Nekan

People are horrible.

Similare thing with me, A guy just saved me from another player who was hunting me down, and I killed the person who saved me as he told me he had a lot of food and drink in his pack with a lot of mags, So I killed him and took it all.

I diddn't do this to be a "dick" or "for the fun of it" I needed some gear as I all had left was my Makarov with a single mag, and this player was blatantly boasting about his equipment and I needed it to survive. Moral of the story is to not boast about what you have, I diddn't know he had a lot of food and such, All I saw was a Pistol and an alice pack and I was going to leave him be after he saved me.

I will note that I do help players but I don't stick around, I once healed a player with a blood transfusion and then said "Lookout another player is aiming at us" He then ran upstairs of the building and I ran off safely, If you want to help players, help them but get the hell out of there ASAP once your done.

Because this is a Survival Simulator

If this were the case then the outfits should be able to be looted off of bodies as well, which they're not. I wasn't suggesting you wouldn't be able to get anything off of your "victim", only that not everything on the body be up for grabs. Hell, make it random, just like the spawn locations (between what they're carrying of course).

So third day of playing, czech backpack, Enfield, 2 binoculars, 2 watches, matches, raw meat, wood, canteen, hunting knife, soda, beans, ammo. Alls going well, checking out a barn nothing in there apart from a hatchet, guy comes running in, bleeding like mad, doesn't see me, I walk up to him to salute and help him, he picks up the hatchet and kills me....fucker.

Now, I'm pissed, and feel like fuck it, its a game should I dick on some one and steal their stuff? What do you think?

So third day of playing, czech backpack, Enfield, 2 binoculars, 2 watches, matches, raw meat, wood, canteen, hunting knife, soda, beans, ammo. Alls going well, checking out a barn nothing in there apart from a hatchet, guy comes running in, bleeding like mad, doesn't see me, I walk up to him to salute and help him, he picks up the hatchet and kills me....fucker.

Now, I'm pissed, and feel like fuck it, its a game should I dick on some one and steal their stuff? What do you think?

Why would you be carrying 2 watches and 2 binos??

Trade items? had the space.

Not a bad idea mind you, I like the idea of trading stuff.... only 99% of the time you're just going to get a face full of lead. :(

Even fresh noobs have bandages, pain pills and other supplies that even veterans need.

So, you can risk all your gear on a raid where someone equally geared could be lying in wait.

Or when you need a bandage, you can sit at one of the popular spawn spots and put a couple secondary rounds into a noob for one.

I've only played maybe 2 hours, and only died once- the guy who told me about the game shot me not knowing it was me- so I'm no where near an expert, but it seems like murdering a noob coming out of electro or a market or a hosipital is a whole lot safer than actually going in.

I have found a lot more loot off people who fell off things or got sniped or eaten than I have from spawns.

People are wandering loot bags. And it only makes sense to take the shot at some good loot if you have the advantage. It's just up to this point all I've found is a couple hatchets and a 2rnd with only 4 shells. Which doesn't make you feel too luck against the guy with the semi-auto.

Not a bad idea mind you, I like the idea of trading stuff.... only 99% of the time you're just going to get a face full of lead. :(

I found this know, rather it was a hatchet to the neck. :lol:

I'm very on the fence about this.

While I, personally, want to encourage player interaction, I find the game in it's current state very difficult to do that. I see a lot of people saying "the only reason people dont kill each other now is because of laws, society, etc."

This is false. It's not human nature to want to murder people with no cause. To defend yourself? Sure. But in most situations people would sooner threaten than kill. It's part of the moral consciousness of being a human that puts us apart from animals.

I acknowledge that yes, this is a game and there is no real 'punishment' or reason to not kill somebody, and I've only been playing for the last 2 weeks but this game went from 400,000~ players to close to 700,000 now and in the last 2 weeks of my limited experience - I have seen the community collapse as a whole.

2 Weeks ago, me and a survivor spawned close to each other by Komarovo. We stuck together until we both found an axe each and even then, progressed east to Cherno where we got seperated, but there was a comradery to our temporary alliance.

