Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cocks

I'm having mixed feelings as a potential tester/purchaser of this games. Mollify me?

Hello DayZ Forums! I've been doing some research into DayZ and what I've found has inspired a few drastically different feelings about the mod.

On one hand, you seem to have an aspiring rich community that I honestly feel can be improved with minimal work (I understand there are a lot of pessimists out there, but proper communication skills will get you farther that you would get shouting "FRIEND!" at possible assailants). The game system/graphics appear to be very well established with minimal bugs that I understand are inevitable in the creation of an alpha game, so another plus there. Also, the idea of dedicated servers and a consistent recording of your character is comforting for a casual gamer like myself.

On the OTHER hand, though, bandits seem to be prominent and a notable threat to the community's well-being (although there are some rising stars in the business of combating these malicious forces and even helping others :D). This is, as I have noted, a game in its ALPHA stage and this worries me for a number of reasons including potential purging of servers with updates and no actual guarantee that I will be granted access to the beta and finalized version of the game (Although these are a bit silly; I'm sure the developers have something nice in store but even then, the game could just be cut of and not even finalized at all).

So please put an end to my worries and tell me: Is this game worth the investment? (I understand that it is a relatively cheap investment but I don't like to bother with tossing out cash easily. {Call me a miser :P})

No.

This game is brutal, it's hard, it's difficult to run, and it's full of glitches. We're not going to lie to you and say it's a magical self-installing cakewalk of sunshine.

If this kind of game appeals to you enough, you'll make the choice to buy it. That choice is yours though. It's your money, your game, and your experience; we can't make the decision for you. Do the research, think about it, and make an informed decision.

Edited by Techercizer
  • Like 1

No.

Not comforting. You seem experienced, though; surely you don't regret your purchase?

Not comforting. You seem experienced, though; surely you don't regret your purchase?

No I don't. I'm not you, though.

I'm fairly new to this game. I didn't purchase it myself, someone gifted it to me on steam. Do I regret them doing this? No, I think it's fun as hell and I expect to get even more joy out of it with future updates.

No I don't. I'm not you, though.

Suppose not. I also suppose that you have a reason for answering me so?

I'm fairly new to this game. I didn't purchase it myself, someone gifted it to me on steam. Do I regret them doing this? No, I think it's fun as hell and I expect to get even more joy out of it with future updates.

I'm glad you're enjoying your experience! I've found that I can get everything for as cheap as around 13 bucks, so I think this is definitely a step foward to me mustering up the cash to get everything.

You'll find that this isn't only a game of survival. Its more then that, its a game of Thrill and Emotion.

Not every game you pick up and play isn't always different everytime you spawn. You literally will have no idea what is in one house, or if its worth running past loads of zombies just to loot something, weather it could be an empty can, or a M16 with food. This game is different everytime.

That also means you have no clue who your running into, I'll use some expierences to explain this.

Going through a city hearing gunshots is scary,

When I ran to a building to hide, another player was there, him and I both jump "Woah! Friendly, Friendly!" On the mic. He explains that he is with his friend, and invites me to tag along. I have never survived longer in the game without Friendlies.

Another time... I ran into two banidts who took me hostage, asked me to loot a hospital for them, asking for certain stuff. After finding all this, they told me to kill another hostage with a battle axe. ): R.I.P. other noob. In the end, they gave me a rifle and told me to run away, and never come back or else I would be shot..... woah.

So this game IS worth it for one part, because it will always be different, weather your playing with friends or not, its unique.

Since its in Alpha stage, lots of problems do tend to come up. Plenty of videos are posted and help is given out to people who have trouble updating and what not. I wouldn't worry to much about that, multiple ways to install, and multiple programs that can update it automatically like Six Launcher I use, suggested to use by Rocket himself. Don't freak out on that, I did, but in the end after watching tutorials, guides and videos if you have trouble installing, you'll be running your ass away from Zombies sooner then you think!

Hope this helps,

I'm always Hungry for your beans! (:

~Moodrich

You'll find that this isn't only a game of survival. Its more then that, its a game of Thrill and Emotion.

Not every game you pick up and play isn't always different everytime you spawn. You literally will have no idea what is in one house, or if its worth running past loads of zombies just to loot something, weather it could be an empty can, or a M16 with food. This game is different everytime.

That also means you have no clue who your running into, I'll use some expierences to explain this.

