Sign in to follow this  
caspar

Server issue - Out of memory, just a matter of time

My DayZ Server keep to stop working after a couple of hours because the main memory is fully reserved and the application can't reserve more memory.

egfthyb6.png

p><p>First I

%7Boption%7D

After that i figured out that the 'used' memory isn't the problem, its is the 'reserved' memory which is growing and growing until it reaches the maximum of my available memory of the server. And then the Error Message pops up.

Second, I've added '-maxmem=800' to the 'start_DayServer.bat' but the Server still get over this mark with used and reserved main memory.

Currently i have no clue what to do against this. At the moment i can only get 1.3 GB memory free for the Dedicated Server and i am afraid to 'upgrade' my system for more memory because i cant be sure it will solve this problem.

Our arma 2 servers can get up to about 3gb each in memory (they are normally restarted before they get to that stage though).

It is highly likely installing more memory will fix your problem...

There is no other Solution? I am still curios about the fact that the memory cleaner can drop the used memory to 300 MB but the reserved memory wont drop. There must be some kind of memory leakage.

Also it's a matter of time that people start to complain about the insufficient server stability if they have to be restarted over and over again.

I am also not sure if this has even something to do with DayZ. Maybe its a general Problem with the Dedicated Server Executables of Arma 2:OA. Would be nice to know at least.

@cm.

How long is the Server running until it hits the 3 GB Limit?

Mine will reach the 1.3GB Limit within ~2-3 Hours.

There is no other Solution? I am still curios about the fact that the memory cleaner can drop the used memory to 300 MB but the reserved memory wont drop. There must be some kind of memory leakage.

*DING DING DING DING DING DING DING*

ArmA 2 Memory Leak. It's been a persistent problem since ArmA 1, and continues right into OA.

Couple that with the fact that the missions (and the virtual machine that execute the scripts) have absolutely no native garbage collection whatsoever, that the virtual machine has really odd inheritance redundancies, etc., and what you get is serious memory bloating.

Your post title really says it all: Out of memory, just a matter of time.

What arma2oaserver version are you using?

Non Beta version is 87548

Try the latest beta one.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Important fixes present in latest beta:

http://armalog.phpfogapp.com/changelog/92767

"[92705] Fixed: Possible crash when in out of VRAM conditions because of a race condition. "

"[88726] Fixed: Frequent client/server crashes in MP (when merging multipacket messages)"

"[87963] Optimized: Reduced memory footprint in complex missions."

1.3GB is on the low side to run an Arma2 server I'm afraid.

"The most recent beta definently leaks memory. "

We are running arma2oaserver version 92770 with no memory issues.

ArmA 2: Custom Memory Allocator

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Custom_Memory_Allocator

"You can specify allocator for Windows dedicated server the same way as for client binary, but expected performance gain is minimal, because of low concurrency of the dedicated server code compared to a client. "

@JMan,

i've installed now the latest B.Patch (ARMA2_OA_Build_92767.zip) and the new DayZ Server (v0.7 hive)

but where did you got the 92770 version?

@LtTireBiter

before you wrote it, i figured this out myself, but I'm using now "tbb4malloc_bi", is the v3 better?

Hopefully this will show some kind of effect. Thanks for your help :)

"where did you got the 92770 version?"

Server beta versions differ from the client therefore the latest server beta is 92770 but still packaged in 92767 beta archive. Check top of server rpt for clarification.

@Jman,

thanks, for the input. I've tried yesterday to start the ARMA2:OA Ded. Server after i've installed the BetaPatch but the memory leakage still appear. After that i checked the ARMA2OASERVER.RPT and the server still start as 1.60.87548.

I figured out that the Beta Patch install all content into the "Extension\Beta" folder but until yet i am unable to get it running. Do i have to overwrite the existing Files in ARMA2:OA root folder with those of the beta folder? Or with which Command are you starting the Beta Patched Ded. Server?

EDIT:

If i replace (only) the original 1.60.87548 arma2oaserver.exe with the new one of the beta folder, and try to start DayZ, a Error Message will appear:

JayArma2Lib: Incompatible version of ArmA2 or unable to check version.

I will try to upgrade JayArma2Lib ...

EDIT #2:

Upgrading to JayArmA2Lib_V1.4.38 didn't helped, the same Error Message appear.

You don't overwrite anything, you add the beta path to the new beta exe ie.

E:\Programs\ArmA2\Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe\-port=2302 -mod=expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@JayArma2Lib;@DayZ -name=Server-DayZ -config=E:\Server-DayZ\Server-DayZ.cfg -cfg=E:\Server-DayZ\Arma2-DayZ.cfg -profiles=E:\Server-DayZ

My bat, located in the root folder of Arma2:OA looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -mod=expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@JayArma2Lib;@DayZ -name=cfgdayz -config=cfgdayz\server.cfg -cfg=cfgdayz\arma2.cfg -profiles=cfgdayz -world=Chernarus -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=7

And again, the error message appear:

JayArma2Lib: Incompatible version of ArmA2 or unable to check version.

EDIT #1:

I created a link, as described in the readme of the beta patch:

target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion
working path: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

with this i am able to start the ded. executable w/o any error, but also without any 'reaction'. I see in the Task Manager that the arma2oaserver.exe from the beta folder starts, but after 1-2 sec. it disappear without any messages in the log files... (hell this getting better and better).

I'm afraid I don't run Arma servers from Steam so I cannot help you with that one.

I've finally managed to let the server run with the latest beta patch. i will see if this will change anything and report it later. Thank you for your help until yet.

Still server has 'Out of memory' problems after a couple of hours. I will try as soon as i can the latest 1.5.8.2 Edition of DayZ (and Server), maybe this will solve the Problem.

If not, i would really like to ask all other Server Admins out there, how is your memory commit usage ? Is it endless growing and you have to restart the Server periodically ? or is it stable?

If not' date=' i would really like to ask all other Server Admins out there, how is your memory commit usage ? Is it endless growing and you have to restart the Server periodically ? or is it stable?

[/quote']

As I explained originally, the footprint will continue to grow. It's just a matter of time. How fast it does it is dependent on a lot of things: How many landmasses have been loaded during the instance. How many missions have been loaded during the instance. How many entries for unique players have been created.

It will gradually grow over time. Stable operations will, over that same period, drop. And it's not a linear progression, either. Dependent on a slew of variables, like the extensiveness of scripts running, the amount of garbage the mission tracks, player counts, etc., ArmA 2 will eventually destabilize. This could lead me to an uptime of anywhere from four hours on the low end to twelve hours on the high end.

Right now my memory use is at 828,241K on one of my instances. That instance has been up for seven hours at this point. However, those seven hours began during the overnight/after prime-time hours. Had the instance been started 12 hours earlier, memory usage would be double that in about half the time.

Typically, at twelve hours, I make the unilateral declaration that stable or not the server is well past its sanity limit and bring the instance down completely before restarting it.