Devmagic

Zombie Survival My A***

I agree. I got into this game because i thought it would be a zombie survival sim, not a glorified deathmatch.

It's a shame too, because i really enjoy the gameplay.

It was never meant to be a zombie survival only. There even is a info on the mainpage saying something along the lines of 2million murders so getting shot is to be expected.

When there wouldn't be people shooting the game would become way to easy because right now, zombies are no real threat at all.

People play a game about surviving in a post apocalyptic environment and whine when getting shot. Somebody missed the point of the game.

Btw 14mil survival attempts only 2mil murders (and 300000 bandit kills) so only every 7th person get's killed by PvP, that's more than exceptable seeing that so far i only died in firefights.

In a way I agree with the OP. Personally, I don't mind being killed if it happens in an interesting way. Being sniped by a guy I don't even know about 700 meters out for no good reason while I scavenge for beans is never interesting. In any way.

Remove the high power sniper rifles, range finders etc. Let bandits have to WORK for their kills. As in actually get into real fire fights. That would be interesting and fun.

• Like 1

Oh another person saying how lame the game is. That's original. Can't we put a tag on these threads and just combine them? People should use the search function. OUT OF CONTROL SON!

Even if you are correct, he's ranting. He can't blow out steam by fucking searching and reading someone else's rant.

You are only a few days in >>> thread

Give it more time man, as me and my friedn said the other day "we all died TONS of times the first few weeks"

I did not start LOVIGN this game until 3-4 weeks after I started playing.

You will learn more things as you play and also youll learn to be more careful of snipers.

You have to look out for bandits JUST as much as looking out for zombies (sometimes even more!).

I have been killed many times by bandits, building doors, a friend runnign into me, two foot fall,etc.. It is in alpha stage and its still more fun then 99% of games that are out atm. There are some issues and im sure there will be for a long time, just gotta keep playign and learn to take the few bad things with all the good things.

I play by myself about 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time I play with 2-8 friends, try mixign it up and good luck!

For me part of the big draw from this game is always beign worried in the back of my mind about some bandits following me,etc...

Edited by kozzy

It wasnt like this before. If you play this game more than a month, you know what I mean. around 70% people WERENT shooting on sight because there was bandit skin/ survivor skin. Bandits had hard times back then. I had the bandit skin because I was a jerk and I worked hard to get the survivor skin back...and then there was no bandit skin anymore. I liked the game much more when there were bandit/survivor skins..you can hate me for that. Yeah it was unrealistic but I personally dont give a shit because this is a videogame. Anyone who thinks that people would shoot on sight if zombie apocalypse happened are assholes because that just wouldnt happen, people wouldnt want to die right...dayZ is just deathmatch on a big map now. I remember when I visited Elektro for the first time..teamed up with like 4 people...no one was shooting anyone.....and well, a lot of assholes bought ARMA when it became popular..like this dude above me.

Wrong.

Get to close to someones stash without announcing yourself, dead.

Sneak up on a group without announcing yourself, dead.

Pointing a gun at someone you just met, dead.

Coming across a starving person and you have a stash of food, dead.

Getting to close to someones base, dead.

You have far too much faith in humanity.

Underlined: Which is why people shoot on sight in game and would do it in real life as well.

• Like 1

me and one other person i play with, got killed. no big deal, respawned and just booked it into cherno full well knowing we were going to get shot but we had hatchets and were going to fuck with people. we started climbing up the ladder to the tallest building and ofcourse a sniper was shooting at us, missing like crazy, and so the two of us decide to fuck with him and dance on the roof. after about 7 mags of dmr shot at us, he still kept shooting finally got my freind, so i kept the show going and the sniper shot another 5 mags at me. my freind was going to track him down. while he is doing that the sniper ran out of ammo and just unloaded a pistol at me still trying to kill me and another sniper killed me right after that. my freind told me there was about 5 other players comeing after him with hatches, he killed them all including my freind.

persistent little fuck

@Super67:

Yes all people who shoot someone in a game would have the exact same behavior in the real life situation. No, that stuff would happen but do not make a stupid broad statement like that. You sound like the people saying GTA made people commit violence.

better don't cry in the forums about that. the snipers here have a big postcount, a nice signature, an awesome picture and a badass i dont give a fuck attitude. they are ready to own ya for bumping their self-worth

• Like 1

DayZ is a first person deranged paranoid power fantasy for right wing shut-ins who would blow their own nuts off the moment they were handed a real firearm and probably already have done, shooter. Just like EVERY OTHER FPS OUT THERE. It's a game that inspires the schizophrentic and psychopathic to do whatever they want and then uses the word, not the action, of realism, so that they can aritifically fool themselves into thinking "I'm an okay human being, this is how things would really work out!" Disregarding the unending amount of fantasy that shatters the entire concept of realism. The simple fact that we respawn makes it not much different from Minecraft. The level of paranoia and justification/overdefensiveness rivals heavily armed cabins in the middle of Wisconsin.

