Sign in to follow this  
MattRB

A guideline to DayZ courtesy and vocabulary.

In this thread I'll try to keep track of and set a standard for courtesy and vocabulary in the world of DayZ. Please suggest additions/changes.

The "Friendly?" Exchance:

This is the most basic thing to do before approaching or even aiming at another player. Ask in chat if they are friendly. They will usually respond in the positive, or not at all. If you asked and they respond "yes" it is implied that YOU are also friendly. Do not shoot someone after you have asked and they have confirmed, that's a dick move. This should really be done in a cautious manner, and if time critical you should probably forgoe this and start shooting. If you stumble upon another player in the airfield looting the same building you are... there's not much time to talk.

Common DayZ Courtesy:

• Make your intentions clear, or do not state them at all.
  • Greet other players in a courteous manner, without being hostile, and ask their intentions ins a simple manner: suggested ", friendly?" as has already mostly been established.
  • The other player is expected to respond, in responding please follow guideline one. If you intend to hurt the player don't say otherwise, say nothing or say "I am going to hurt you." etc.
  • Do not kill players who you've asked the position of, and they're response is friendly. Friendly is implicit for you since you asked.
  • Do not approach other players without asking their position and/or making yours known.
  • Do not take other's things.
  • Do not loot areas others have cleared.
  • Avoid others whenever possible.
  • If it is within your means, respond to calls for help.
  • DONT USE YOUR MICROPHONE ON GLOBAL CHAT.

Vocabulary:

• Zombie/Zed/Z/Walker/Shuffler/Walking dead = A reanimated zombie.
  • Strong Zombie/Milizombie/Military Zombie = A military zombie, which has double health. (approx.)
  • Crawler = One of the above which has had it's legs disabled.
  • Survivor/Player = You, and I :).
  • Airfield/Airbase/Military Base = All great spots to find loot.
  • Cherno = Chernogrosk, a death trap 90% of the time.
  • Elektro/Electro/Elec(k) = Elektrogorsk, often worse of a deathtrap than Cherno.
  • Spawn/The Coast = Low risk/low reward loot areas. Often has tons of player killing, home to most newer players/characters.
  • The North = The wilderness away from the coast. Much calmer here, and has more experienced players with highger rish/reward loot.

Our group actually calls them "Runners", we think its alot more appropriate in Dayz than "walkers"

The fact that people trust others when they say "friendly" astounds me. Do not trust anyone ever unless you know them. Hell, I'm surprised PKers haven't been doing this more. It becomes even more true the farther north you move where things seem to drop into shoot on sight cause that guy might have an AK/m16/lots of meat.

Personally if I spot someone and they don't see me I move on. Most people seem to do the same, but some open fire at first sight.

Do not trust words, your risk is your choice however. The more you have to lose, the less you will risk.

Want an easy way to finda PKer? Announce that you are in a city up north and if anyone else is there, they come out of the woodwork.

I guess following your guideline will make a few players end up like Uberhen

Dont trust any one before they have showned that thay are worty of your trust!

And newer give away your position.

If any one you knewer meet before want you to meat them on a specific spot you might want to think twice before doing so. It could just aswell be an ambush or some badguys will be moving in as well.

"Freyar, are you friendly?"

"Only if you don't point your crap at me."

lol honor among thieves - there is none!

these rules are pretty stupid. the griefers who PK all day aren't going to follow these rules and those who would follow these rules aren't the ones who'd PK you anyways (not unless they were doing it to survive, which atm if you aren't literally tripping over survival loot, you're doing it wrong).

Not rules, I'm just documenting how people tend to act now.

The thing that I want to know is: What's the point in asking if someone is friendly?

"Are you friendly?"

"Yes"

*BLAM!*

"Only joking!"

What do you expect them to say? Nothing? Well that wont work either. Why? Because it's an obvious ruse. I've found that the only way to survive in this is simply stay as a lone wolf. If you find a group that is good and friendly then that's a great thing, but remember that as numbers go up, stealth goes down.

The thing that I want to know is: What's the point in asking if someone is friendly?

"Are you friendly?"

"Yes"

*BLAM!*

"Only joking!"

What do you expect them to say? Nothing? Well that wont work either. Why? Because it's an obvious ruse. I've found that the only way to survive in this is simply stay as a lone wolf. If you find a group that is good and friendly then that's a great thing' date=' but remember that as numbers go up, stealth goes down.

[/quote']

The point is if you ask someone if they're friendly you're increasing the chances of surviving the situation.

Often times I'll be walking around and someone asks "Friendly?" when I see them. If they hadn't done so I would have probably killed them. By your logic what is the point of ANY communication? You have to take risks to make gain.

These are great rules. Last night playing for the first time, I've met a few friendlies who go by these rules and I was able to survive a bit longer.

Thanks OP.

Anyways, sad thing is you'd almost shoot a person labeled as a Bandit because he killed to defend himself.

One should only be labeled a bandit for looting the player they kill, so you don't loot a player to murdered to avoid being labeled a bandit... Maybe this is already in effect. I'm new, sorry.

Anyways, if you kill enough non-bandit survivors, you can be labeled a psychopath or just murderer.

This whole 'Are you friendly' business seems rather ludicrous to me. If you get the jump on someone else by calling their name and asking their intentions before they see you, of course they're going to be your best friend. That doesn't mean they aren't just as likely to pop you the moment they see that you're a lot nicer than they are.

Dude, I'm sorry but who are these rules supposed to be for? Clueless noobs?

"Hey are you friendly?"

"Yes. Where are you?"

"I'm Here" ... gets shot in the face.

These are really stupid rules to play by, unless you wanna die as fast as possible.

So I guess this is a mindless PvP for many or you? Also Lone Wolf as you wanna stay away from people... I really like that I can role play with strangers, I honestly don't care about dying because I'll always find a dead player with everything I need like a map, hunting knife, tools, CZ, etc etc.

I love you guys for giving this game variety. I'll always find a different kind of person in the wilds.