Sign in to follow this  
Slyguy65

L85 thermal/NV or SD AR?

Ok so im curious which one is better? I heard the L85 takes a ton of bullets to kill something (5 or so compared to the usual one or 3 shots max from other main guns) i was told the M9 was better than the M1911...i regret listening to them...m9 takes like 5 shots m19 only took 1...so is the difference between damage like that? Or was the person i talked to that had a L85 just exaggerating..(TBH i don't trust their judgement when it comes to dayz equipment)

I have used the L85 once or twice but only as a support/scout weapon....haven't fired it even once.

By my point of view it was the most amazing thing a man can have in there....especially in hotspots such as NW airfield and stary sobor.

I play with a group so spotting a man from as far as the eye can see and being able to follow him almost 100% was great for my team and our sniper.

As for the M9....I don't like it I don't use it and it doesn't fit the above play style.

All that are strictly my personal opinion through what I have experienced.

Thermal is a fantastic tool for scouting. Practical applications are somewhat limited as the only weapon to use it, as noted was the L85 which is a smaller caliber than something like the FAL.

The Night Vision scopes are very detrimental to the user, as they are only worthwhile at, you guessed it, night. Unless I've missed something I was unable to toggle them, whereas you can with NV goggles.

Also, any zombie kills should be headshots, as you should be maneuvering yourself into a position where you have the time to line up shots, which is where a silenced m9 comes into play. The 1911 is great for the one hit shot, as well as against players, but if you have to dispatch one or two zombies in a hotzone like NW airfield or Stary Sobor, you're much better off having a silenced sidearm and taking your time rather than giving them that audio cue that someone is around.

Edited by WilkyWilks

Damage in the Arma 2 engine is based on type of ammo and not the weapon itself. The L85 uses Stanag rounds so it is just as powerful as your M16s and M4A1s.

Here's a handy weapon comparison table I found on reddit. http://imgur.com/ntfgw