If you're looking for real survival, you need to go out and actually try surviving in the real world. Gamers are complacent and easily bored, and insist they have to be killing each other for entertainment. Meanwhile, I have dozens of games with relatively forgotten, or miniscule PvP element that people play constantly, oh but according to these "gamers" they're just casual players. Are we really so dense as to segregate based on whether we enjoy intellegence over gung-ho paranoia? I digress.

Games are not going to scratch that survival itch in anything but a singleplayer title. The reason for this is that online gamers are less human and less intellectual than a computer programmed AI, no really. You don't see neutral factions in DayZ now do you? It's because computers can be taught that people don't just shoot on sight for fun, a concept gamers cannot understand. The best thing to hope for is that STALKER 2 is a co-op title.

Oh wait...the assholes said co-op is for carebears.

Edited by Virfortis

@Super67:

Yes all people who shoot someone in a game would have the exact same behavior in the real life situation. No, that stuff would happen but do not make a stupid broad statement like that. You sound like the people saying GTA made people commit violence.

What?

Maybe you should take a breather champ.

I'm just listing off reasons why people would kill another in some type of end of the world setting in an attempt to explain to you carebears why people are getting shot in game. I'm not making a statement about what these players would actually do in real life as I don't know them. People want your stuff, it's easier to take your stuff than to find it. No great mystery here. Maybe you guys have never read a history book and think the world has always been exactly as it is now. Maybe you guys think the whole world is as peaceful and prosperous as whatever country you reside in. And no you simpletons, it's not the laws that keep society in line, it's the comforts it affords it's citizens. Take away electricity and people will be eating each other in a months time.

You guys have fooled yourselves if you expect people to play nice in this setting.

What?

Maybe you should take a breather champ.

I'm just listing off reasons why people would kill another in some type of end of the world setting in an attempt to explain to you carebears why people are getting shot in game. I'm not making a statement about what these players would actually do in real life as I don't know them. People want your stuff, it's easier to take your stuff than to find it. No great mystery here. Maybe you guys have never read a history book and think the world has always been exactly as it is now. Maybe you guys think the whole world is as peaceful and prosperous as whatever country you reside in. And no you simpletons, it's not the laws that keep society in line, it's the comforts it affords it's citizens. Take away electricity and people will be eating each other in a months time.

You guys have fooled yourselves if you expect people to play nice in this setting.

I don't get mad sir, I am a gentleman. And I agree on most players being predatory. It has the most benefit. Yes most would break down into bandit type groups, also a lot of people would be more of a survival group but then they have to be extra cautious and protect themselves. I agree most would be bad but talking in absolutes is pointless. Oh also I am a solo/bandit type of person. I do not murder when it's pointless but if I feel someone is a threat or I need their food of course. Stop trying to be so insulting then act like people are jumping up your butt when you of course are reasonable and gentleman like.

Sir I know gentleman and you are not one.

• Like 1

DayZ is a first person deranged paranoid power fantasy for right wing shut-ins who would blow their own nuts off the moment they were handed a real firearm and probably already have done, shooter. J

ZZZzzzzzzzz... Nice try troll.

You guys do know this game is not a First Person Shooter, right? That might be why you're dying all the time. Everyone I've killed or messed with almost never saw me because they couldn't see around a wall, counter, tree, or bush. Maybe you guys should try to break out of that terrible perspective once in a while.

I've told you carebears how to survive again and again. Let me do it once more, LEAVE THE COAST.

I don't get mad sir, I am a gentleman. And I agree on most players being predatory. It has the most benefit. Yes most would break down into bandit type groups, also a lot of people would be more of a survival group but then they have to be extra cautious and protect themselves. I agree most would be bad but talking in absolutes is pointless. Oh also I am a solo/bandit type of person. I do not murder when it's pointless but if I feel someone is a threat or I need their food of course. Stop trying to be so insulting then act like people are jumping up your butt when you of course are reasonable and gentleman like.

Sir I know gentleman and you are not one.

lol. Beans for character.

I didn't say EVERYONE would do those things. I just said they would happen. If you don't think they would you should look at the world you live in. This type of thing happens daily in one form of the other.

