Sign in to follow this  
L33tmoaf

Ghillie suits are overrated

Just killed two bandits in ghillie suits on two seperate occasions: one tried to hide in the brushes from me and another one tried to ambush snipe me (I can see your body outline in the grass). IMO ghillies are ineffective and are only for style. Also knowing this is alpha and character wipes are the norm, once my character meets his end, I'll wait til beta to wear them again. So yeah just move your character in a bush or next to a pine tree if you want to hide from players.

Just killed two bandits in ghillie suits on two seperate occasions: one tried to hide in the brushes from me and another one tried to ambush snipe me (I can see your body outline in the grass). IMO ghillies are ineffective and are only for style. Also knowing this is alpha and character wipes are the norm, once my character meets his end, I'll wait til beta to wear them again. So yeah just move your character in a bush or next to a pine tree if you want to hide from players.

the biggest giveaway are backpacks so I like that ghillie removes it

Ghillie suits are definately harder to spot in closer combats, I kill so many people whos just infront of me without even realizing im there...

But like u say, from a distance it's easy to spot because u stand out on the grass terrain... but still harder to spot than civilian skin...

I love Ghillie suits:P

If you know what your doing you can make extremely good use of them. And they offer better cover than civilian clothes. They are not by any means overrated.

It's amusing how grass is only an obstacle to the person 'hiding' in it.

At about 200-300 meters grass disappears completely and anyone proning in a field might as well throw a red smoke grenade.

Ghillie suits are definately harder to spot in closer combats

Yea outside in the field but at the same time like what TheMachine said, 200-300m the grass disapears and any person holding a rifle can visually snipe them via iron sights or scope.

the biggest giveaway are backpacks so I like that ghillie removes it

Exactly. This is the biggest advantage to wearing a ghillie suit. Sure, they aren't modeled the best, and there are flaws... but if you know how to properly hide your silhouette, and you're far enough away.. you can pretty much go sight unseen. Some people think that just because they have a ghillie suit, they can just hit prone in the middle of a grassy field and be completely hidden. Doesn't work that way. You need objects that further break up your players body lines. One time, I got lucky in the very early stages, and I found a ghillie suit in the cherno apartments. I decided to goof around and hide in high traffic areas trying to pop out and surprise people with a hatchet. True story: I went to balota, behind the ATC tower in the woods. I went prone under some evergreens that were surrounded by heavy foliage. I had a player walk within 10 meters of me, and never notice me. Absolutely scared the shit out of me since he was approaching from the north, in the forest behind me. He almost stepped on me, and I'm not exaggerating. So, I did what any respectful gamer would do. I start playing Chewbecca sound-board clips over direct voice, and chasing him with a hatchet. He ran into one of the hangers and alt f4'd. It was absolutely hilarious.

Point being: If you know how to use a ghillie suit properly, and people don't look under every tree, they are very effective. Especially if it's dawn/dusk. They could be modeled a little bit better, for example: Give them the old gloves the bandit skin used to have, and make the boots green instead of gray/black. But like I said, the biggest thing to remember is it hides your backpack, and I can spot a person prone in a field from hundreds of meters away just by seeing their backpack sticking up.

My friend and I had both found ghillie suits and we would constantly lose sight of each other when traveling through the woods or grass. Was pretty impressive. Once they get fixed I'll be sure to put another one on.

Ghillie suits, properly used, are one of the deadliest objects in the game. Unparalleled close quarter camo, good at long range if used with surrounding cover.

If it buys you half a second as your adversary stops to consider shooting the bush or not, it's done it's job.

I play regular Arma alot and ghillie suits do make a difference!!