Sign in to follow this  
Bat (DayZ)

a radio channel as a "reward" for positive humanity ?

I don't really like the concept of "bandit/survivor" because it is too much a black and white feature. But it could remain in a subtle and more obscure way. In the way players communicate with each other.

Let's say we just get rid of the global chat system. The only channel available would be a direct one, used in direct encounters.

Then we add a radio item, which would be a tool like compass or a map. Just turn it on and you will be able to switch between 2 channels :

A Global channel and a "Help" channel.

Global channel is just like the old one. When you feel lonely and lost you can just tune in and discuss with random players. Maybe give general informations about what's happening in the world.

"Help" channel would be avaible only to players with positive humanity. It is a tool that players will use to team up, require help, or whatever. Players formerly known as bandits wouldn't have access to this channel, so survivors know they can give their position without too much worries.

Now we need to think of all the implications of that system, and how to implement that radio item in the world. what do you think?

I like the idea of a radio.

I wouldn't like it that only high humanity players get their own channel, should be bandits get their own too

I would like it to have a number of different channels so people can talk to those in the same channel and people can eavesdrop when they scan channels. And MAYBE have some rare encrypted radio channels

radio idea is a must have for this mod ! there are several suggestions out there including an radio and we do know that bandits need a penality, because there are too much out there ( way too unrealistic )

I wouldn't like it that only high humanity players get their own channel' date=' should be bandits get their own too

[/quote']

Sure, but I thought that bandits woudn't have any use of such a channel, because they don't want to reveal their position even to other bandits.

I would like it to have a number of different channels so people can talk to those in the same channel and people can eavesdrop when they scan channels. And MAYBE have some rare encrypted radio channels have some rare encrypted radio channels

Something like that would be cool too, but I can't come up with a way to implement it in the game, gameplay wise. How do you change frequencies for instance? At least the 2 channels thing gives a little more depth to communication between survivors, allowing them to avoid gunfight from time to time.

Use the search function at the top of the page and look for "ACRE" to read how this could work but don't hold your breath... It might come eventually but probably not in the next patch or anything.

I think it should be tested with the basic text chat of arma, first. Direct channel available for everyone from the beginning. Side chat available only when you find a radio, and group chat for survivors-to-survivors, and bandits-to-bandits.

But having the spatialisation effect, and sound processing to emulate radio sound would be cool for immersion. might see that in the beta :)

ACRE is a great add on but it can be unreliable with patches every week fixing than breaking the mod. Trust me I came from United Operations, a pure ACE and ACRE community. It could work out, as well with the ACE direct chat is beautiful as well, i think it works beautifully!!