protossmaster

Dear Dayz Developers

I am not angry, this is not a rage post.

I feel that we need to find a solution to the way patches are implemented In the mod.

The current issues that I observe with the current six launcher/updator is that it forces you to update into the patch. This is obviously ideal since we need to test out the alpha patch on a large scale. But if the patch turns out to be unplayable we have to wait for a hotfix. When updated we can't join server with a lower version and/or build. This can cause new people in the community to become angry and rage about the patch thinking that this mod isn't in alpha stage. You can't manually downgrade your version because the mod builds can only update, not downgrade.

I want the developers to release alpha patches without fear of the community going on a witch hunt.

So I thought of a crappy/idiotic solution to this issue..

Have multiple mod folders with different builds and access the correct one when selecting the server via six updater.

Pros

• Developers can release patches without fear of ending the dayz world.
  • If the patch breaks the game, we can still join the servers that haven't updated.
  • We won't fear patch day.

Cons

• people can join the outdated servers, regear in the low populated + outdated server.. Then join the newer servers to 'grief'. (I don't have a issue with bandits for I am one)
  • Could make characters more unstable. (I am not sure how well the 'Hive' will deal with this)
  • It would be harder to manually update. (since you have to change the start target to the correct mod folder every update).
  • Dayz will take up more hard-drive space as the alpha progresses. (any one have a issue with this? lol)

But this may be impossible or not needed.

Edited by Imtheantinoob
  • Like 1

Don't use six Launcher if you don't want a forced update. there are alternative launchers and as well as, I dunno, launching the game manually. There are plenty of people still using 1.7.1.5 for its stability, and theyre not "griefing," nor do the technical problems you cite pose any problem at all (I have the files for the past three patches, and plenty other people have similar archives.).

Also, use the suggestion forum, not discussion.

Edited by thorgold

No, I just think having a bit of patience while everything updates and gets ironed out is the way forward. I hate the idea of servers running loads of different versions like some other games.

I only use Six Updater for mods like ACE and I44, for DayZ since it's in alpha I use an entirely different launcher that lets me launch DayZ after I put the mod files in there by myself since I didn't want Six Updater to manually update for a buggy alpha.

Don't use six Launcher if you don't want a forced update. there are alternative launchers and as well as, I dunno, launching the game manually. There are plenty of people still using 1.7.1.5 for its stability, and theyre not "griefing," nor do the technical problems you cite pose any problem at all (I have the files for the past three patches, and plenty other people have similar archives.).

Also, use the suggestion forum, not discussion.

I also manually update but many people don't have the knowledge to manually update and/or use a different launcher.

Ya I should've moved this to the suggestion fourm.. Hopefully it is moved by a admin/moderater.

Edited by Imtheantinoob
  • Like 1

Same problem !

I'm new and I tried the game 20 min. with my friends earlier this day ....

after lunch I had an update and now I can't join any outdated servers :(

How do I downgrade?

Uhh, Six Updater does not force you to update.

Simply select "Launch Game" instead of "Update Mods and Launch Game" and it will run the current version without updating.

Uhh, Six Updater does not force you to update.

Simply select "Launch Game" instead of "Update Mods and Launch Game" and it will run the current version without updating.

But when I try to join he says : This server seems outdated , do you want to join anyway ?

Edit: And i'm already updated ....

Edited by Jim4000