Sign in to follow this  
TDR Rag

What about Dayz dev abuse?

Hello! So I'm wondering how is it possible for dayz devs to order a server to be shut down permanently, to effectively make server owners lose their server? Who gave them the right if they even have it? Let's assume they have the right to or at least the capacity to. Whoever told them they should use it? What about pussy-hosts letting them decide which server can or cannot exist? I'm really confused right now. If someone came to my house that I paid for and told me I had no right to live in it, I'd probably shot him or at least bust his knees with a bat.

Umm, nobody is losing servers.

They are losing the ability to host DayZ.

So a better analogy would be that I loaned you a ping-pong table with the understanding that you would rent a space and hold a ping-pong tournament and instead you try to hold a beer pong tournmanet so I take the table back. You're not losing anything. It's my table and you used it in a way that broke our agreement so you don't get to have it anymore.

• Like 3

If you were sold that house, for example, under the stricture that you not operate a crack den, and the local authoriries found out you were, in fact, running a crack den... When they're given the license to host the server, they need to make sure they stick to the T&C. It's always been that way in every game, though most publishers are lazy and only pretend to care. The Dayz team actually seems dedicated, which is a welcome change.

Its stated on these forums somewhere when it comes to actually hosting a server you dont become an all mighty admin. Your job/role is to keep the server up to date and help the community grow with different community members/clans hosting a server. Its also stated that if you break the rules that were stated they have the right to blacklist that server. If you or your friends did not follow the rules that were given then its your own fault.

Admin/Host abuse = Server shutdown

How it should be.

"BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING THE SERVER

- NO EDITING DAYZ/MISSION FILES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

-BATTLEYE MUST BE ENABLED

- Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; dayzmatt@gmail.com"

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1251-want-to-host-a-dayz-server-read-in-here/

Edited by iPlumbum

Hello! So I'm wondering how is it possible for dayz devs to order a server to be shut down permanently, to effectively make server owners lose their server? Who gave them the right if they even have it? Let's assume they have the right to or at least the capacity to. Whoever told them they should use it? What about pussy-hosts letting them decide which server can or cannot exist? I'm really confused right now. If someone came to my house that I paid for and told me I had no right to live in it, I'd probably shot him or at least bust his knees with a bat.

There's a set of rules laid out for server-owners to follow. Those are in place to keep the gameplay up for everybody equally and prevent things like boosting (by locking the server down), cheating (by deactivating BattlEye) and unfair behaviour to other players (admins kicking players that killed any admin and/or the admin's friends/clan-mates). Those rules should be public to them and as such do count.

If the server-owners don't follow the rules, then that's their problem. The DayZ dev-team laid those out and expects server-owners to follow them. Break the rules? Server gets blacklisted. That's how it goes.

I don't get it. What really happened? There's a cause to this outrage and I'm going to assume that you or someone you know was hacking on their own.server.

I don't get it. What really happened?

My guess is he's part of a clan that was probably trying to run a private server and password lock or kick/ban anyone who played on it not in the clan. They probably got blacklisted from the hive and now they're all up-in-arms about it.

Just speculating. I'm sure OP can correct me if I'm wrong.

"Day Z Dev Abuse" is an oxymoron. It's their game to treat however they want, and if you don't like it, you can go play a different one.

This person is most likely talking about the one case where one of the DayZ staff called a server rental service provider and had their server entirely revoked.

The reasoning was that if they just black listed the server from the dayz hive, they would end up somehow black listing other servers using the same name / ip whatever in the future... so instead they called the service provider and explained the situation, and a person had his PAID server rental agreement revoked.

This person is most likely talking about the one case where one of the DayZ staff called a server rental service provider and had their server entirely revoked.

The reasoning was that if they just black listed the server from the dayz hive, they would end up somehow black listing other servers using the same name / ip whatever in the future... so instead they called the service provider and explained the situation, and a person had his PAID server rental agreement revoked.

Not his fault. Dude signed a ToU stating that his server access could be revoked without refund for violating the Day Z server hosting guidelines. All rocket and co. did was give the server hoster a courtesy call before negatively impacting their business and allowing them time to take care of the problem themselves; they didn't force anybody to do anything, and if mr. incoherent angry rage up there has a problem with anyone over that, it should be with the server hosting company.

Not that anyone here gives a flying can who he has a problem with, anyway. Dude needs to punch a pillow or see a therapist or something.

Edited by Techercizer

Actually you are mistaken at the part they just gave a courtesy call before negatively impacting their business.

When a person uses a server rental service provider, they get a server for their use with the services installed they require.

This person installed the server application of DayZ on his rented server.

If DayZ team wants to revoke the use of their mod on that server, then they are completely free to do so within the confounds of their end user agreement. Meaning they are allowed to block their server from their databases.

However, DayZ team should have and don't have any power over the server itself and the service the person bought from the service provider. That's between them and is a different user agreement.

The way this went down was that the dayz dev went outside and beyond their own user agreement, and stepped in between something that was between the renter and the renting service provider, nothing to do with DayZ, and busted an agreement between them.

It's the same as if you rented a race car, and then you went to the race track to do a few laps. You drive in the wrong direction on the track and the track owner calls the rental service instead of throwing you out, and tells the rental service guy you're a jackass. The rental service guy then takes your car away even though you had paid for a full week.