If you keep telling them why not ignore these threads that irritate you and stop complaining about the complainers who complain. I am just going to harass you here until you get the message that there is no reason to be an a hole just to be an a hole.

I understand what you are saying. I get human behavior most people would stab each other in the back to preserve their own life. I find complaining threads annoying but when it just devolves it's pointless they will not bother listening anymore. You have to remember how many people play and that most times people don't listen to advice given or they are new.

Edited by D4saken1

Wrong.

Get to close to someones stash without announcing yourself, dead.

Sneak up on a group without announcing yourself, dead.

Pointing a gun at someone you just met, dead.

Coming across a starving person and you have a stash of food, dead.

Getting to close to someones base, dead.

You have far too much faith in humanity.

Underlined: Which is why people shoot on sight in game and would do it in real life as well.

Yeah, people were shooting themselves sometimes, but not everytime..I just wrote what the game was like for me, my experiences.And you wrote we would kill ourselves for something, for loot, food, water..IF we needed...And that what the game was like before, I remember getting killed because the guy was bleeding and he had no bandages. You are right about that. But now? Is it like you wrote? No. Its just a deathmatch, it doesnt matter if you have a gun or not, if the person needs something or doesnt..

Edited by Jimmy McNulty

the anger in this thread delivers and feeds on misinformation and anecdotal fearmongering

Edited by Sandy

Your talking out of your arse.

The thing about Armed Assault...y'know the 'game' that Day Z is based upon is that its not actually a game at all... Its a military simulator. Ergo Day Z and ARMA needn't have gameplay mechanics or balancing issues because the experience would not hold any realism otherwise...

...And that's what were all here for isn't it? A realistic survival experience.

Sure there are other games out there that fill the horror survival catagory better than Day Z. STALKER and Dead Island are both prime examples. Perhaps those games are likely to scratch the particular itch you are looking for from this genre.

I myself much prefer the realism. Knowing that every careless move, every rash action, mis-thought error can be my last. That's life. Thats survival. Its not fair... I might not even be fun to some people, but for me it envokes some primal emotions that games have simply failed to do in the passed couple of years. The only other game whose perma-death made me terrified of dying was EverQuest... back in 1998... But EVE is also the type of game that throws its power to the player base. Like those - Day Z teaches me more about our nature more than any other game has done where the environments are sanitised and 'fair'.

Doing HND Game Development myself, I consider Day Z to be as much of a game as I did Dear Esther. That is that I didn't - they were experiences I wanted, and was willing to part my money with. This hardcore survival isn't for everyone - hence the constant gripes on this forum from the kids that simply just don't get it.

Respect and my beans for the everquest reference ! Now there is a game for the hardcore fans. Shame EQ2 didnt follow the same roots. Although it is easily still the best mmo out there.

If you keep telling them why not ignore these threads that irritate you and stop complaining about the complainers who complain. I am just going to harass you here until you get the message that there is no reason to be an a hole just to be an a hole.

I understand what you are saying. I get human behavior most people would stab each other in the back to preserve their own life. I find complaining threads annoying but when it just devolves it's pointless they will not bother listening anymore. You have to remember how many people play and that most times people don't listen to advice given or they are new.

Go look at my history. I said the same thing last night and I'm not usually an asshole. But something about this particular thread made me wish for a zombie apocalypse.

Okay we are best friends now I have received beans.

BFF fo' life my brother.

Edited by Super67_

Stop hanging out in Cherno and Elektro and go explore, then die, then explore then die again. Everytime you die you will learn from your experience. Most geared people don't even hang in Cherno and Elektro unless they are going for medical supplies or they're going to kill people that hang in Cherno and Elektro.

Like after your first week or so of playing you don't fear Zombies as much anymore cause you learn to deal with them. People are what add the randomness and excitement.

Just the other day we are leaving from a crash site and see a group of 5 headed to a crash site fire fight ensues. Thats randomness, and excitment thats what makes it so good because your in a lull and then boom instant action.

TL&DR

Stop hanging around cherno and elektro. Get your supplies to survive you don't even need a gun just a Axe you'll find a gun at a deer stand or barn on your way up north. Most people starting out learning to play press their luck staying in Cherno and Elektro far to long.

Yeah, people were shooting themselves sometimes, but not everytime..I just wrote what the game was like for me, my experiences.And you wrote we would kill ourselves for something, for loot, food, water..IF we needed...And that what the game was like before, I remember getting killed because the guy was bleeding and he had no bandages. You are right about that. But now? Is it like you wrote? No. Its just a deathmatch, it doesnt matter if you have a gun or not, if the person needs something or doesnt..