Going through a city hearing gunshots is scary,

When I ran to a building to hide, another player was there, him and I both jump "Woah! Friendly, Friendly!" On the mic. He explains that he is with his friend, and invites me to tag along. I have never survived longer in the game without Friendlies.

Another time... I ran into two banidts who took me hostage, asked me to loot a hospital for them, asking for certain stuff. After finding all this, they told me to kill another hostage with a battle axe. ): R.I.P. other noob. In the end, they gave me a rifle and told me to run away, and never come back or else I would be shot..... woah.

So this game IS worth it for one part, because it will always be different, weather your playing with friends or not, its unique.

Since its in Alpha stage, lots of problems do tend to come up. Plenty of videos are posted and help is given out to people who have trouble updating and what not. I wouldn't worry to much about that, multiple ways to install, and multiple programs that can update it automatically like Six Launcher I use, suggested to use by Rocket himself. Don't freak out on that, I did, but in the end after watching tutorials, guides and videos if you have trouble installing, you'll be running your ass away from Zombies sooner then you think!

Hope this helps,

I'm always Hungry for your beans! (:

~Moodrich

Thank you for the insightful opinion on DayZ! I really appreciate this and I'm starting to think this game is an investment that I can enjoy immensely. And I do apologize, I'm out of beans :(

Ok, in a sense ... If you look at this game, how many other games can you go out and do what you want be a Bandit and kill someone and steal their stuff, or consider yourself a Medic even though you dont really have to spec it like certain games and you can heal people with blood bags, morphine, epi- pens, or just try to even it out and be a Lonewolf. Yes alot of people just kill on sight but that is normal in this game right now ive watched videos and i think hes trying to even that out to try to give people reasons to Co-op, or even play Lonewolf if they would like.

I'm new. I made a thread about my experiences so far. This game is a blast with friends, but make no mistake.. there's players that hunt other players.

Why would you play?

If you play to get entertained, or if you feel that the makers of the mod owe you anything, even playability, then it's not for you.

If you want a game with elements of another game-- classes like wow, knife kills like some shooter, levels, quests, experience levels and points, then this game is not for you.

Frankly, if you're looking for co-op, don't try it unless you are teamed up going in. Find a clan or friends on team speak or steam or whatever.

If you can't handle a learning curve without a tutorial or instructions or even rational sanity sometimes, this game is not for you.

If bugs and glitches make you shrug and move on, or rage briefly and then get right back at it, then yes.

If you want the challenge of a learning curve, and even to have to go to the forums or back into the base game to practice something or learn how it works, then this game is for you.

If you are content to realize that you are privelidged to test and work with this mod, but to realize that it will break, not work, be frustrating, change and ultimately not fit your vision but that of the creator, this game is for you.

If you're looking to be creative, to explore, to have tense times waiting minutes for something to happen, and don't want just another shooter, this game is for you.

If you're capable of installing your own files, and understanding that the base game is releasing beta files, and that this mod releases it's own set of alpha files as well, then this is your game.

If you realize that in the mod's infancy, hackers will cause your death at any time as will rocks, doors, trees and the occasional zombie or other player, this game is for you.

make sure you realize what my signature says before you make your decision. This mod is fun for exploring and collecting, but your "stuff" can be lost at any moment.

• Like 1

Why would you play?

If you play to get entertained, or if you feel that the makers of the mod owe you anything, even playability, then it's not for you.

If you want a game with elements of another game-- classes like wow, knife kills like some shooter, levels, quests, experience levels and points, then this game is not for you.

Frankly, if you're looking for co-op, don't try it unless you are teamed up going in. Find a clan or friends on team speak or steam or whatever.

If you can't handle a learning curve without a tutorial or instructions or even rational sanity sometimes, this game is not for you.

If bugs and glitches make you shrug and move on, or rage briefly and then get right back at it, then yes.

If you want the challenge of a learning curve, and even to have to go to the forums or back into the base game to practice something or learn how it works, then this game is for you.

If you are content to realize that you are privelidged to test and work with this mod, but to realize that it will break, not work, be frustrating, change and ultimately not fit your vision but that of the creator, this game is for you.

If you're looking to be creative, to explore, to have tense times waiting minutes for something to happen, and don't want just another shooter, this game is for you.

If you're capable of installing your own files, and understanding that the base game is releasing beta files, and that this mod releases it's own set of alpha files as well, then this is your game.