I have many other fond "memories" from hanging around a hospital making friends, to helping each other in supermarkets (sharing food) from 2 weeks ago vs today.

On monday this week I started fresh after getting killed and found a guy who had an axe who was fighting off zombies. After he killed them I ran up and saw he was bleeding so i offered to bandage him up and he accepted (think he was going a bit gung ho on the zombie killing if he used his bandage up). I told him I'm unarmed so can I follow him around and help aggro zombies / kite while he kills them, he had to have been at about half life with the amount of Zed corpses around him. He agreed and seemed pretty enthused by the offer. When we went into a building I mentioned "Hey ! I think I found a handgun" and started to walk over to it, as I knelt to pick it up, i got axed to the back of the head by the guy I was "working with" :/ If he would have simply said "Put the gun down... " or "hey can I have the gun and give you my axe?" I wouldnt have had an issue with that at all. Nope, just out right murdered for no reason after playing with each other for the last 30 min.

Last night I started new after killing myself when I broke my leg and couldnt find any morphine. I started in Elektro so I crawled around, and saw a few zombie corpses, so I called out on voice "Anybody here? I'm a friendly, new player, no weapons - I have bandages/painkillers if you need them..." No reply, I crept into the building and began inspecting zombie corpses taking a can of beans here, can of soda there... until I got axed in the back. Guy didn't say a damn thing, just killed me *sigh*

Maybe it's the popularity the game has been getting, which I think is a good thing, but it's getting a bit out of hand and the average players mindset has shifted from "work together... but be caustious" to "TRUST NOBODY! Kill on sight"

I play on european servers at night (cause I hate night time alone lol) and I find this problem isn't so prominent on euro servers as they are on CAD/USA servers. I find this game has attracted a lot of the immature CoD players.

Edited by Cryage
  • Like 1

Just did some quick math, currently the "murder rate" is about 14%. That seems "ihigh" in comparion to our current rates of like 36 per 100,000 in the worst countries. But in such a situation as this, I find 14% to be low. Considering it's PVP. It's the internet. And there is no system of law or order. Previous PVP RPG's I have played were higher than that.

Most scholars agree that 2% of our population are "psychopaths" and capable of wanton murder. 2% they qualify as "sheep dogs" or "protectors" who can also kill without remorse, but do so to serve their fellow man. The rest? Not capable of killing. High rates of PTSD amoung them. Will actually die before they kill. What allows those 94% to kill in war? A group. The group allows you to share the burden of killing. The two man sniper crew, machine crew of 3, tank crew of 4. Bomber crews. Artillery and mortar crews. The squad. All allow in some shape or fashion the ability to share the emotional burden of killing. Very few animals other than primates actually "kill" Most fight until an understanding is reached...like mountain goats. Humans can kill other humans and few can even do so without any remorse...and that is in a society of laws.

To really understand humanity...we must look at it outside of rule of law. Look at third world countries. Look at the Sudan. Rhoanda. Somalia. Some parts of Europe in decades past. What we see is not the "murderer" going around sniping...but the mob. It is the mob that is truly dangerous and the mob that will be in the aftermath of such a scenario as DayZ. The mob will grow, feed on it's surroundings and eventually burn itself out or split up.

Why do I say this? Becuase the mob allows people to transcend their issues with killing. It's Lord of the Flies. One charasmatic leader and his closest friends pick off the weak and alone. Soon the mob grows as word spreads. People are left with few options...join and live, fight and die or run and perhaps live a littel longer. The mob will rule the battle space. They will consume the supplies of an area. They will feed off the earth, the people, the resources. They will have a simblance of order, but when the dust settles only power and violence will control the mob. So the mob will have a new succession of leadership and it will grow until if feeds on itself and dies or breaks up into smaller mobs.

The answer in a WROL scenario, such as DayZ, is to form a community that can fight off the mob, or atleast make the mob think twice. Impossible alone. Possible with a group. On a side note, that's why the "collectivist" always come to power...the only way to fight that mob is to create my own mob. The mob doesn't recognize the "Natural Rights of Man". Hard to make it as an individual. Even harder as a member of a group where each individual has an equal voice and right to his property. The mob is not a democracy and it sure as hell isn't a republic. It's a monarchy...the big guy makes the rules...the only trick is who is the big guy today.

Why does any of that matter? Becuase we spend a lot of time arguing over game rules and mechanics and comparing them to our fantasy of what life in a similar environment will be. It's BS. If DayZ was real...90% of you would be dead by the end of the month...most because you rely to much on your governments, some to violence. The rest would be alive for the time being because they shot first, asked questioned later. Or ran far and fast. Or hooked up with a group (mob) that was able to impart its will upon the battle space.

There are people in the real world that prepare for these eventuallities. They stock pile guns, ammo, food, water, supplies, shelters, multiple cache's, multiple locations, communications equipment...etc..etc..ad naseum. And in the end...they may fail, but they stand a better chance, because they already have their groups. They already have their supplies. Their skills. Their procedues. They have practiced clearing rooms and buildings. Overwatch. Patrolling. Hiding. Sneaking. All the tools of the trade of survival.

In a real scenario like this...if you don't have your own group...you will either hide and sneek, killing when you have no choice, shooting first and asking questions later when comfronted or you will die. And you want get a respawn.

In the end...I am actually impressed...14% is much better than I expected.

Edited by Demon20
  • Like 1

I've only been playing for the last 2 weeks but this game went from 400,000~ players to close to 700,000 now and in the last 2 weeks of my limited experience - I have seen the community collapse as a whole

I've been in Chernarus since 30000 players, and I believe you are full of shit son

This is false. It's not human nature to want to murder people with no cause.

People who just stay on a hill and snipe noobs are very rare. I only got sniped once in a military camp.

In other cases, there is a cause to kill players. You need food and gear, you kill players to get it. That's the cause: survival.

I have seen the community collapse as a whole.

In the last 2 weeks I got a small team going and we never get shot at by single players because they're afraid to die. We get attacked by small group of players, and these fights are the most fun I ever had in a video game.

If you think the community is collapsing, build your own. Start a thread asking for players to join you, go on the official Teamspeak, you will find teammates.

Edited by Kiro

Seriously? I get the fact that PvP might be too harsh, but that does seem like a zombie invasion end-of-the-world type thing. Sounds horrible anyway. I would like more people teaming up with me and helping out, since its more realistic....but its not like you can change people's mind. Its their game too, and -you- must respect that. I'm with you though, I wish it was more people realistic, but, my loss, I guess.....

Well, I don't know, I wish people would be more friendly, but at the moment you can't trust anybody but your friends. Last time I helped someone, guy tried to kill me with his axe. I didn't died, but this was the last time when I asked if someone is "friendly". My one and only rule: Armed? Shoot!

Got some binoculars and turned on 'Peeping Tom' mode, climbing up onto a destroyed castle and looking over a town. I saw a guy running away from several zombies, it didn't look like he had a weapon to fight them off with. Another survivor ran up and shot the zombies down one by one, until they were all dead, and then started to check the bodies. The guy that had just been saved pulled out an axe behind the savior's back and hacked away at him, took his gun, and ran off.

I couldn't even believe it when I saw it. Who honestly does that? I know you want a gun and all, but killing the guy that just saved your life? I don't care how mentally messed up you are even in the situation of a zombie apocalypse, your mind would be able to register that someone just -saved- you.

Far too much senseless PvP, if this is to be considered a simulator and not Battlefield with zombies then stop just killing other players for the fun of it and -survive-. You got bored? Then stay up north and fight other players that stand a chance, pretend that they're other military soldiers that are out for your heart, don't come back south with a high power sniper rifle and all the military equipment you can handle to shoot players that are going to Elektro for the first time(Civilians).

Maybe I'm in disbelief because I play the role of medic. Earlier today I saw a guy with broken legs, crawling around inside a building looking for help. After establishing I was friendly(He had a gun, I was still scared), I put my back to him and offered my morphine from an earlier hospital raid. He only took one of them and healed himself, thanked me, and walked off. I can only hope that he remembers that the next time he's thinking about shooting someone that's just innocently trying to get by.

So far the best way for me to earn the trust of a -decent- human being is to just turn my back to them/look at a complete 90 degree angle away, and start talking over the mic. I believe that it's a lot harder for someone to decide to shoot a person in the back -while- hearing their voice then it is to blow a silent player away that's pointing a gun at them. And it honestly works. If I run up to someone with a weapon out, I get blown away instantly. If I make contact and turn away while communicating, the amount of PvP deaths decreases significantly.

The moral of this QQ story? Stop shooting friendly players in the face for no reason. You don't have to trust every player you see, in fact, I discourage that. In a real apocalypse I would be extremely cautious, but I wouldn't mindlessly kill everyone like a maniac. Keep your eyes on them, and attack only when you feel threatened/are attacked.

That's one of the things that ruins the game and the experience.

Game is perfectly fine, but humans are broken. Just hope god send us a hotfix to that, otherwise it's impossible to trust people on a game where you can virtually do ANYTHING.

No punishments for jerks and no incentive to cooperation leads to situations like this one.

I hope when the game is fully released we can have some changes regarding this matter, otherwise it will be like you said a Battlefield 3 with zombies.

There's a huge difference between killing to survive - desperately needing food/water, weapons etc, and killing 'for teh lulz'.

It's a shame that they can't make the game age-verified only. I know people could get around it but many wouldn't.

>18 = less pvp and less annoying turds on direct chat too.

Honestly, i don't think you're entirely wrong. Kids and their lack of maturity are frequently responsible for acts like that, but i don't want to generalize, since there are a lot of immature adults out there acting the same way.

Edited by Fenrig

Honestly, i don't think you're entirely wrong. Kids and their lack of maturity are frequently responsible for acts like that, but i don't want to generalize, since there are a lot of immature adults out there acting the same way.

Totally agree, there are immature people everywhere.

I just cringe when I see people commenting on their character and the first brag they have is how many murders they've got. Not how long they survived, what awesome gear, vehicles etc. Just "I SHOT 19 NOOBS WIF MAH DMR. U MAD?"

Yeah dude honestly, in the next 4 years you will grow up a lot. From what I've noticed I matured more during the age 17 to 20 than I did from 12 to 16 (not in body but mind). You're correct by saying we act like idiots sometimes, and honestly it is usually in games, but keep in mind you should be changing a lot in the coming years. Unless you fight it. Then you end up a complete loser for the rest of your life lol. Even I know that I still have a lot to learn though.

I act mature when being mature is needed and I'm 16. Don't know why it took you so long. It's simple; being mature simply controlling your actions and thinking. I've seen people in their early 20's act like total assholes lol.

Edited by Rick Johnson

I act mature when being mature is needed and that's why I'm about to brag about how mature I am whilst deprecating someone else's adolescence

u dun goofed

Edited by Sandy

the problem is that nobody plays the game like reality because they know that no matter what, if they die they can respawn again without consequence. In real life, people don't go around killing or stealing from other people only because they know that society will hold them responsible. If people treated others lives as being disposable like players do in this game, you wouldn't even be able to sleep at night out of fear of ambush. Because you only get one try in real life, and then you're gone. If death had a real consequence people would be way less inclined to shoot first and ask questions later, right now people don't even need to think "is it worth it". You aren't going to contribute towards creating a hostile kill on sight environment, if the direct consequence of that is you are likely to be killed yourself (and you cant magically come back to life)

bandits could suffer consequences, like penalties on their next spawn, maybe disadvantages like random injuries, lower max blood points, lock inventory slots, or prevent them from using larger backpacks. Even something like a cooldown before they can spawn a new character. e.g. have to wait 2hrs before you can respawn. The worse your humanity rating the greater severity punishment/disadvantages you receive. It's debatable how much punishment should be dealt, but I don't see how the game can work without some kind of humanity rating.

maybe there could be longer respawn timers or some other way to bring consequence to death in general, because even losing all your gear isn't that big of a deal.

why should banditry be penalized? i'm not a bandit, but i think it's a good thing for the game. if you introduce some sort of mechanic into the game that punishes bandits and forces people to always cooperate, it will take a lot of the suspense out of encounters with other players.

if you want to reduce bandit activity, do it by encouraging cooperation, not by punishing banditry.

two ideas i can think of off the top of my head

1. remove all large backpacks like the czech, alice and coyote backpacks. reduce the number of primary inventory slots from 12 to 8 and make players spawn with the 6 slot vest pouch and leave the 12 slot assault pack as the largest bag. doing this would provide two benefits to cooperation that go hand in hand: first, players will be less self sufficient due to the stricter item limit, so they will have to rely on cooperation more to survive. second, bandits who relied on gettong their loot by killing other players will be less inclined to do so because they will have less bag space to take on loot, and the victims will have less bag space, which means it is much less likely that they will be carrying the items that a bandit would be looking for

2. FIX THE AMMO GLITCHES. if i can refill my mags for all my guns by disconnecting and then logging back in, i can fire my weapons all day and never have to worry about finding more mags. once ammo is more precious, people won't be so cavalier about using it and killing other players for sport just won't happen as often when you can save ammo by letting other people live.

obviously this won't eliminate banditry entirely because there will alwaysbe people who just want to kill for fun and where there's a will, there's a way. however, it would definitely go a long way toward making the player environment a little more cooperative

i just thought of a third idea as i was typing the other two: make high-end sniper rifles like the m107 and the as50 require 2 people to transport (make it break down into 2 10-slot parts, which, when combined with suggestion #1 would mean 2 people are needed to move the gun) then when they want to fire, one person could give his part to the other like a blood transfusion. the player holding the assembled gun would be unable to crouch or stand, almost as if they had a broken leg. i make this suggestion because, let's face it, no one uses sniper rifles to fight off zombies.

Edited by Blakorr

if I couldn't carry enough stuff to keep my mk 48 in bullets I would be more, not less, likely to to shoot people: because people need things that I need, so they're more likely to have those things than a random barn - further, killing a lonely sob for his beans will take less of my precious ammo than aggroing a half a dozen zeds

There is no excuse for this sort of behavior, but unfortunately it seems to be the norm. You sink hours into somthing and know that people can't be trusted, so even honest players think things like "If i don't snipe him, will I regret it later?"

This. One of my clanmates was talking about this with me earlier - he had someone come up to him with a broken limb and bleeding out. No weapon visible, asked for some help. Clanmate put away his weapon to help, and the wounded guy pulls a Makarov and pops my clanmate.

It's situations like that where even those of us considering ourselves to be 'honest' players have to cross boundaries. But, then - I imagine there would be quite a few cases of boundary-crossing in a real life similar scenario, too.

Perhaps if there was a way to SHOW from afar you were coming in peace? Similar to it's generally accepted to allow medics to collect the dead without being shot in wartime - perhaps one could activate a 'peaceful' state that would restrict them from use of weapons and place an icon over their head. Disabling this state would be similar to an item - e.g. have a cast time. During which, the icon would blink red to warn nearby players he/she was about to be 'hostile'. The peaceful players, while in that state, could either be immune to player-caused damage - or could take a risk and hope that others would accept peace (as it would be in RL - you may come in peace, but other people may kill you anyways [since we're going for realism here]).

Just an idea :P

Perhaps if there was a way to SHOW from afar you were coming in peace? Similar to it's generally accepted to allow medics to collect the dead without being shot in wartime - perhaps one could activate a 'peaceful' state that would restrict them from use of weapons and place an icon over their head. Disabling this state would be similar to an item - e.g. have a cast time. During which, the icon would blink red to warn nearby players he/she was about to be 'hostile'. The peaceful players, while in that state, could either be immune to player-caused damage - or could take a risk and hope that others would accept peace (as it would be in RL - you may come in peace, but other people may kill you anyways [since we're going for realism here]).

Just an idea :P

no.