Sign in to follow this  
Crabberson

Super new player

Ok, I would like to first state I have never played ARMA before. I need tips of any variety you can offer. ANY TIPS. I will start by asking a question. Can zombies belly crawl?

Zombies do crawl, yes. As for tips it all depends on how you wanna play the game. There are numerous maps you can find on the web that will allow you to navigate around Chernarus before you find an in game map. If you wanna stay alive and get good loot I suggest you head north and find a good loot map on the web. Secondly, find some people to play with there is safety in numbers. You gotta trust those peeps though so either play with IRL friends or find a teamspeak server that has people meeting up on day z servers and get helping out. i don't think you will be making very many friends ingame, it's ruthless and most people shoot on sight.

Tip # 658.4 - Sub Section 32 - Paragraph 9

If at first you start to bleed...a bandage will help you succeed.

gimme a sec, gonna copy paste some of my tips from another post.

Hmm, lets see, a few tips to get you started huh.... awright, lets see

1. You're either a Bandit or a Carebear. The Difference is that Bandits will shoot on sight WITHOUT some sissy warnings and crap. If you wish to get someone you can trust and play with, take em from some other game/irl where you KNOW they have your back, as trusting strangers in this game, even if they just started out = certain death. On the other hand, if you're a carebear, have fun being shot in the face by bandits who you think are your friends cause they gave you some food and let you hang with them until you found a weapon/usually other way around but yeh.

2. If you die, get yourself the basic starting gear: Hatchet (if nothing else, first weapon) hunting knife, box of matches (a biatch to find at times) compass (your holy grail on your quest further north/northwest) a map (you can always use online maps to figure out where you are by landmarks and compass, so its quite unnecessary) watch (you can get your bearings by using the shadows from trees with it, ofc, this is only if you don't have the patience to look for a compass. It also tells the time of the server =D)

3. weapons. For your secondary, I would suggest getting a makarov to start with unless you find better, then you should get an M1911 or Revolver, mostly because you can turn revolver rounds into M19 rounds and the other way around, tho I have to tell you, Never EVER pick up a G17, thats the next most useless gun in the game after Makarov, and you will still use makarov cause its easier to find ammo for it.

For your main, atleast what I've found the way I do it is: Hatchet > Lee Enflield > AK 74/M4A1 > ak/m4 with scope >different snipers or rarer weapons from barracks/heli crashes if you're lucky

Sure, you could get a shotgun as well, but as I see it, none of them really stands up to a ranged fight if you were to encounter an enemy player. Ofc, if you stay in towns alot, thats a different matter, but I would still recommend longer range even there

If you get a hatchet, remove it from your tool belt and equip it, this will serve damn good as your first weapon, cause if you get within close enuff range of Zeds, you will 1hit kill them without them noticing you (if you're lucky) btw, normal Zeds drop food/bandages, and military ones drop ammo. Ofc, this is just a few of them, again, if you're lucky.

You are free to choose whatever weapons you wish to have, but these are atleast my tips.

4. NEVER get too attached to gear, cause in one fast "swipp" it can all be gone and you'd have to start again. I've seen ALOT of people crying about starting again without ANY weapons and that they're defenceless babies etc. The only thing I agree with those people is that they're babies. This game is MEANT to be hard, its MEANT to simulate how you would behave if, lets say, your ship sunk out at sea thanks to the zombie infestation onboard, and all you could with you was stuff that wouldn't make you sink, like Bandage, painkillers and a flashlight (not so heavy) If you had the same situation, and had tried bringing a gun, you'd have sunk like a stone unless you were some kind of athlete.

5.should've been brought up as 4th, but conserve your ammo! This is not L4dead where a big pile of all ammo will be and your gun uses magicly refilling clips, and you can be sure, if you use your gun within a town, you are sure to bring attention to yourself both from Zeds and Bandits alike. Best thing to do is to avoid them all in all.If you somehow aggro, run into a building that you can run out on the other side of, and when I say run, I mean crouchsneak out of it so you don't further aggro Zeds. This brings us to

6. Learn ALL the buildings! learn how they look, and which ones that have 2 entrances/exits. This will be valuable info when the Zeds are running after you ready to buttrape you Ofc, you ought to take notice of all enterable buildings, and if there's sounds of flies coming from them if you're outside one, you ought to be careful, as there might be a player inside camping the building for unsuspecting pray.

7. If you get a tent, hide it WELL, and by that, I don't mean close to the road somewhere behind a random tree, nonono, hide it somewhere far in the woods where even YOU would need a compass to locate it, preferrably close to pinetrees, as they give the best cover.

8. Read the forums after a patch! more specificly, the bug section, cause you will find stuff happening with stuff that you might be looking at, or intending to use, like the Ghille suit, and boom, its gone with all your stuff! Thats atleast what've been happening since 1.7.2 and there's atleast 3 threads about it, and one had I think 4 pages with cries and rage about how they lost their stuff, this is why you read on the forums after a major patch, and wait to use stuff until its been fixed (feel bad for you guys out there who used yer ghille suit, but its yer own fault =D)

There we go. I think thats about it as far as I can think now. If I have any other tips, I'll edit them in. Think I'll save this for newbie threads like these, seems worthwhile

oh yeah, btw, these maps/sites are freaking awesome, you ought to use em:

http://dayzdb.com/map

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://southcoastbeanwars.com/day-z-maps/

• Like 1

I saw two players crouch running while i was standing on a building. I went to go to a lower ledge and hopefully holler at them and ask for help. Walked over to the ledge, hit it, breaking my leg and going unconscious. They were no where to be seen QQ.

trial and error. Its going to happen, you WILL die...its the nature of the mod...its designed to kill you.

Whatever you do...dont forget that this mod is still in ALPHA stage....we are all testers at the moment, welcome to the test party.

Happy travels mate.

So I found a stump with an axe in it. Is this decor or a fabled hatchet?

Hatchet of lost souls. Only the worthy may wield it.

Not really. Its only for looks.

Decor. Hatchet will be found like other loot. Generally there is about 19 kabillion per map. :)

No, you can hit "V" to get over small objects.

(Fences, bars etc)

Edited by BobofTibia

Nope no jumping only "v" that will allow you to step over/ climb over a few things in the game.

you cant jump. Also i think it was not mentioned you must find water, either soda or a water bottle which can be filled and refilled at any water source. You will die of dehydration about 30 minutes (don't quote me) after spawning and hunger after about an hour.

With double "w" you sprint for a short time, get exausted, then you run at a constant speed. When you stop you can see your aim wiggle and your hear your char breathing hard. Wait for some time to regen himself, so you can aim better and sprint, if you approach a looting zone (town, whatever)

Since we have constant brain-melting fever with 42°C body temp, we can run forever, because we are already dead.

Sometimes however you need to drink and eat.

Edited by EnermaX
  • Like 1

I found a hatchet finally. Can you use it as a weapon or only harvest wood with it?

Tip 1: Look on the forum at the hundreds of guides, if you want tips. :rolleyes:

I found a hatchet finally. Can you use it as a weapon or only harvest wood with it?

Open the inventory and right click on the hatchet in the toolbelt, then you can move it to the primary weapon slot. Equip the primary weapon and then reload (default key = r). Be careful that you do not lose your primary weapon if you already have one equipped.

To return it to the toolbelt, right click on it again.

Edited by thisisbleep

Well. I just jumped off a roof to my death cause some zombies blocked the only way out. O well.

Are only doors that start open interactable? I've seen doors with 3D handles, but I can't open the door.

1. My advice is go to youtube and look at the dayz guides or hints and tips videos helped me no end