Sign in to follow this  
Koidn

Differences between SD and normal ammunition

What are all the differences between SD and normal mags?

I heard that SD mags aren't perfectly accurate when shot in a normal weapon, is that true?

SD mags are silenced ammo if you got a weapon that can shoot it its silenced afaik

Yes but you can use both ammunition types for both weapon types, so do they have advantages and disadvantages?

Edited by Koidn

like i said before afaik if the weapon can shoot SD ammo its silenced some weapons cannot shoot SD mags

The SD ammo is rounds made to be fired at a sub-sonic sound level there for making way less noise but the fact that it is a subsonic round makes it fire at a much lower velocity which in turn cause's it to do less damage. Thats why guns with a suppressor are weaker then there non-suppressed counter parts, its not the suppressor but the ammo they have to fire.

Take this with a grain of salt, only my personal experiences.

The practical application in the game as far as I know: SD ammo does not attract zombies even if fired from a regular, non-SD weapon. They do sound the same to players however.

Regular weapon with regular ammo: normal audbility for players and zombies

Regular weapon with SD ammo: normal audibility for players, silent for zombies

SD weapon with SD ammo: suppressed sound for players, silent for zombies

SD weapon with regular ammo: not possible

I can't comment on accuracy, bullet drop, accuracy etc. of SD rounds vs. regular rounds.

Zombies cant hear sd but it shoots higher in non sd guns, also you cant use non-sd ammo in an sd gun.

Also, Rocket has decreased the accuracy when using SD in non SD weapons, to discourage the exploit

You CAN use normal mags in SD weapons (at least in Epoch).  I have noticed they seem to attract attention at a similar level to normal rounds though although the weapon sounds silenced to the player.

• Like 1

Latest version of Epoch, you can't use regular Makarov ammo in the SD.

This needs to be addressed, imo - a suppressed weapon can fire regular ammunition just as well as subsonic, and vice versa. The only difference would be the sound (I understand this aspect may be a limitation of the Arma engine).

How to balance this? Make the ammo evenly distributed - less regular ammo and more SD ammo? I dunno. It's just frustrating that you're kept from using a cartridge that would work just fine in reality.