Sign in to follow this  
8bitplaya

How to Zero your sniper and other goodies!

Sorry I can't post that information, because I don't know it. In fact until about 5 minutes ago I wasn't aware you could do it at all. Now thanks to a fancy post in the CZ thread I know you can, just not how!

So, if any of you bandit vets out there feel chatty a quick tutorial on the matter would be really useful. Please include any information on how to shoot down or up hill as well!

Also, if any of you vets wanna share your knowledge on areas/cities/roads away from the zerg that are high traffic, or that players with better kit traffic more often that would be useful too. I found one military base in Stary, but so far thats it.

Lastly, I will be happy to add a list of locations that spawn better loot, if you feel like sharing.

Let's get some real knowledge in here, as this thread grows I'll go through it and add it to this first post.

Thanks in advance.

(reserved) just in case.

Page up/down and look in top right.

high buildings in chern are effective

loot is random, try military bases @ NW airfield or something

So there is bullet drop on the sniper rifles? Is there also bullet drop on other, non-scope guns?

The boot camp scenarios in the regular game teach you all of this stuff. Theres a whole shooting range section where it's explained AND you can practice.

L

Thanks a lot Disgraced I'll do that now :D!

I had a vague idea how zeroing in worked (sorry, you hardened vets out there!), but those tutorial bits really helped me, especially the target practice with sniper/scoped weapons!

Just finished it. It was really fun! I wanna get my hands on a dirty little m24 now!!! Murder some people at a kilometer away :D!!!

Just finished it. It was really fun! I wanna get my hands on a dirty little m24 now!!! Murder some people at a kilometer away :D!!!

What have I done?!?

You'll probably kill me later :) damned bandits!

I just got a M24, that weapon is fucking sick, killed someone from a 500m range :)

Honestly, even after playing the training stuff, I know HOW to adjust the distance (zero) a sniper rifle, but getting the right distance is still beyond me.

Honestly' date=' even after playing the training stuff, I know HOW to adjust the distance (zero) a sniper rifle, but getting the right distance is still beyond me.

[/quote']

You can get a range finder I believe..

If you really want to practice sniping, use the editor. Place yourself on the highest mountain on Chernarus and place a group of enemies at the bottom. Different scenarios, maybe 500m down the road sniping 2 moving targets. Stuff like that.

There is bullet drop on every weapon. Rifles, pistols, anti-vehicle rocket launchers, etc.. Some of you new guys need to remember, ArmA 2 ISN'T a zombie simulator. It's a military simulator. Learn what the game really is about, play through the entire campaign and just learn all the features.

Bullet drop and bullet travel speed, i don't recall the exact speed, but the speed of sound is around 300meter per second, so a bullet going at the speed of sound still need about a second to reach a target at 300 meters.

So zeroing AND movement compensation.

As for estimating the distances, there are tricks that you can use that involve measuring the size of your target, since most human beings are about the same size when standing (bar a few extremes) you can get a pretty good idea of your target's distance from it's height in the scope (fixed scope guns only).

Some sniper rifles have helpers for this inside the scope's optics, for example, the russian pso scopes

POSP-Russian-Scope-Reticle-1000.jpg

You can put your target between the flat and the curvy line and it will give you a rough estimate of the distance from your target.

Another thing, sounds in arma travel at 300m/second, so you generally see the muzzle flash of a remote shooter before you hear the gunshot.

That means you can see your assassin's muzzle flash before the bullet goes through you.

If DayZ had Sniper Elites little bullet time system to follow your shots, I would cry with joy every time I sniped someone. Even more so then I do now

So I went out with the editor and sniped for a while with the US sniper rifle since it only has zeroing, like the CZ. I setup in Zub and sniped on groups of enemies down in Vyshnoye.

I did pretty well, so maybe soon I'll be a half way decent sniper XD

If DayZ had Sniper Elites little bullet time system to follow your shots' date=' I would cry with joy every time I sniped someone. Even more so then I do now

[/quote']There's actually an addon that connects a camera to your fired bullets.

I wonder if anybody who just bought ArmA 2 just for Dayz even knows that there's different mods for the game. Vehicles, weapons, models, sound mods, missions and campaigns. It's too bad ArmA 2 wasn't this popular by itself.

I like the rifle myself. zeroing is easy

pg up + pg down.

would be nice if it had the scope in the previous post though.

If DayZ had Sniper Elites little bullet time system to follow your shots' date=' I would cry with joy every time I sniped someone. Even more so then I do now

[/quote']There's actually an addon that connects a camera to your fired bullets.

I wonder if anybody who just bought ArmA 2 just for Dayz even knows that there's different mods for the game. Vehicles, weapons, models, sound mods, missions and campaigns. It's too bad ArmA 2 wasn't this popular by itself.

Does the add-on work with the DayZ mod, and can I turn it off for auto-fire/actual firefights?

For those with out a rangefinder: The small squares on your map are 100x100 so if you know your own position + theirs you can just count the squars between you and your target and you will know your distance from the target.

For those with out a rangefinder: [...]

How to use the rangefinder? I've tried every key on my keyboard.

Trial & Error. Practice to averagely estimate range, if it's not right, adjust and fire again.

Do individual weapons have individual muzzle velocities in Arma? If so, you would have to compensate leading for different weapons.

If you are a camping sniper just learn the distance of some landmark buildings from your perch and you will easily estimate your targets range from yourself.