Sign in to follow this  
WraithTR1

Starting out.

I logged in for the first time last night and started a little west of Chernogorsk. Almost immediately I was spotted by a zombie I took off running ran through a gate, around a house, dropped to the ground, and lost the zombie. Unfortunately I could not enter this house and the only way out was through the gate I had entered through with 4 or 5 zombies shuffling around on the street in front of it. So after waiting a while and seeing no decrease in zombie activity in the area I said screw it and took out running and ended up on the pier south of the city. I looted some flares and other little items and then got spotted by some more zombies. I managed to evade them and crawled away. I then logged out of the game. Later I logged back into the game and I started right back on the beach where I had started in the first place with nothing I had managed to grab. I figure this was because of the servers I had chosen. What is the best way to chose a server? I was looking for ones with a low ping rate and low to medium player population. Is there something else I should look for also and is there anyway to go to the last server played on?

Kinda depends on what you're looking for. For me personally the Vilayer servers have always worked well, so I usually filter by that (if I'm not on my own server xP). Just try to pick a server that's sticking to the name conventions as those are more likely to be "legit".

Also the zombie count is that how many are in a specific area or the total on the server? Last night while playing the debug monitor said there were 150-200 zombies. I could generally spot 10-15 zombies wandering around in the little area I was in making it hard to maneuver around without being spotted. With the overall map the size it is it would seem they would be a little more spread out.

If you were asked to choose a character gender again, you either were in a no cd key server, or you joined on your second time round. Play on any of the low ping, very straight forward looking servers. If they are whitelisted servers, I believe they will have the @hive located in the adding section when you select a server.

And if you need any help on getting started, come join us at US 828, we'll be glad to help you out ;) PM me for Skype/steam details and what not.

Was trying to get on the server to check it out, but had issues with my install. Since Steam is having it's summer sale having very slow download times so hopefully be able to log on tomorrow.

Was trying to get on the server to check it out, but had issues with my install. Since Steam is having it's summer sale having very slow download times so hopefully be able to log on tomorrow.

Ok. If you have any problems, PM me. I've dealt with a mass of problems in my time with DayZ. I know my way pretty much around them all :P

Well had good and bad this morning. Stayed up way to late last night trying to get things ironed out. Kept getting messages saying waiting for host, finally clicked on a server got the same message at this point I said screw it, left it running there, and went to sleep. When I woke up went and looked at computer same message on the screen. Alt-Tabbed out of the game and started US 828, everything loaded right up and actually had the items I had found in my first season. Figured I'd do a quick peek around for 5 minutes before work and didn't put my headphones on. Went to sneak into a shed and a zombie that was standing behind the door reached through it and smacked me hard. I turned and ran back to the pier I'd been hiding on, missed the walk way and fell into the water. So now I'm floating there bleeding to death. Lesson learned never play with no sound and when you are in a hurry. Lol!

Shit happens, its not probably about the server you had picked, you will usually loose all your progress randomly (I lost mine yesterday)

I would advise you play on a veteran server opposed to a regular server and here is the reason why.

On a regular server, you have a name tag just like any other player in the server has a name tag in the game.

What does this mean? Well, it basically means that if you or anyone is entering a town or what not, they can simply scan their mouse over the area to see if any name tags pop up thus knowing there are players there and possibly exactly where they are making it easier to hunt them down if they want to. They can do this without actually even visually spotting you, so it's an unfair advantage in my opinion.

On veteran servers, this tactic is not possible.

Also it's just really nice to not have a crosshair so that if you want to accurate shoot someone, you have to aim down your ironsights instead of just spraying at the hip.

As to your other question, there is no way to remember what server you last played on other than remembering it yourself manually by memory or writing it down.

You can however filter the servers to find a specific one so if you write it down you can filter to locate that server in the future.

Does Veteran allow for 3rd person view? Or is that setting different per server...

I plan on playing a veteran server, was just testing this one out to get a feel of things and get used to the fairly different control setup. My main reason is for the tags. I mostly stopped playing PvP DM games because of that drives me nuts that someone can spot you without seeing you because you have a banner over your head saying where you are at all times.

Not all regular servers have tags. I've played on a bunch that don't...

and it's up to the admin of the server as to whether it has 3rd person or crosshairs (at least that has been my experience)

Edited by Jenn