Deftallica

How fun is this game solo?

solo was great to learn to survive, but when you think you won't kill your buddy with some bad mistake just find someone on the forum, i made it and my fun increased so much

I think it depends on how much time you want to sink in..... It's a metagame issue.

I have relatively little time IRL to play games, so playing solo can be frustrating as I might spend several hours moving to a new location, only to be sniped at quite often and occasionally killed (1 in 3 blind shootouts), and you need hours and hours of continuous play to make this game worthwhile. So starting again is frustrating when you only have 40 min to play! 40min is a piece of shit in this game. You need to allocate entire dayz to playing it.

It depends on your own personality as well. I am not so much a socialite with complete strangers, but I think the game gets more interesting when you play without caring too much about survival. So literally running into Chernogorsk and watching the carnival. The videos by Snorkle are all the more fun because he doesn't take it too seriously (at all). On other hand, to see how to really play solo and survive, look at FrankieonPCin1080p on youtube,

• Like 1

I've been playing solo for some weeks and I can say it's fun... It's thrilling

I have just started playing this game week before last and I've played the entire time solo. I do like the paranoia feeling. I've done all the major cities solo (very cautiously) I've only been killed once by a player. That was my 1st life when I thought it would be neat to climb up in a lighthouse for a look around... LOL yeah F'n newb...

It's great fun solo imho, but I think I'd like to see the other side of the fence as well.

It's a lot of fun and a lot more intense, but far far more frustrating.

I've been playing DayZ for a while now on solo because all my friends who have the game have been busy lately but I've been able to manage by myself. Only trouble is getting started as you won't have anybody to protect you or watch your back. However when you do find say a hatchet you can become very self sufficient and can search for more supplies. You may also encounter other friendly players that you might wanna work with, but keep in mind they're very capable of stabbing you in the back at any moment.

I'm about to find out :)

I'm basically forced to play solo (just about to play, I launched it for 3 minutes just to make sure everything was working) due to being married and having a 11 month old son.

All my time during day is spent working, then come home hang out for 2 hours, then they (wife and son) go to bed, then from about 8:30pm to about midnight I can do whatever I want. I'm working on iPhone apps too, writing music etc etc, Now I have THIS to do haha. With a tight schedule like that and getting maybe 1 to 2 hours in either daily or every other day you can see someone like me is made to do solo.

If you haven't seen the movie "The Road" it's about some unknown thing destroys the environment on earth and everything is dying slowly. So the whole movie its about a father and son trying to just survive. When I saw videos of this game after watching that movie about 5 months ago I was like HOLY CRAP I can kind of live out that survival fantasy.

I'm launching now, so I'll report back on what I think as a first timer. But first, I have to configure my controls since all the defaults are a case of wtfbbq.

I read a survival guide, watched a few tip videos.

I'm going to trust no one, and just try to get supplies and see what happens! Turned music off :)

Here I go.....

-nick

• Like 1

Playing solo is a lot harder especially if you're new to the game. These days I find myself running solo and still having fun but nothing beats teaming up with some freinds.

One thing to remember when playing alone is don't let your blood get below 9k(ideally keep it max) as theres a chance to be knocked out in one hit by a zombie........nom nom unless hes alone

i almost always play alone with every game since my ts3 friends never like the games i like, dayz is one of them, u usually get bored of a game because i play it in solo, but dayz is still one of my favourite games, playing solo gives you some benefits, the only problem is that when you are fully dressed with every kind of op weapon the game becomes a little booring, but still i enjoy sometimes kill myself and start again from the beginning

So far so good. My first 5 minutes, I found 3 corpses (I read to listen for flies haha) and I found a bunch of stuff. I spawned by an island which had a light house. I swam out there and explored, went up on top and got a good view.

I have no idea wtf I am at, but that's ok it's really sweet. I'm sure I'll be dead soon as I see a big town skyline, I'm sure that's where the action is.

We shall see!

-Nick

I've played solo the whole time. Loved every second of it. It makes you so paranoid and I love that, getting a pit in your stomach every time you see a treeline, every time you enter a town, every time you decide to what to take and leave from a loot pile. Every decision could kill you or save your life. I wouldn't mind being on a team I suppose, but I'm having a grand ol' time lone wolfing it up North for the time being.

• Like 1

Im mixed so far. I'm finding the Ai to be mixed bag, bad pathing weird sight issues. Strange that some can see me from far away, while others walk right past me. I find solo, you can't get anywhere near the airstrip where the barracks are, you are stuck to barns, deer stands and outhouses.

I learned that its kind of loosely based on this approach for SOLO:

GET THE HELL OFF THE COAST AND GO NORTH.

Find something like a barn, stand or outhouse FAST

Check around you ALL THE TIME. I find I get zombies spawning right next to me after I thought it was clear...

Exit strategy, if I am going to a building I have to scout it heavily for zombies and other players...

Slowly enter a building, proning all the way there (takes forever but you really can't crouch much)...

LOOT FAST AND GET THE HELL OUT

That seems to be the routine, I've killed myself off on purpose several times to see where it sticks me and I got spawned on the coast by a town store. Found a gun, never used it as I got sniped. I figured out on servers that have about 20 or more people on it, major towns seem to be camped out. If you go into smaller servers where its like 6/40 then it's a good chance you won't have that issue. But then at that point it's mainly zombies and not as interesting.

I guess I'm not sure about this right now, there are a lot of gaping holes in the playstyle. I know WarZ is on the horizon (maybe, who knows I doubt if they will make the fall schedule they said, too ambitious if you ask me) so that's got a lot of people talking. This has the potential to be great (talking about DayZ here , not WarZ) but I think it needs a lot of work. I look forward to seeing it progress, and will continue to log in and poke around but I think if you want major gear you need to mount an offensive with a group otherwise you just get NAILED trying to approach anything worth a damn lol.

-Nick

@cellphonegaming

DO NOT prone through doors. As of now you have a chance of getting your legs stuck in the wall/door and breaking your leg and bleeding out, or just dying instantly. I gather you have been lucky so far, but I wouldn't count on it.

You can loot the better places as a solo on moderately populated servers, you just need to be careful. Scope out every treeline, look for Zeds spawning in odd areas, and when you're not in cover and could be sniped, never stop moving. This is much easier to do with a squad (sniper, scout, spotter, runner, etc.) but you have to divide the goods amongst each other. Lone wolves get it all to themselves. Basic risk/reward scenario.

I've been watching a lot of videos on Youtube by some of my favorite players of other games (Battlefield, CoD, etc) and DayZ looks like a lot of fun. The only thing is most of the time, at the very least, there's two guys working together. In some cases, groups of four or more.

I just bought Arma 2: Combined Operations on Steam's summer sale so I'm committed to trying it out but I don't have any buddies who play PC games. Lots of friends on Xbox, none on PC, unfortunately. So I'll be going it solo. The way everyone makes it sound other players are far more likely to shoot on sight than help each other.

I'd just hate for, even after putting in several hours and learning the game, to be shot in the face while going about my business. I realize that's just kinda part of the game and all and I'll just have to man up.

If solo'ing isn't too bad, great. Has anyone had success meeting folks on the forums for grouping together?

all you need to do is be friendly in game. you will get killed a few times but you will also meet some nice people. solo in dayz is pretty fun if you are friendly not so much if you are shooting on sight