roybrown

DayZ Inventory Redesign

By the way MooFactory, thanks for posting those Diegetic links. Very interesting read.

Oh Man That is AWESOME what an improvement !!! .....

No Actually... I didn't even look at your design for one second, but I can tell you whatever you came up with is easily 10 times better than the current inventory system... which is in all honesty absolutely laughable. Remember tying to explain it to someone for the first time over in-game chat? ,,,, sighhhh there is 15 min you are not going to get back.

But seriously good job though, looks good!

Of course in the end, All this UI change based on how arma 2 currently operates is a farce.

Anyone that's seen the New Inventory system for arma 3 will know what im talking about.

That and taking into account the weapon and gear customization functionality.

All the current issues with arma 2 Usability are probably addressed in arma 3.

Its probably more productive to forget everything you know about the current arma 2 Inventory UI and start from scratch.

With being very mindful of the new enhancements for arma 3 that will potentially impact on inventory.

Rocket is more likely to keep it in mind down the road if he takes notice.

As a UX/Web designer, im keen to take a crack at a new UI design myself..

but id focus on where it will end up rather than where it is right now.

Arma 3 Inventory UI functionality is a good place to start.

Still nothing wrong with coming up with New Arma 2 designs though.

It will still be around long after Arma 3 is here, Gets people talking too.

Where did you get a preview of the Arma 3 UI?

Nice redesign, however you should check out the ARMA 3 inventory system (which already includes a lot of the things you've suggested), as that is most likely what Day Z will be adopting.

Edited by Wrath

I think that is the most depressing thing I've noticed in Arma 3 footage: The same crappy inventory system from Arma2.

For a game purported to be a sim they go out of their way to make an inventory system far more difficult than the reality they're attempting to model.

Why do I need space in my pack to swap from primary to flashlight? Do real people attempt to stick assault rifles into their backpacks? I seem to recall this handy invention called the "sling". I seem to recall seeing them attached quite often to rifles.

Edited by random51

Beans for the OP.

Of course this is not a new idea, but OP actually put in the work to do a mock up. Looks great, only problem is I would not expect anything like this until we get a stand alone. I am hoping Rocket does something modular and unique, but we will see.

Nice inventory design, it would not fit on small resolutions though.

Yes it would.

I could just import the whole image as a smart object into Illustrator from Photoshop, it's no biggie.

Set up my layers and just make it vectorized, thats the last thing I'm worried about.

Vector based images can be resized quite easily, and also, that image was demoed on my PC using 1024, 768.

Edited by RoyBrown

While this is probably one of the most straight forward and uncomplicated designs ever, you have to keep in mind that this is ARMA. The most wonky, broken and worthless game on the planet. Have you ever tried playing ARMA? I dare you, I literally fucking dare you to put 20 minutes into that game. Do it.

While this is probably one of the most straight forward and uncomplicated designs ever, you have to keep in mind that this is ARMA. The most wonky, broken and worthless game on the planet. Have you ever tried playing ARMA? I dare you, I literally fucking dare you to put 20 minutes into that game. Do it.

Have you ever playedFallout3 or New Vegas ? it goes to a place where Arma would not even be able to dip its toes. But yeh..original arma was a fucking huge pain.Worst ever though ?..not even close.

Have you ever playedFallout3 or New Vegas ? it goes to a place where Arma would not even be able to dip its toes. But yeh..original arma was a fucking huge pain.Worst ever though ?..not even close.

I have played those games and although I think that Bethesda is an absolutely worthless developer that took a giant dump on my favorite franchise while growing up, it's nowhere, i mean NOWHERE as bad as the ARMA engine. Buggy? Yes but is it functional and has it remained functional for a MUCH larger audience? Yes. The stresses for Fallout 3/New Vegas are far higher than ARMA. If you want to talk about bad inventory, lets talk about Fallout 1 and 2, even then....it wasn't 1/10th as bad and those games are more than a decade old

I think the inventory system is pretty easy really..point click..point click, yeah sure it has some bugs , but it is pretty intuitive and basic...but then again i come from the simulation side of things and dont do too much on rails fps type click kill click kill stuff. You tend to have a lot more patience with clunky systems in simaltions v rail shooters. You want to see a total humungous fuck up of a sim..try a game called Cliffs of Dover. That thing will make your fucking hair grey and your teeth fall out , instantly. Poor optimisation ? That game has it over Arma in spades. Remeber silent hunter 5 ? fuck. me.