So instead of getting thrown out of the track for driving wrong, you lose your entire car and you can't drive anywhere anymore. Just as the guy lost his entire server and cant use it for anything anymore. Not just DayZ.

Edited by Daddy'o

Youre renting a House.

You are told you are not allowed to lock your house.

Burglars come into your house, rob and murder you.

You are dead.

Edited by SKuDD3r

The way this went down was that the dayz dev went outside and beyond their own user agreement, and stepped in between something that was between the renter and the renting service provider, nothing to do with DayZ, and busted an agreement between them.

So what you're saying is the entity who decided to revoke the server was actually the hosting service and not the DayZ dev team?

If what you say is true then the dev team couldn't possibly have been responsible. They made a request which the host saw fit to fufill. Obviously they would not have done so if they thought it was not a justifiable request or that it would negatively impact their business.

It's encouraging to know that server hosts are cooperative with the dev team and willing to take measures to put an end to whatever it was going on that required such an egregious intervention.

Yeah, your whole race car analogy aside, that's exactly what I said. Rocket didn't shut down anyone's server, he called the hosting company and let them know he would be blacklisting their IP if the problem wasn't resolved. The server hosting company terminated the server, as the person who purchased their hosting agreed they could when he signed up for it, and the problem was resolved.

Your whole post was basically a rehash of mine. I don't see how I'm "mistaken".

Edited by Techercizer

Oh sorry then I just misunderstood your meaning. I take that statement back.

And yes you are both correct on the point that the DayZ team didn't revoke his server, but they still got it revoked. The ultimate responsibility however does lie with the server rental service provider.

And as far as I know the server renter did nothing against the user agreement he signed in order to receive the server, while I'm sure the service provider does retain the right to negate service agreements on their whim.

Juridically I'm sure nothing was broken, but really though, it does seem like the guy got shit handed to him from 2 sources while only deserving one hand full.

I'm not standing behind anyone on this one though personally, I can see the validity of this course of action as well as the ass-hattery on all sides of this.

Tried and failed to find the thread discussing this incident, but I remember the server hoster having a ToU that stated violating Day Z hosting guidelines was subject to service termination without refund. Since I can't bring up anything to support that though, I guess I'll just have to leave it as my opinion.

Given that the servers must connect to the hive to access the developer data for dayz players, it's fully within the dev team's rights to lock out and shut down any server that refuses to adhere to certain rules; rules like battleye compatibility, public access, and server specs. How is it unfair to shut down a server that's facilitating hackers or allowing clans to horde all the vehicles?

Volate the terms of use and you lose your server. Nothing unreasonable or unfair about that.

op, can you show us on the doll where the dayz team touched you?

Edited by Alex988

You indeed have to see the access to the Hive as the service you "sign-up" for. If a renter of a server breaks the rules the GSP has the risk of their entire server being blacklisted and I'm going to assume they make the rules clear to people ordering a server pre-order.

When a server gets blacklisted in theory the server still runs, it just never receives any data related to characters.

TDR Rag,

The problem is that you don't have a contract (a legally enforceable agreement) with the DayZ dev team. I, too, have pondered the fairness of the power that they have. And, given that they make it quite clear in their terms of use that they can blacklist a server for any number of reasons, you can't even make a claim under promissory estoppel.

Unfortunately, you either have to play by their rules or lose your money. You don't have any legal claim against them.

Im not saying that OP broke any rules but i DO love it when people who break the rules/law then try and hide behind them. Like a guy who robs someone then as they're getting arrested start screaming about their rights being violated. Idiots

Locking the server so only a handful of friendly players or clan members can run around collecting all the best vehicles and equipment before unlocking the server to everyone else is cheating. I don't see it all the differently than a player signing on with hacked files such that his weapon never misses or destroys whatever it hits with one round. Most of us need to be extremely careful when going to locations where the 'good stuff' is located because of the likely presence of others who will kill you on sight. Locking out that threat is no different in my eyes that using a hacked file. You are cheating by doing it.

I understand that by hosting a server you are putting your own money into it. However, this is like becoming a franchise, a DayZ franchise. When you do so, there are certain standards you have to maintain or risk losing it. Why? It's very simple, without maintaining the standards you're damaging the product, the brand name. Imagine going to a McDonalds and asking for a Big Mac and being told there weren't any left. Then you come to find out the reason they're all gone is that the store was locked for two hours that morning and the employees ate them all. That's what's happening here.

If McDonalds got wind that a Franchise bearing its name was receiving numerous complaints of this nature, they would shut that Franchise down eventually for damaging it's brand name, it's image.

Its stated on these forums somewhere when it comes to actually hosting a server you dont become an all mighty admin. Your job/role is to keep the server up to date and help the community grow with different community members/clans hosting a server. Its also stated that if you break the rules that were stated they have the right to blacklist that server. If you or your friends did not follow the rules that were given then its your own fault.

Admin/Host abuse = Server shutdown

How it should be.

"BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING THE SERVER

- NO EDITING DAYZ/MISSION FILES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

-BATTLEYE MUST BE ENABLED

- Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; dayzmatt@gmail.com"

http://dayzmod.com/f...r-read-in-here/

I dont host a server, I'm just wondering.

I don't get it. What really happened? There's a cause to this outrage and I'm going to assume that you or someone you know was hacking on their own.server.

try harder, son. Edited by TDR Rag