Sign in to follow this  
DerekTen

Why do people stay on recruit servers and kill new players?

Been playing for about a week now and it is extremely frustrating to get a decent setup to where I can actually get out of town but then I'll get sniped as I'm leaving by someone that was most likely watching me the entire time I was in town. It's people like this that create hostility, because now every new player that this happens to just wants to kill the first person they run in to. Can anyone give me any tips to avoiding people who do this?

• Like 1

Hey,

I'm always looking to help. I'm new myself. If you'd like I can team up with you, I play dayz with a friend of mine so he'll join too. If you're interested, pm me your steam id/Skype details.

Tip wise:

I stick on servers with 4 players or below. Try a lower player count.

The funny thing is the most recent one happened on a server of 6.

Recruit servers are not specifically intended for newer players. The difficulty of the servers denote which features are available. For example, recruit servers generally enable third person , crosshairs and peripheral vision, features that may be absent on expert servers.

That being said, if you want to avoid being killed by other players you should familiarize yourself with the map and avoid locations that are known hotspots for player activity, like the cities of Cherno and Elektro. However, keep in mind that player interaction makes for a better DayZ experience so staying on lower population servers may get dull after awhile.

Been playing for about a week now and it is extremely frustrating to get a decent setup to where I can actually get out of town but then I'll get sniped as I'm leaving by someone that was most likely watching me the entire time I was in town. It's people like this that create hostility, because now every new player that this happens to just wants to kill the first person they run in to. Can anyone give me any tips to avoiding people who do this?

More and more griefers and snipers doesn't care about the fact that this is a zombie apocalypse. They're aren't into immersion or making friends, they're just out to have fun and joy creating mistrust amongst other players.

Edited by leeo38

Part of the issue is that once you are well geared, there is not a lot that the game offers in regards to challenge. There are players who are happy living up north, who see how long they can survive off the land, or those who have other RP goals. There are some who like to establish campsites, stockpile weapons, gear, and vehicles. But as far as I have seen, both groups are in the minority, and they will get bored like anyone else.

Most people, though. see little else to do once their equipped and turn eventually to the one constant challenge: other people.

• Like 1

The only advice i can give is is:

Get used to it.. its gonna happen, enjoy getting your gear, don't get mad when you loose it, it happens to everyone.

Move slow and carefully in cover.. run like the wind when no cover is about.. leaving town all geared up is the most dangerous time.. and probably the most enjoyable too for the same reason.

Just enjoy the challenge.. people will shoot you.

Many people suck that's why. Mad tommy has probably the best advice. Leaving town you need to find the area closest to the woods or an area that has many hills, use terrian to stay out of sight as much as possible. Remember snipers like the tall hills to hide on so don't run towards them zig zag when running to screw up there shot. If you hear a shot keep running, do not go prone or crouch that just offers a better target. zig zag more and head to cover as fast as possible

I had this same problem when I started playing. Eventually I learned that the best strat for survival is to head north asap, forget about raiding the nearest building, forget about everythig just get north and then if you want to raid Electro for the meds and supplies come in from the north where most people won't be watching. I found that hitting the smaller towns gave me the food and drink I needed, the deer stands gave me the weapons, and supermarkets gave me the backpacks and tents I needed.

Like everyone else I came across other players, some shouted out friendly and went on their way, others just opened fire. I kill anyone who crosses my path now as I've learned the hard way not to trust anyone I don't know, but if they aren't in my way, if they are just in the distance doing their own thing I leave them be or I run, yes I run away from other people, cowardly? Yes but I survive.

That being said, if you want to avoid being killed by other players you should familiarize yourself with the map and avoid locations that are known hotspots for player activity, like the cities of Cherno and Elektro. However, keep in mind that player interaction makes for a better DayZ experience so staying on lower population servers may get dull after awhile.

This. And as others have said, people will be people. Some prefer playing by the book while others get a kick out of watching you die. You can stay clear of the bigger cities for as long as you'd like but you're bound to run into a player sooner or later. Just try not to be too bothered by it if you get killed, no matter what you're carrying.

The advice about going to less populated servers is useful, but even more so, play on veteran servers.

The people killing other players on recruit servers are the shittiest players. They need name tags on so they can spot you through terrain, and ranges so they can easily zero their sniper rifles.

The pkers on vet servers are more dangerous, but there are fewer of them that have the actual skill to find and kill you.

It's my belief that the game should require all settings off.

No name tags.

No cross hairs.

No third person.

Player killing will be more tolerable when the crutches are knocked out from under the weaker "pvp" players.

The advice about going to less populated servers is useful, but even more so, play on veteran servers.

The people killing other players on recruit servers are the shittiest players. They need name tags on so they can spot you through terrain, and ranges so they can easily zero their sniper rifles.

The pkers on vet servers are more dangerous, but there are fewer of them that have the actual skill to find and kill you.

It's my belief that the game should require all settings off.

No name tags.

No cross hairs.

No third person.

Player killing will be more tolerable when the crutches are knocked out from under the weaker "pvp" players.

I don't know, I don't find 3rd person to be a crutch as much as a preference. Sure, it gives you a wider field of vision, but that's about it. The camera isn't far back enough to see anybody sneaking up on you (unless they're trying to ninja loot your pack, which would be absolutely stupid anyway). I play on both 3rd person enabled and 3rd person disabled servers, because I enjoy a bit of both - sometimes I get tired of the claustrophobic feel of 1st person, and sometimes I get tired of folks scoping me out over an eight foot brick wall with 3rd person. So I just alternate.

I do agree with crosshairs and nametags, though. I've noticed that, nine times out of ten, if a player can't scout you out by scanning a ridge for a nametag, or kill you without having to use his sights, he's completely unable to do anything to you. It's kind of hilarious how many people will play a milsim that can't utilize any urban warfare tactics at all. I do think that tags should be left on at like, one foot, though. It's nice to know which of my team mates I'm looking at, and it'd be damned challenging to abuse a 1-5 foot tag radius.

Oh, here's a good question: servers that are veteran but leave 3rd person, crosshairs, and nametags on. What in the hell makes them veteran? Do you take more damage from NPCs/gunshots? What's up?

Cherno and elektro are high risk areas, because every loot type is within reach. It's a good thing it's not as easy as running in and running out.