Sign in to follow this  
morimasa

Thanks to banditry I decide to not quit the game.

Just want to say thanks to those who killed me in my previous lives and those who were killed by me an hour ago.

By the time I realized this was a long ass post so:

For the past two weeks I've been exploring the land of Chernarus, looting towns, killing zombies, yelling "friendlies?" in direct communication. Sometimes I met strangers who helped me through looting the whole town of Cherno and Elektro; even though I sucked at shooting zombies in this game these strangers stayed by me in the most noobish aggros and helped me survive, thank you nameless strangers. Sometimes I was shot and died without even time to react. I had the most embarrassing death when I was chased and killed by a Makarov PM when I had not even a hatchet on me - I just kinda stood there and let it happened.

I've done all the taboo in this game. Logged during combat, hopped server in search of loot which ended by a spawn kill, and accidentally had 2 clients running and realizing how dangerous that potential is. But then while I'm surfing the forums for bug reporting I found how awful it was of me to have made those mistakes, I'm really sorry and I will never do it again.

For the past two weeks my friends (known each other irl and playing w/ TeamSpeak) and I played together trying to make life in the wasteland easier and enjoyable. We had so much fun raiding towns, massacring zombies, and just generally goofing around in this big open world. Our goal was to find a bus and start a public transit business in Cherno. However all of these soon got boring due to bugs that ate our items or killed us, encountering people using hacks, constant deaths from snipers, never able to find any meaningful vehicles, and the recent loss of two tents full of loot and a tractor on our home server Chicago 58 (the server ceased to exist) For a lot of you hardcore DayZ veterans those were probably trivial and incomparable to the scale of what you've gone through, but for us it was devastating. Simply put, we rage-quit.

Today I logged on a fairly populated server and went to Cherno with no particular reason. I didn't think about encounters of other players, didn't care about dying and losing my gear, and didn’t expect to get awesome loot. I didn't really give a fuck because I was going to quit playing this frustrating game. Little did I know tonight changed everything.

It was a nice moonlit night with visible stars and no rain or fog, I moved down the mountains side of Vysota heading south towards Cherno. I heard two distant gun shots fired towards the east side of Cherno, possibly from the high yield industrial building – the abandoned construction site. I proceed moving since I thought it was far away and I felt if I were to die on that hillside, so be it. All of a sudden I saw some zombie aggro 150m in front of me close to the houses. I instantly pulled out my binoculars to check it out. It was two survivors (group A) running through the houses – definitely accidental aggro.

I wanted to kill them with my AKM because I thought it would add to the excitement of their adventure. But in all honesty I just want to fuck with them lol. Had I done that I wouldn’t be writing this right now because there was actually another group of two other guys (group B ) to the left of my position, possibly camping for survivors. They would have killed me if I even fire to scare the escaping group A. They went after group A in haste as they literally ran pass me. I was prone on the ground just thinking how lucky I was when they didn’t see me. I didn’t go for a kill on group B because it was pretty hard to see through the forest, if I couldn’t locate them, how am I supposed to kill them? At this point I already felt a huge rush of adrenaline playing. The survival immersion was amazing at that moment – but I still wasn’t convinced to not quit the game.

And at last came the final encounter when I’m about to cross the fields into the gas station. I saw yet again a group of 2 survivors (could be the ones that fired those shots earlier) making their way towards my position. I thought they’ve either spotted me or was after group B but now I think about it in hindsight they’re likely just leaving Cherno with a good night’s raid at the hospital. This pair was a couple. (I’m just saying this because one of them was playing a female character. I mean who the hell would play a female character? You can’t even wear any tactical clothes, and female characters in this game are not exactly nice on the eyes either. They were probably two bros but let’s keep them a couple so we get a better love story than Twilight.)

I decided to kill them for my personal pleasure, or maybe a granted good death. The AKM zeroing was switched to 100, a range of my shooting confidence. Shooting position was ready, nicely crouched down beside a tree. Zoomed in – fire. Three bursts of bullets went flying through the fields, maybe they hit, maybe not, but one thing for sure is that the bullets have caused them to notice my presence. Shots were returned with ferocity. Sadly, with just ferocity you would not get very far in this game, none of those shots even grazed me a single bit. I started to wonder if they actually knew where I was but just sucked at shooting or were they just firing blindly. I dropped behind a bush and gone prone, I knew they would not see me from the angle they’re at or at least they’d think I’m down. Lost them briefly when I crawled out of the bush trying to re-engage. But there they were, also prone in the fields. I went back into crouch, aiming down the sights and fired. This time I made sure they’re dead by checking the kill log on the bottom left. Two names consecutively popping up, two added murders on my status, I nailed them good. I moved towards the dead bodies, making a huge mistake of not checking for additional enemies but I got lucky and was able to get to the loot. They had some nice tools and medical supplies on them, one M16A2 M203 and a Lee Enfield. I didn’t need any of those, but damn was I happy to see the tent on the guy (no pun intended).

