My primary complaint with the crossbow is the lack of any kind of sights. I would use it except for the fact I have no clue of exactly where the bolt is going to go. I'd also be willing to lose the bolt recovery option if bolts were in packs of 4 or 5.

I completely agree with OP. Crossbow needs a reddot scope for sure. And finding a single bolt in a barn every hour or so makes it pretty useless. For the sake of the weapon having any use whatsoever, I think you should find 'quivers' of bolts. Would work with Arma2 'clip mechanics', and the new Day Z 'clip combining mechanics'. I'd say 5-6 bolts per quiver, or whatever they retail as, which I believe is usually 6. Quiver would take up one slot in inventory, I would imagine.

I agree the crossbow needs work. I think there was already one in the base game' date=' and so it's not like it was designed to be bad by rocket. Modifying it much might require a lot of work.

The way I see it, every weapon in DayZ exists on some scale from Survivor to Bandit. Bandit weapons tend to be better at killing players, and typically have longer range, higher rates of fire, that sort of thing. Survivor weapons are quieter, shorter ranged, and have more plentiful ammo. A weapon that's useful for surviving against zombies, is going to be less effective against players.

Take for example the CZ. It's your entry level bandit weapon. It's ridiculously loud and very difficult to use close up, making it absolutely terrible for disposing of zombies. On the other hand, you can take out other players long before they can even see you.

The winchester is sort of in between. It has good range and accuracy, it's reasonably quiet, and the ammunition is abundant. It's not TERRIBLY effective against players, but you could defend yourself against bandits with it if you needed to.

I think the crossbow is probably the ideal Pure Survivor weapon. It's quiet vs zombies, the ammunition is recoverable, and it does a reasonable amount of damage. Coupled with a good sidearm for when SHTF, a box of matches and a hunting knife, you need never visit a town again. However your chances vs a bandit are somewhere between squat and diddly.

The point is, it's important to maintain this balance. A crossbow bolt is probably comparable in size to a magazine for some guns, if you laid the bullets end to end. Also, I don't think quivers would work with the bolt recovery mechanic. Given that it's never going to reach out and tap you at 500m though, I can see it being given a decent hunting scope, without upsetting the survivor vs bandit balance.

[/quote']

Incorrect. As a rogue-like person I tend to find sneaking to about 100m away from a player with a crossbow and depositing a bolt in their head to be a very sound and safe way to assassinate people. Sure in a long range fire fight i'll lose, but it's an ambush weapon. In a mid range fire fight I have successfully won as well.

The weapon takes sighting. The only issue I have is the lack of power, It needs to 1 shot zeds to be completely useful, and i'd hope it'd do 7000 atleast (i'd push for 11K if possible, i mean it's a god damn bolt.) blood damage to a player if it hit their torso.

I disagree with OP, I freaking love the crossbow. As per its in game description, once you get the hang of aiming it is a powerful one shot silent weapon. I use it exactly as described, take out 1 z on his path and retrieve the bolt if I can.

Headshots result in a 90% retrieval rate for me, body shots much worse. Clipping through terrain or walls as they fall are the biggest hinderance there although since 1.7.1.5 I've been looting bolts off zombies I have killed (in addition to retrieving them from the model) so don't know if there was a secret patch effect?

Having said all that, I would like to stack bolts, the exact number is up for grabs, but should be low, 2-4.

For realism I think it should spawn less but have more bolts available. Also in game the bolts are correct being the steel ones but wooden are much more common, larger and easier to come by. The wooden ones would be easier to find, and staring at a corpse for a minute trying to retrieve your bolt sucks, its not fast, its asking to get popped in the head by a sniper or ambushed. The bolts do kill zombies in one hit ANYWHERE but if you hit them in the hand their death pose sinks the bolt into the ground where you can't retrieve it. the zone for picking up the bolt should be waaaay larger, right now we have to pinpoint its exact location and if its buried in flesh, sometimes that's impossible. The hit zones in the game mess up sometimes and you can prove it with the crossbow bolts...for instance the one where I saw the bolt in his hand was wrong, I solidly put that bolt through his tie, center of mass and the wounds reflected that but the bolt was somehow in his hand. I've been mostly doing body shots but when there is latency, this weapon is almost useless. They should be in a quiver of around 20 but for realism, it should take up two slots. Ammo slot sizes need a bit of work when compared to other items.