Sign in to follow this  
Judemoukari

So I'm now one of you.

So now I can be counted as one of you, growing population of survivors. Took 20 bucks, lots of downloading, and many hours of figuring out how to get this mod working. Did I mention dozen times trying to get to server? And then, I'm dead in 5 minutes.

Second try. This time I knew what to expect and I actually manage to survive few hours. And my death wasn't purely my own fault, since it was a bullet out of nowhere that took my life away.

Maybe it was bad luck, maybe it was my poor sense of cover.

Most of the time I was crawling slowly around towns or fields. Then few kilometers of running and repeat. And everytime I tried to speed things up a bit, I managed to get chased by those raging maniacs. Patience is clearly at test here. Now that I think of it, I actually got to shoot three or four times. I had Lee Enfield, trusty old rifle with 80 bullets. It's funny how I thought that now that I finally have a weapon that I can use for long distance peace making, it will totally change the game. No it didn't. It didn't change anything. And reason was that I didn't think it was wise to use it. One shot in the middle of the city, and your basically dead because of all the zed and bandits swarming to take their share. When did I start to appreciate my life in a game?

I had really REALLY bad issues with network, at some point I could play 3 mins and I was kicked out. And that wasn't all. I already knew what Arma engine was like. I have never played anything on it, but this really surprised me. It's incredibly hard to master, it's stiff as hell, and inventory management is straight from my nightmares. It's not THAT bad when you get the hang of it, but at first it's really hard to use.

I read these forums a bit before I started playing, and I noticed large amount of hate towards bandits. I also noticed posts that told: "don't trust anyone". I didn't have that kind of experience. In my lifetime I met two complete strangers. First I met in some military base, not far from spawn. I had only hatchet, but so had he. I yelled at him and kept my weapon ready. Turns out we were both low on supplies, and decide to travel together. 10 minutes later I've lost him. I decide to keep on going. Next encounter happens in bigger city. I'm inside house, looting some food, and I hear footsteps. I yell again, and ask if this stranger is friendly and armed. He answers positively. We do some trading, and we're both on our own way. Third encounter was inside some church, in the same city. We negotiate and everything turns out fine. At this point I have almost forgotten all about bandits.

I find a compass, and decide to travel north. But first I have to cross the whole city. I feel confident because of the Lee Enfield rifle in my hands. Only few buildings left and I'm out. I check the street. Nothing in sight. I start to run. But damn, one of those walkers comes in the view. He sees me, and starts chasing me. I panick. I see open door ahead of me. I rush inside and close the door. There's lot of them outside, I can tell by the sounds. I move upstairs so I could shoot them. One shot. Two. Three. More run towards the building I'm in. And then I die.

I stare at the screen. All those hours wasted. And I don't even know what killed me. I think it was a bandit, but I can't confirm it. Game won't tell me. I click abort and go to desktop. Amazing. Even though I only crawled around city and avoided zombies, it was most intense gaming session I've ever experienced. This is the game that tells you what happens after "Dawn Of The Dead" ending credits roll. This is not only a game in traditional sense. It's experience. I have to admit I hate Arma engine. It's just not something I like to see in games made in 2010. But I still think it's the only REAL engine for this mod. You can't do something like this in any other game engine. It really pulls you in, and it won't let you go. Or atleast I feel that way. You see, I did all these things the way I would have done in real life. I lived in the island of Chernarus. And that is a hell of achievement. In that second I wake up at the coast again, I have already forgotten low fps, laggy zombies, stiff inventory, incredibly slow pace, and buggy gameplay. How could I think about those in the middle of zombie apocalypse, when I'm in desperate fight for survival?

• Like 1

So what do you want to complain or discuss about?

And trusting someone is a fault you shouldn't make. Only rely on others and trust them if you both have no weapons or only hatches. Even when you trust someone unarmed it can be a fault. I've readt posts from some guys that work together with others for hours until they get a gun and then they backstab their partners...

Edited by Labargoth

This is DayZ . Play it , enjoy it , love it and Rage quit

I wish more people who post on the forums were like you! Kindred souls, you and I. Glad to see that somebody else "gets it" For all the hair-pulling and teeth gnashing, it's those fifteen seconds when bullets are fliying around you or the zomboids are trying to rip your throat out that keep me coming back. Wide-eyed, white-knuckled and practically snarling like a wild animal. Chernarus is an unforgiving opponent, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let her beat me. Just remember, keep your spirits up and your head down, and remember that you can only cheat the Reaper for so long.

Happy Hunting Bud.

This is DayZ . Play it , enjoy it , love it and Rage quit

This.

This mod is absolutely awesome, even if there are some major/minor bugs and problems.

I really see the potential of creating something revolutionary like CS, DoTA or Minecraft.

Btw, any suggestions how make Arma OA run better? In singleplayer it runs 60 fps all the time, but when I log in to DayZ and play it a while, it goes under 20 and never comes back.

I can stand it, I really don't even notice it when I'm sneaking around town to get supplies, but wouldn't complain if there was some way to fix this.

I wish more people who post on the forums were like you! Kindred souls, you and I. Glad to see that somebody else "gets it" For all the hair-pulling and teeth gnashing, it's those fifteen seconds when bullets are fliying around you or the zomboids are trying to rip your throat out that keep me coming back. Wide-eyed, white-knuckled and practically snarling like a wild animal. Chernarus is an unforgiving opponent, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let her beat me. Just remember, keep your spirits up and your head down, and remember that you can only cheat the Reaper for so long.

Happy Hunting Bud.

I even played Red Orchestra 2 when it was still buggy as hell, and I didn't complain. I knew it would be fixed sooner or later, and it had that charm I just couldn't resist. Same here. This is so... Something else. I've seen enough generic fps shooters already. This just... Feels so different. It gives you power to make choices. Finally a "shooter" where you use most of the time in other things than shooting. And just like you said, those fifteen seconds of awesomenes.

Btw, any suggestions how make Arma OA run better? In singleplayer it runs 60 fps all the time, but when I log in to DayZ and play it a while, it goes under 20 and never comes back.

I can stand it, I really don't even notice it when I'm sneaking around town to get supplies, but wouldn't complain if there was some way to fix this.

I don't know but I have the same problem, seems to be the connection to the server slows it down because I can get 40fps on some servers while I get 10 on another :P

• Like 1

I don't know but I have the same problem, seems to be the connection to the server slows it down because I can get 40fps on some servers while I get 10 on another :P

Hmm, really weird. I get somewhere around 30 fps when I start, but after awhile it just drops to under 20. I've tried to lower settings (even though I know that it doesn't work that way in Arma), use Game Booster (didn't help at all), and tweak some data (used Arma forums for this), but no use. Maybe I should upgrade my computer. Or just live with it. But I seriously believe it's because of our network.

Edit: Also, it doesn't seem to drop frame rate if I turn everything to very high. My computer seem to drops onto it's knees only when I turn AA to max.

Edited by Judemoukari