Wulfsok

Very Hostile Playerbase

I said if your goal is to survive. Doing something "repeatedly" implies dying over and over again. In that case your goal is not survival. It's "getting a bunch of stuff."

If just "getting shit" is your goal and you don't mind dying 45 times in the process, then yes. Fine. Run into Cherno ringing a fucking dinner bell and hope to get lucky offing some bored, geared-up choad smoker who probably duped the gear you're about to loot.

That's not survival, though. That's just getting loot. Congratulations on dying 50 times and now you have a decent gun so your 51st death maybe takes a little longer.

In the mean time I haven't died once and probably have comparable gear.

So which one of us has been more successful?

That depends on your measure for success obviously.

There is no measurement of succes other than surviving Alpha. Dying 3 million times to have the same loot as someone sitting in the woods and never dying is the same in terms of success. Neither have achieved anything other than spending time with the DayZ Alpha.

Edited by Electrolyte

So... Has anyone ever met someone ingame and didn't get betrayed?

i did

and now we kill everything that lives 8)

• Like 1

There is no measurement of succes other than surviving Alpha. Dying 3 million times to have the same loot as someone sitting in the woods and never dying is the same in terms of success. Neither have achieved anything other than spending time with the DayZ Alpha.

Okay? If just "not quitting" is your only measure of success then you can pretty much just stand there doing fucking nothing and succeed.

I would hope you would set higher standards for yourself than that.

But, to be fair, you don't have to. That can be your goal if that's what you want. That's the true beauty of DayZ. Nobody tells you what "winning" means. You are the personal arbiter what measures of success you use. If being here at the end of Alpha is all you really care about, then that's your personal decision and your personal goal.

I like to set myself to a higher standard - to actually try and test myself and achieve something. I'll be here at the end of Alpha, yes. But I'll also have a 60+ day survival w/ 2k zombie kills under my belt by then.

Will you?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

Do not ever go towards far North past the airfields. Try and stay in the mid central towns that are less populated. The Northern Edge of the maps is usually the areas where most people hide their vehicles/tents, which also means they will likely have Sentries guarding their tents/vehicles during peak hours, which means that they will come geared to the teeth.

• Like 1

which means that they will come geared to the teeth.

and so will I, so...will...I

But I'll also have a 60+ day survival w/ 2k zombie kills under my belt by then.

Will you?

You need to stop being so arrogant thinking your game goals are better than everyone elses. To me 2k zombie kills is a huge waste of ammo, smarter to sneak past them and 60+ days is easily accomplished by living in the woods and never going near a town, or just not logging in at all.

Personally I find bandit kills and vehicles scrapped more noteworthy achievements, but I'm not about to chastise people that don't share that belief.

• Like 1

Hostile player base? Really? In a zombie apocalypse? Who'd have thought.... Should we all just hold hands, share beans and sing songs round the campfire? Go on... I dare you to light that camp fire... If the zeds don't get you... the bandits will ;-)

That depends on your measure for success obviously.

The thing is, this game really does not tell you what the goal in the game is.. Or, well, frankly, I guess it does say that it is to "survive"... But it really does not show up in the actual game all that much. Its shown only briefly when you log in. At the same time the murder counts, etc. are constantly visible on the screen. Can't blame some people who don't think the survival is really the key point in the game.

So.. I guess its a sandbox... You choose your own metric for success.

- Some people choose the survival time. They go with the initial setting presented by the game.

- Some people choose the murder count. They are the mass murderer bandits.

- Some people choose the bandit kill count. They choose to be the ones who fight for the justice.

- Some people choose the loot and vehicles. Its obviously the most tangible thing presented by the game and means for the other goals.

- Some people choose the zed kill count. Its the only thing you can really use your weapons for, if you don't want to shoot the other players.

- Some might fail to see any point in the game. They probably won't stay with it for very long.

- And some just go for some totally different creative goals.

I've certainly tried many of these, with varying success.

The actual goal itself is rather boring usually, just some number somewhere (the only exception being the loot). So in the end, the most fun offered by the game is never actually reaching that goal (which really usually cannot even be reached... There is no predetermined amount of days that you must survive to have "succeeded"). The most memorable fun comes from all the different - usually totally unique - situations that are presented to the player while he/she is trying to reach the so-called goal. And these situations are generally the encounters with the other people in the game. Some good. Some bad.

It's not about the ultimate goal... In DayZ, everyone fails, everyone gets killed eventually. Its all about that interesting stuff that goes on, trying to reach that unreachable goal.

And that is why I'm taking some risks.. If I see a player, if I'm not out to shoot him, I might try to carefully get into contact with him... I might lose all my gear by doing so, should it end up badly (like it sometimes does), but you never know... And that's what makes it so interesting. I likely won't succeed in the "ultimate goal", whatever it is, but does that really matter anyway.

PS. I have no idea what all of this had to do with the original subject. Nothing, I guess... Here, have some :beans: to *nom nom* before you decide to flame me for totally wasting your time with this post.

• Like 1

Finally got a character that survived for a few days, all the tools I needed (Axe, matches, compass/map, knife water bottle etc.), got an Enfield and m1911 with plenty of ammo for each.

few days and you had the gear that i and many can get in 1h on average? no wonder you are feeling attached to your character. play more, and losing a guy like that won't even phase you.

Edited by Ganjastar
  • Like 1

Do not ever go towards far North past the airfields. Try and stay in the mid central towns that are less populated. The Northern Edge of the maps is usually the areas where most people hide their vehicles/tents, which also means they will likely have Sentries guarding their tents/vehicles during peak hours, which means that they will come geared to the teeth.

Good call!

lastMeme5.jpg

So? It made for a good cigarette break.

few days and you had the gear that i and many can get in 1h on average? no wonder you are feeling attached to your character. play more, and losing a guy like that won't even phase you.

What you said was realised. I'm more attached to my .50 now than the .303.

It's fun to snipe snipers at Stary Sobor.