I'm pretty sure BI never thought the game would ever get the sort of audience it now has and the guys that are interested in it and have been playing it for years are quite happy with the smallish tight knit group they have (had). It isnt the casual gamers game or the masses either..the curve is too steep for a lot of the gamers that want a run and gun fest. Cod and the battlefield series deliver that in bucket loads.

Now that the game has blown up and you get people jumping in that never would have looked at the Arma series everyone is up in arms about how absolutely crap it is and how the inventory works or does not, its too hard omg worst game ever.

I am not saying Arma originally was not a bug riddled crash fest..i tried it for weeks before i gave up on it years ago and threw it to the cupboard pile..but there is worse out there. Arma definitely has something about it though that is hard to match. I hope for fucks sake they dont dumb it down too much to satisfy the masses.

• Like 1

I think the inventory system is pretty easy really..point click..point click, yeah sure it has some bugs , but it is pretty intuitive and basic...but then again i come from the simulation side of things and dont do too much on rails fps type click kill click kill stuff. You tend to have a lot more patience with clunky systems in simaltions v rail shooters. You want to see a total humungous fuck up of a sim..try a game called Cliffs of Dover. That thing will make your fucking hair grey and your teeth fall out , instantly. Poor optimisation ? That game has it over Arma in spades. Remeber silent hunter 5 ? fuck. me.

I'm pretty sure BI never thought the game would ever get the sort of audience it now has and the guys that are interested in it and have been playing it for years are quite happy with the smallish tight knit group they have (had). It isnt the casual gamers game or the masses either..the curve is too steep for a lot of the gamers that want a run and gun fest. Cod and the battlefield series deliver that in bucket loads.

Now that the game has blown up and you get people jumping in that never would have looked at the Arma series everyone is up in arms about how absolutely crap it is and how the inventory works or does not, its too hard omg worst game ever.

I am not saying Arma originally was not a bug riddled crash fest..i tried it for weeks before i gave up on it years ago and threw it to the cupboard pile..but there is worse out there. Arma definitely has something about it though that is hard to match. I hope for fucks sake they dont dumb it down too much to satisfy the masses.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on all points. The ARMA inventory is bad, just insanely bad. Not only is it buggy but the backpack feature has to be one of the least intuitive, awful, buggy things I've ever encountered. Your ingame backpack is sort of like a dryer, the same place where socks go to die apparently. Nobody knows where your rifle went, it's just gone. The inventory is bad, just flat out bad. Nobody should even be arguing this.

Apart from your item changes (making flashlight and axe new spots) this is what we need. Bigger interface with more segregation, especially for packs, really need to get rid of the number in corner system for them.

Would be nice if on the interface you could drag items as well, to swap there position.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on all points. The ARMA inventory is bad, just insanely bad. Not only is it buggy but the backpack feature has to be one of the least intuitive, awful, buggy things I've ever encountered. Your ingame backpack is sort of like a dryer, the same place where socks go to die apparently. Nobody knows where your rifle went, it's just gone. The inventory is bad, just flat out bad. Nobody should even be arguing this.

All good , i'm glad we could manage to have differing opinions without it falling into the standard forum deathmatch of trying to out meme each other :)

Is there no way to see a list of your items? I mean like instead of finding an item in my inventory based on its icon, I like to scroll down my list of items to see exactly what I have.

That would be the only issue I think I have with this. Otherwise it looks great.

Just a bump for good measure. I would really like to see something like this in standalone alpha.

Really fantastic design. Signficantly better than what is there is now for sure. Would definitely like to see them implement something like this in the standalone.

There's dumbing down and then there is streamlining a recognizably broken/faulty design. Of course it's just a mod and there is only so much that can be done, but there are a number of things that I feel ARMA2 does as "realism" and really is just poor design on the part of the developer. From the slow animations to how things are interacted with, it's "realism" that is "unrealistic".