If you realize that in the mod's infancy, hackers will cause your death at any time as will rocks, doors, trees and the occasional zombie or other player, this game is for you.

make sure you realize what my signature says before you make your decision. This mod is fun for exploring and collecting, but your "stuff" can be lost at any moment.

Again, the insightful ability of this game's veteran's and their concern for their community is inspiring. I've actually read quite a bit of your posts now that I think about it, and you've definitely exposed a lot of dark truths about the game. Over the course of my research, I've realized these things. So, thank you for the warning. It will be heeded :)

All I can say is that I have enjoyed the game the moment I got it! It was easy for me to install but I have spent my life using computers so It's straight forward.

The game makes you feel fear but not from the Zombies itself, from other players. If a zombie see's you they chase you, That's nothing to worry about, it's the players looking around and then spotting running zombies, they then know someone is near and then your life is in danger and you know that! You feel so afraid the moment you hear a gunshot in the distance, you panic and need to act fast, Do you stay and fight? Or try to run and hide, but those zombies are chasing you still, so you can't hide so easily, Lotsa of fear and panic.

You also feel excited when you find good loot, or when you just pulled off a kill on another player who was trying to kill you. You will expeience adrenaline rushes when your in a firefight with someone about to lose everything and it makes you fight for your life as if you were actually there.

And finally Anger, Rage and Sadness may be felt when you finally meet your death and lose all your items that you spent hours to get, some people rage and scream, Some feel annoyed and sad but you always hit that button to play again and go through all these emotons over and over.

No other game I know makes me cycle through so many emotions, and continue to make me feel like that even though I have played a lot!

I would also like to say, If you buy Arma 2, DayZ is not the only Mod! There's another called "Project Reality" which is a very interesting and fun mod, So it's worth picking up the game for DayZ and the many other mods out there.

Why would you play?

My beans sir; you have them.

Very well put.

Why thank you... And on the lighter side, I do love the game.

I get pissed when I die, sure, but very shortly, the glamour of that next life is calling.

Every time is a little different. I do fun stuff, sometimes, goofy stuff like run through the high pvp cities just to see how long before I get shot...

Mostly I just like to explore the villages and airfields and stuff and see who I run into.

Although I never seem to find vehicles :(

Why thank you... And on the lighter side, I do love the game.

I get pissed when I die, sure, but very shortly, the glamour of that next life is calling.

Every time is a little different. I do fun stuff, sometimes, goofy stuff like run through the high pvp cities just to see how long before I get shot...

Mostly I just like to explore the villages and airfields and stuff and see who I run into.

Although I never seem to find vehicles :(

It's great to know that some people can just play the game for fun like this. I understand there's a lot I really don't know but I'll learn the law of the land willingly. Beans if I had them.

Its a game of emotion. It will make you laugh. It will make you sad to see your best pal being eaten by zombies after being sniped in the leg. It will make your heart pound when your fighting for your life against bandits.

Its the most dynamic game i have ever played. All in all its worth its weight in gold.

If you like sandbox games and love atmotspere and tension, you will most likly like Dayz. Oh and you have to be ok with perma death also. The bugs are not that bad anymore, you can play many hours and not experiance one, except for maybe glitch zombies (part of which is to do with lag). Provided your careful when going prone through doorways or over rocks (basically don't do it) most bugs are rare.

It can be a pain to get installed and patched up, but there are many easy installers out there that install it for you, 6 launcher among others. I, in no way regret my purchace, I have had many hours of enjoyment out of Dayz and ARMA 2 (which is what your really buying) is fun in of itself. There is nothing out there like Dayz and you will earn serius nerd creb by plaing during beta.

paid £20 for ArmaII

ive glitched off buildings, died crawling through door ways, got jammed behind rocks and insta died trying to escape, been killed by having doors closed on me, lost equipment becasue the game thought F..u and ate it when i tried to log on, ive been shot(many times), hit over the head with crowbars and axes, ended up spawned in the middle of the ocean loosing most of my gear in the process, torn to shreds by zombies, shot by invisible players, spent hours hunting for the gear of my choice only to die minutes later before even using it, been unable to login and play for a couple of days becasue i got jammed at 'waiting for host', spent a rediculous amount of time running around lost in the middle of no where with nothing but tree's and more tree's as landmarks .... and ya know what .... even though ive never played ArmaII with the exception of the helicopter training tutuorial thingy its still pretty dam high up my best money spent on a game list

Toughen The F*&k up a buy it, then prepared to get frustrated exilierated dismayed and scared like probably no game ive ever played