ostrich160

how to make DayZ run better

Hi guys, Ive just got DayZ running on my Macbook pro (early 2011 i5, using windows) and its running really slowly. I obviously turned my graphics down to very low, but its still very slow. Is there any other way I can make it run faster, I don't care if it involves turning down the graphics more or something, anything to make it run faster?

Thanks

Turn post processing off, did the trick for my hunk of crap PC :P

• Like 1

Thanks, but how do you do that? I already went into video options and advanced settings, but post processing effects was already disabled. Am I doing it wrong? Or is there any other ways to make it run smoothly, Ive already turned down the texture details, ect..., but still badly running?

I tried running it on very low at first and it wasn't very good. I saw another post on the DayZ reddit that suggested setting 3d resolution to 100% and video memory to 'default'. I forgot why it helps, but now mine looks better and runs smoother, so it may help you too.

I got a pretty old notebook (3 years) and it runs...not smooth but it runs. And it does actually make no difference at all wether i put my resolution to low or high. As far as i know the main problem with the bad performance of DayZ are the calculations sent from the server regarding the zombie-ai. They are all made on your local machine instead of the server. So the most stressed part of your machine might be the processor.

Maybe you do not have dedicated graphics card. In that case, you are lucky it is running at all.

I have an i5 processor so thats fine, but no I don't have a dedicated card, I can't do to using a mac :(

Heres the problem which I have come to the conclusion there is no fix. The graphics card they put on the macbook pro is a decent graphics card for just doing chores on the computer BUT its a TERRIBLE gaming graphics card. If you try to run DayZ on chernarus the best I've ever gotten was 15 FPS out of cities and 5 in. Now the main problem is since the motherboard is all one unit there is no replacement for the graphics card. So if you don't have enough money for a gaming PC heres the only thing you can do. I just avoid chernarus in all since I lag so bad but if you really want to play you get pretty good FPS out in the wilderness just not in towns. ALTHOUGH the best solution is not to play on a map with so much to load since your graphics card will just crap out. I can usually play on Namalsk with OK FPS, but the best map is Takistan and desert maps like it. I ussually get 20-40 FPS just walking around. So if you don't have the money to get a new PC then this is the only thing you can do.

Unfortunately DayZ is for custom pcs. Any MacBook or PC world special isn't going to cut it.

It's not just the cpu that tanks animating 20 zeds with complicated skeletons, the loading of the map and its assets is not cached. This means every item is pulled off the hard drive. 2 identical houses in same town? 2 separate loads of the same asset.

If you want the mod to run well and look pretty then 3rd gen i5 and gtx660 are minimum specs. An SSD also helps.

However even with a monster pc Cherno and Elektro are still going to give you 20 fps at times. As for Sabina, even ramdisk doesn't help that place.

Edited by tehfapper