All in all, this was not the first time I murdered someone and the loot weren't great. (I had sneaked on quite a few players before, it made me wonder if there were some issues with hearing footsteps.) But this was the first time when I actually had a fight going on instead of either dying without seeing the attacker. This was the first time when I actually enjoyed the gunplay in this game. And lastly this was the first time when I realize just how fucking awesome to be a bandit.

Thank you bandits for killing me previously and made me feel miserable and scared to move through open space or go to airfields. With those fear they lead me to anger, hate, and sufferings. Thus I’ve turned to the dark side. Thank the two victims who were good sports and didn’t log when I first shot at you, you guys were amazing. Thanks for banditry that had made this game fun.

TL;DR Fuck yeah banditry.

A shout to my buddies: I know you guys check the forums, so if you’re reading this. I’m not quitting, neither should you. Screw playing nice and survive like a bitch. Those loots we lost don’t mean nothing if we’re not using them to kill. I still haven’t given up on trying to find the dream vehicle and goof around in style but like my story shows you don’t need no rides to have fun, plus those rides were probably hoarded off the map anyways. You don’t need NVGs, ghillie suits or rare guns either. Don’t quit, stick around and you might find being a bandit to your likings.

• Like 3

It is a shame some very nice friendly's are turning into Banditry. I guess it is life of DayZ.

I just sat here...nicely written! =) Thinking of a DayZ novel maybe? ;)

I don't think there's to many bandits...80k out of >500K unique players isnt alot.

Thank god for banditry, fucking with people is the most fun iuve had in DayZ yet! =)

Just want to say thanks to those who killed me in my previous lives and those who were killed by me an hour ago.

By the time I realized this was a long ass post so:

For the past two weeks I've been exploring the land of Chernarus, looting towns, killing zombies, yelling "friendlies?" in direct communication. Sometimes I met strangers who helped me through looting the whole town of Cherno and Elektro; even though I sucked at shooting zombies in this game these strangers stayed by me in the most noobish aggros and helped me survive, thank you nameless strangers. Sometimes I was shot and died without even time to react. I had the most embarrassing death when I was chased and killed by a Makarov PM when I had not even a hatchet on me - I just kinda stood there and let it happened.

I've done all the taboo in this game. Logged during combat, hopped server in search of loot which ended by a spawn kill, and accidentally had 2 clients running and realizing how dangerous that potential is. But then while I'm surfing the forums for bug reporting I found how awful it was of me to have made those mistakes, I'm really sorry and I will never do it again.

For the past two weeks my friends (known each other irl and playing w/ TeamSpeak) and I played together trying to make life in the wasteland easier and enjoyable. We had so much fun raiding towns, massacring zombies, and just generally goofing around in this big open world. Our goal was to find a bus and start a public transit business in Cherno. However all of these soon got boring due to bugs that ate our items or killed us, encountering people using hacks, constant deaths from snipers, never able to find any meaningful vehicles, and the recent loss of two tents full of loot and a tractor on our home server Chicago 58 (the server ceased to exist) For a lot of you hardcore DayZ veterans those were probably trivial and incomparable to the scale of what you've gone through, but for us it was devastating. Simply put, we rage-quit.

Today I logged on a fairly populated server and went to Cherno with no particular reason. I didn't think about encounters of other players, didn't care about dying and losing my gear, and didn’t expect to get awesome loot. I didn't really give a fuck because I was going to quit playing this frustrating game. Little did I know tonight changed everything.

It was a nice moonlit night with visible stars and no rain or fog, I moved down the mountains side of Vysota heading south towards Cherno. I heard two distant gun shots fired towards the east side of Cherno, possibly from the high yield industrial building – the abandoned construction site. I proceed moving since I thought it was far away and I felt if I were to die on that hillside, so be it. All of a sudden I saw some zombie aggro 150m in front of me close to the houses. I instantly pulled out my binoculars to check it out. It was two survivors (group A) running through the houses – definitely accidental aggro.

