Sign in to follow this  
karlito

Radio tool

A feature where all messaging between people is limited, until you gain a radio transmitter to communicate with others at longer ranges

direct communication should allways be open.

Diffrent radio frequencies perhaps? tuning into other people's chats, etc etc.

To create immersion and remove that annoying atmosphere people create by talking in blue side channel all day. Some people crave for attention too much, they should have to earn it.

And for others that do not want to see these chats at all, to have an option to never get a radio.

I think it would add an interesting and tactical advantage/disadvantage to those who have these radios.

i always imagined i would use a radio to create distractions, like somehow remotely turning it on after strategically placing it on the other side of town, it'd be preety damn loud so all zed's would run for the sound leaving you free to quickly loot the town before the batteries died etc.

I saw a topic about some player supposedly finding a "radio" already ingame giving off sounds like radio numbering then another guy claiming these numbers were coordinates to hunting towers, however believable that may be it led me to the idea that you should be able to broadcast a position or message (which would mark itself on your map providing you have one) so that survivors can group up easily. It could also be used by bandits as a sort of ambush aswell you gotta be carefull.

It sure would be nice to have direct communication with someone in game at a distance "privately" though as not everyone uses vent or skype or teamspeak when playing.

I like the idea that when you find a radio that you can talk to people in a larger area, that's just like real life if this happens.

Would be good fun, but might be hard to implement ? We could say that after acquiring the item "radio" (would be like a compass or box of matches), you can turn it on or off from the scroll menu. Once it is on, you can hear people talking on the global channel and talk too?

Not sure how a radio works IRL ahah so you should think about all the details and gameplay implications, but yeah would be fun :)

Having something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service , and just have 10 channels (some have more, but do we really need that many?). They have a max range of about 5 miles. Anyone can tune in, so that's the catch, but would be cool to implement. The fact that almost everyone uses TS or vent though... But these are plentiful and need batteries, which could be a new resource to scavenge/fight over!

Good thing, everyone in the thread seems to get the idea.

It's supposed to be a valuable resource, you shouldn't be entitled to having an in-game chat.

You should have to earn the right to communicate with others! Chat-wise that is.

that would incredibly increase the immersion of this game !

/sign this

actually by default thats how arma works... you cant use the sidechat until you have a radio item in the inventory, just the direct chat

imho this should be the same... or move maybe a bit towards acre (its an awsome ts3 radio addon for arma) style system with frequencies, relay towers etc.