Sign in to follow this  
8bitplaya

How to Zero your sniper and other goodies!

Hi guys....

I read all the posts and I decided to set a couple of things right...

First of all ... bullets from sniper rifles that are in game (Cz 550, M24, dragunov etc.) they all travel appoximatelly 800m/s (not 300 as mentiond in some pervious replays).

Secondly, how to find right distance? Well on regular difficultly it super easy ... game directly tells you haw far away other player is.

ON veteran and expert... well using map tiles is good idea, however it takes quite a long time that you usually don't have. So instead practice to measure the according to how big your target is compared to that scope trangle... it takes some practice but it's

quite easy. Moreover ... always zero TO LESS THAN WHAT YOU THINK THE DISTANCE IS and aim for the head... this way you hid a headshot if you got the distacnce correctly and if you didn't youll still hid him and can shot him second time to kill.

Next thing is how to hit a moving target, that's a bit tricky ...

did you ever wondered why is there a horizontal scale on the scope? well I experimentaly confirmed that if person is moving perpendiculary to your aim in crouched run you have to aim 3/4 of one of that horizontal scale tiles in front of him ON CZ 550, don't have any experience with better rifles.. AND importatn thing .. this doesn't change with distance... way the mathematics of this calculus works is distance independent! so if a target is 200m in front of you an is crouchrunning aim 3/4 in front ... if he's 500m away crouchrunning aim the same 3/4 in front of him !!!

Always watch a target first and confirm weather he's alone or not, wait until you have a clear shot, you only have one shot to get him down!!

If there are zombies around your target or you keep in mind that after you shoot you will have to run !! Have some indoors ready to run to and take care of zombies, that are chaising you there.

It's always better to let go of your target if you're not sure you will hid him with first shot !!

And btw... after you kill someone ... and he asks in global who it was... there's nothing better than to admit is was you along with some smart coment like ... "I just taught you not to run with flare in your hand"

And keep posting interesting strategies guys... finally some thread for real sneaky players :-) :-)

If DayZ had Sniper Elites little bullet time system to follow your shots' date=' I would cry with joy every time I sniped someone. Even more so then I do now

[/quote']There's actually an addon that connects a camera to your fired bullets.

I wonder if anybody who just bought ArmA 2 just for Dayz even knows that there's different mods for the game. Vehicles, weapons, models, sound mods, missions and campaigns. It's too bad ArmA 2 wasn't this popular by itself.

Does the add-on work with the DayZ mod, and can I turn it off for auto-fire/actual firefights?

No. It has to be included with the mod.

This is one of the areas where ArmA2 truly excels. People say that "Battlefield 3 replicates real ballistics", sorry but it doesn't. While ArmA2's system isn't perfectly accurate, it's a hell of a lot better than anything else out there. The only improvement that I can think of is ACE, which adds windage adjustments.

Just the fact that ArmA more or less replicates realistic engagement ranges is enough to draw me in as a long time high power rifle shooter. It's nice to play a game that doesn't reward a shot over 10 yards as a "LONG SHOT KILL BONUS".

Anyway, spend some time fooling around in the editor and you'll get the hang of shooting in ArmA2.

I've found (not sure what difficulty its on) to help you start judging distances, if while scoped you mousewheel one 'click' it will give you the action hand and bring up options, but it will also tell you the range of the thing you are pointing at.

So if you wanted to find generic ranges, go somewhere, and stand what you think is X meters away from a building, then check, repeat as necessary.

So there is bullet drop on the sniper rifles? Is there also bullet drop on other' date=' non-scope guns?

[/quote']

Every weapon in ArmA is affected by bullet drop and all other realistic physics measures.

If your target is by a feature, say has just entered a raidable building I found you can use your map to work out the rough distance by finding said building on there. Encounters in wild can be more tricky however. I'm still waiting for a range finder to drop!

I'm just wondering what the m16 acog sight is zero'd to and what eaxh line represents... and I presume that would be the same for the other scoped (non-zeroing) weapons??