I retreat. I think my dog dying has affected me more than I wanted to admit.

One thing, the server I play on isn't purely a deathmatch server. Plenty of other stuff going on outside of the noob traps.

OP can you direct me to the advertisements you are talking about which were misleading?

Or the "tin" which listed the features of the game you are referring to?

You can't, because those things don't exist. You're not talking about advertisements you read or a "feature list" that said this game was all about zombie survival. You're talking about your own personal preconceived notions that you cooked up when you read the name and saw the game had zombies in it. Your brain said "Oh, this must be XYZ," but your brain was wrong. That's your brain's fault, eh?

The first day I learned about DayZ I watched a few videos, read articles and every interview with rocket and you know what every single one said? Even the fluff pieces on gaming sites? It said "Be aware that PvP will play a central role in this game and you will find yourself dying to players as often as zombies."

That line was repeated in almost every piece of DayZ-related media I ever encountered and repeated by rocket himself.

So if you came into the mod expecting it to be focused solely on zombie survival with "maybe a little bit of PvP sometimes" then you have only yourself and your own preconceptions to blame. Nobody bait-and-switched you. Nobody lied to but your own expectations. That's not the game's fault and it's certainly not rocket's.

At the end of the day, only 16.5% of deaths are PvP related. So regardless of the clamor and clap on the forums, the game is clearly more than just PvP or a "deathmatch." Most people are dying to zombies or environmental hazards most of the time. Even if you allow 10% for bugs and glitches (which is probably high) then you still 75% of the player deaths to zombies. (These stats do not include respawns before you get your little reply fingers typing).

So it is about zombie survival. And so far people aren't proving too good at it, are they? 35 minute average life expectancy? You fancy yourselves survivors so get out there and get that fucking number up already. PvP isn't what is keeping it down.

Ultima Online and EVE are the only other two online games in history that have taken PvP seriously in a persistent world, and DayZ is the only one that has gone the step further of introducing permanent death. It is literally unique, and in just a few short months this unique approach has captured the attention of more players than SWTOR has managed to keep with hundreds of millions in advertising dollars. That's something amazing. And it's not all about the zombies. If it were, we would all be playing Dead Island or Left 4 Dead. Instead, we're playing DayZ. Why? Is it the glitches and bugs keeping us interested? The odd zombies with their ability to attack through walls?

No. It's the intensity. The emotion. The stress and the heart-pounding moments that result from interactions with other players in the game. All of which are uncertain and some of which are horribly violent.

If DayZ didn't have unrestricted PvP it would just be another zombie knock-off. It would have absolutely nothing special or new to offer that hasn't been done before and it would fall flat on its face in the dirt before it ever got off the ground.

With all due respect, you're putting too much faith in a mod. DayZ has everything going against it for the true survival gameplay.

With all due respect, which is exactly zero, I have never seen you make a post in these forums that wasn't tearing down the game or whining about its features, and doing so in a completely insubstantial way. I might be able to entertain your presence if the things you said were in any way connected to reality and not just some fevered forum fantasy you have been bandying about for weeks (or has it been months now)?

Ever since the bandit skin was removed and you insisted the game was going to devolve into an all-out deathmatch you haven't shut your yap about it.

Yet, fewer bandits are in the game now as a percentage of the population. Murder rates are down, and PvP deaths as a percentage of total are falling.

Your complaints are vacuous, vapid and unconstructive. Why are you even still here?

Pick your ass up and go play a different game already.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 7

I love it

PvP butthurt thread gets 46, largely assenting, responses in two hours

then ZDB puts the whingers in their place

and though none can rebut him, noone has to decency to admit their mistake or thank him for his wisdom

kudos on trying ZDB, your patient perseverance does you credit

Edited by Sandy

Tell me, do you think the game would be fun at all without that sniper?

Absolutely.

If that sniper had to actually approach his target and engage him in cqb, it would be far superior. Then the sniper would actually be at risk too. Risk from being detected by his target. Risk from drawing zed aggro when he opens up.

There is little risk from sniping from a bush hundreds of meters away and well outside zed aggro.

And if that bandit could potentially destroy the equipment his target is carrying with each shot, well now the bandit faces a more difficult decision doesn't he? Similar to the difficult decisions survivors face themselves all the time: To shoot or not to shoot. Perhaps it makes more sense to try and rob his target, or trick him out of his gear.

There is no question that pvp needs to remain a central pillar in the mod. I would have zero interest in playing this mod without non-consensual pvp or if it has safe zones.

It's the TYPE of pvp, and what you risk by instigating it or not, that will make the mod something special... or not.

Edited by jonahcutter