I wanted to kill them with my AKM because I thought it would add to the excitement of their adventure. But in all honesty I just want to fuck with them lol. Had I done that I wouldn’t be writing this right now because there was actually another group of two other guys (group B ) to the left of my position, possibly camping for survivors. They would have killed me if I even fire to scare the escaping group A. They went after group A in haste as they literally ran pass me. I was prone on the ground just thinking how lucky I was when they didn’t see me. I didn’t go for a kill on group B because it was pretty hard to see through the forest, if I couldn’t locate them, how am I supposed to kill them? At this point I already felt a huge rush of adrenaline playing. The survival immersion was amazing at that moment – but I still wasn’t convinced to not quit the game.

And at last came the final encounter when I’m about to cross the fields into the gas station. I saw yet again a group of 2 survivors (could be the ones that fired those shots earlier) making their way towards my position. I thought they’ve either spotted me or was after group B but now I think about it in hindsight they’re likely just leaving Cherno with a good night’s raid at the hospital. This pair was a couple. (I’m just saying this because one of them was playing a female character. I mean who the hell would play a female character? You can’t even wear any tactical clothes, and female characters in this game are not exactly nice on the eyes either. They were probably two bros but let’s keep them a couple so we get a better love story than Twilight.)

I decided to kill them for my personal pleasure, or maybe a granted good death. The AKM zeroing was switched to 100, a range of my shooting confidence. Shooting position was ready, nicely crouched down beside a tree. Zoomed in – fire. Three bursts of bullets went flying through the fields, maybe they hit, maybe not, but one thing for sure is that the bullets have caused them to notice my presence. Shots were returned with ferocity. Sadly, with just ferocity you would not get very far in this game, none of those shots even grazed me a single bit. I started to wonder if they actually knew where I was but just sucked at shooting or were they just firing blindly. I dropped behind a bush and gone prone, I knew they would not see me from the angle they’re at or at least they’d think I’m down. Lost them briefly when I crawled out of the bush trying to re-engage. But there they were, also prone in the fields. I went back into crouch, aiming down the sights and fired. This time I made sure they’re dead by checking the kill log on the bottom left. Two names consecutively popping up, two added murders on my status, I nailed them good. I moved towards the dead bodies, making a huge mistake of not checking for additional enemies but I got lucky and was able to get to the loot. They had some nice tools and medical supplies on them, one M16A2 M203 and a Lee Enfield. I didn’t need any of those, but damn was I happy to see the tent on the guy (no pun intended).

All in all, this was not the first time I murdered someone and the loot weren't great. (I had sneaked on quite a few players before, it made me wonder if there were some issues with hearing footsteps.) But this was the first time when I actually had a fight going on instead of either dying without seeing the attacker. This was the first time when I actually enjoyed the gunplay in this game. And lastly this was the first time when I realize just how fucking awesome to be a bandit.

Thank you bandits for killing me previously and made me feel miserable and scared to move through open space or go to airfields. With those fear they lead me to anger, hate, and sufferings. Thus I’ve turned to the dark side. Thank the two victims who were good sports and didn’t log when I first shot at you, you guys were amazing. Thanks for banditry that had made this game fun.

TL;DR Fuck yeah banditry.

A shout to my buddies: I know you guys check the forums, so if you’re reading this. I’m not quitting, neither should you. Screw playing nice and survive like a bitch. Those loots we lost don’t mean nothing if we’re not using them to kill. I still haven’t given up on trying to find the dream vehicle and goof around in style but like my story shows you don’t need no rides to have fun, plus those rides were probably hoarded off the map anyways. You don’t need NVGs, ghillie suits or rare guns either. Don’t quit, stick around and you might find being a bandit to your likings.

If you had a bus on Chicago 58 2 weeks ago we stole it and drove off into the night, supper happy fun times..

I too only began to enjoy this game when I experimented with banditry. Killing noobs is really no fun, but gunplay between yourself and other similarly geared people is awesome and intense.

If you had a bus on Chicago 58 2 weeks ago we stole it and drove off into the night, supper happy fun times..

No I wasn't playing back then I don't think. Also we were only able to find a tractor. It was our dream to find a bus and ride it as if it was magical, I envy you. But just today I stole a bus from someone else on US 592 :D

Good to see you all enjoyed story of banditry.

We all learned to play the bad guy when we're kids, some people might simply just forgot that you can't have a game of all sheriffs.

coolstorybro.png

nice to see someone else turn to the dark side.

i hear the dark side has cookies?