rorick

Internet Crashing on Connect or Shortly After

Alrighty, so I've been playing Arma 2 for quite some time on my older computer, it wasn't quite strong enough to play with a decent frame rate, so here recently I upgraded to --

AMD FX4100 Quad Core 3.6 Ghz

MSI 760GM P21(FX) (Currently updating the BIOS to troubleshoot)

1x G.SKILL F3-10666CL9-4GBNT (Soon to be 2x)

Sparkle ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

Upon updating to the aforementioned hardware, whenever I launch through six launcher ( I have the steam versions of combined ops.) and then choose a Day Z server to play, I will connect (generally, sometimes internet crashes in the lobby.) wherein I will be able to run around for about twenty to thirty seconds and then I receive the orange chain, red chain, and then it begins to count up in the red text to ~ twenty five through thirty, before I regain connection for a few moments and then it repeats the process. I've ran ping in the background and discovered it is a total internet failure, here shortly I'll test ping on another computer and see if it is a total LAN failure to determine if it is the router.

I've searched through the forums and it appears several other people have this issue, and none of them have been able to remedy it, several people pointing fingers at routers and modems, which... in my case appears to not be the issue because I was able to play before my upgrade. However my router is a --

Wireless-N 150 Router model WNR1000v2

Upon which I have disabled the SPI Firewall as others have done to remedy problems. However, I am not using the wireless capabilities of the router as to I am connected via an ethernet cable.

I'll keep you posted on whether the BIOS update works to correct the issue. And the results of running ping on another computer on the network (connected via ethernet.)

Just a quick update on the issue, I flashed my bios and updated. Waiting for a few updated servers due to the update released a bit ago to test if the problem is still apparent. The new issue I appear to be facing is the waiting for host, however I believe this may just be the few servers that are updated being buggy.

Alrighty, managed to connect to a server, same issue with the bios update however it was a bit delayed. I'm going to keep looking into the issue sometime tomorrow. I'll follow up with my results.

I am having the exact same issues. I played it before then tried to log on one day and update 6 launcher, then my internet crashes. Did it about 20 times and it still crashes. I have reset my modem, uninstalled and reinstalled 6 launcher and the game. So confused why this is happening.

I recently discovered I have the same issue with Dead Island (Damned zombie games zombifying my net.) however I realized it's not a localized issue to this computer, it actually makes my modem drop connection to the internet.

I've tried setting my modem to bridge mode and setting up the PPoE on my router to no avail.

Same issue here. Crashes my modem (DSL). While checking the router log, I notice massive amounts of error packets AFTER I tell PlayWithSix to connect me to a DayZ server game. Which server I tell it to connect to, does not matter.

1) the issue is software side. 2) related specifically to dayz mod. 3) jams up the router with bad/error packets causing it to crash. 4) bad packets stop once the attempt to connect the first time stops, the game is running, and the router comes back online (dials back in - 30+ seconds). 5) modem crash is not server, ping, or region specific.

The network crashing is not system specific either, as my Intel i7 920 w/ Rage III motherboard will have no common chipset driver as the OP. I would assume this happens to a lot of people, but they think there was a connection issue with that server, back out to the dayz server screen, wait for connections to come back up, and connect just fine.

It is disconcerting that this issue is still yet to be addressed since July 13th.

First off, upgrade your routers firmware. What most likely is happening is that dayz commander/six is sending UDP packets to all those servers. As UDP is state-less, it works on a timeout timer. Meanwhile the connection and your UDP port is open, and the NAT table is filled up. if the router doesn't limit this, you're likely to see a router-crash. This is happening because the router just keeps adding connections to the NAT-table untill it fills up its appointed memory and then starts overwriting other areas of the memory which other processes is using.

A "good" router will limit the number of connections per host, so other PCs can connect to the internet. A medium one will exhaust all it's memory on one host but not crash, while a bad one will crash and reboot. I'm saying "good" here because ideally it should have enough memory. Medium/bad ones can just be a firmware upgrade away from being "good" though.

Also, make sure to close any torrent-clients you might be running as they use a lot of connections too. After you've scanned all the servers, wait 3-5 minutes for those connections to timeout. 3 minutes should be more than enough but your milage may wary. You might want to reboot the router before launching Dayz if nothing else helps.

Thank you for your tips, I had completely forgot I had posted this because I was able to fix this problem by swapping ISP's. The problem wasn't actually with my router, or my computer, or anything local for that matter. My friend who also used AT&T DSL for gaming was suffering from the same problems I was, after hearing this I knew it was a regional problem. I informed my family of the problem and they decided the best course of action was to get a separate internet connection for my self. We contacted Mediacom (the only other provider in our area.) and we arranged for them to come hook us up. After the serviceman installed the modem I configured the router (during all of this I swapped back to my older Linksys router and installed a custom firmware to no avail) and what do you know, it worked. If you face a similar problem and use DSL try testing your internet with other games, if you face the same problem my only solution would to be to swap ISP's like I did.