mind was teeth, which got me thinking that teeth should be a lootable token from each zombie kill. If we can loot teeth from zombies, and keep them, when we die or someone kills us there will be a record of how many zombies you killed. But even better would be if people could loot them off your body and people start collecting large amounts of teeth, allowing them to become a commodity.

While there is currently no trading in the game, teeth could become a currency, allowing people to 'mine' the world for teeth and trade them for loot with other players if there ever came a day when trading was provided in game. Additionally, groups like the Freeside Trading company would have a way for people to purchase goods from them, or sell goods to them.

So how do we 'mine' teeth then? With pliers of course! If you have the pliers item, you can creep over to the corpses of slain zombies and extract a tooth, creating additional risk to get this item. Once a tooth is extracted it goes to your tool belt, so it doesn't take up real inventory space.

Hold on there, this may be all well and good, but what about the bandits! Well they should be able to extract human teeth too, one per person. When you kill a bandit you will know because they have human teeth on them. Perhaps they wear the human teeth on a necklace around their neck to proudly show off their trophies. Maybe they hide them deep in their tool belt to avoid suspicion. Either way, they have verifiable proof of a murder. Maybe in order to prove your mettle to a bandit gang you need to get them 5 human teeth or perhaps they want 100 zombie teeth.

Core Idea:

1) Teeth should be lootable from players and zombies.

2) Pliers should be added (or perhaps just require the toolbox) to facilitate the removal.

3) Teeth become a commodity that may be used to trade or for role playing.

Bump :thumbsup: