Sign in to follow this  
Nitewing03

A huge thank you to whoever you were

So I had just spawned in a new character (voluntarily I might add to meet my friend). I realized pretty quickly that I was right outside of Cherno and was elated. This meant that all I had to do was hit up the fire station, hospital, pub and then corner store and I'd be on my way to meeting up with my friend with a bunch of goodies for us both.

So initially, I decided to take it pretty quietly, ducking around corners, leaning out to spot check my next bounding point, everything that one should do when surrounded by possible z and player hostiles. After a while, I heard some gunshots off to the east and saw the zed take off in that direction, it opened up a great hole for me to sprint to my first objective, the firehouse.

Inside I found two weapons, an AKM and an AKS-COBRA, I decided on the AKM (there were more mags), and left the AKS-COBRA with the thought that if I find an alice pack, I'd come back and grab it for my buddy.

I left the firestation still hearing gunfire and assumed it was keeping the zed busy. So I shot out of the firehouse like a bolt and sprinted for the corner store (grocery). Inside there was a mak, two tents, and an alice pack!

It was on my way back to the firestation (I'd actually swung out and hit the church and even a pub before swinging back to give the loot time to respawn), that I ran in to a zed. He was just standing in the middle of the street, so I popped him with my Mak, a bad decision.

I did the typical wait and didn't hear or see anything coming at me so I started to take off again, then I heard it, a horde. I looked over my shoulder to see at least ten zed, all but two were runners, so who knew how many more were behind them.

I made for the apartments, thinking I could lose them there, or at least delay them enough to shoot out the windows of the hospital (I was an idiot not to take cans to throw). Just as I was getting to the apartments, I stopped to fire off two rounds from my mak at the windows. Right when I was about to run, one zombie (apparenlty the only one left), tore into me and knocked me out. I laid there, bleeding and unconcious. With a simple glance I could tell that my blood was going to run out well before the hourglass.

Just as I had given up hope and was telling my friend I'd probably be a litte late (dramatic in it's own way), I heard a snap and the zombie slumped onto my body. In my mind, I knew there would be another and I would go down, a bandit claiming my loot. Or that it was my friend, and in the fashion we're known for, he would have retreated after the shot, as to remove the risk of both of us dying.

No other shot rang out. I regained conciousness and shot the windows of the hospital out. I had used my only bandage before and was working my way towards dead every second due to bleeding. I got into the hospital and managed to loot a bandage, some morphine and a blood bag for when I found my friend (assuming I survived this). I went to work bandaging myself and giving myself some morphine. I attempted a bit of triage and started to plan my exfil.

I sprinted north, to the tree line but managed to pick up three more zed on the way. I saw a player crouched with an MP5 and knew it was my buddy (that's what he'd had last we played). He turned and took out the three zed with expert shots, grabbed the blood bag out of my pack and I was back to full.

As we began making our way north, I thanked my friend for killing the zombie that almost ended me in Cherno. To which he replied, "I"ve been up here for about ten minutes, I never even saw the hospital."

I stopped dead in my tracks and looked back to Cherno. We'd heard a hail of gunfire happening and the "<name> has been killed" messages were scrolling fast. I had a quiet moment of contemplation and hoped, actually hoped, not the kind of hope of "man I hope that chopper is there" kind of hope, but the "I hope something truly significant of real life import happened" kind of hope, that my savior was okay.

I asked my friend if we should head back to see if we couldn't help in some way. He made me then realize that there was no way to tell who had helped me, and even then, if he or she was in a firefight of that magnitude, either they were already gone, or didn't need our help.

So we went North and I will always have the memory of the person who saved me. It's a game, sure, but that split second of brilliant humanity is what makes this game worth playing, despite the outright inhuman action of some.

So to whoever you are, if you're reading this, thank you.

TL:DR - Was dying, someone saved me, hope they lived.

• Like 1

What server were you on? I shot at around 7 zeds crowding around someone on the floor, I assumed they were just crawling so It may have been you.

I had an M24 If you recognize the sound of it.

It was a US, not sure of the number (we pick at random) maybe 838. It didn't sound like an M24, more like a Lee.

I was on US 88, was it that? And I'm pretty good with a lee, but didn't use it due to Unreliability sometimes.

Nah, I know for a fact that it was three digits. We typically go for those to eliminate confusion when linking up.

But, if you do help people, good on you, man. It's how I hope to play every time I log on.

Edited by Nitewing03