Sign in to follow this  
Jon.

Thinking about Buying Arma For Dayz

Well Arma 2: CO is about 16 bucks now because of the steam sale.

I've tested Arma: Free if my computer can run it, and luckily I managably Run it on low settings on around a 1024 Resolution

Now I'm not a big fan of the game itself, but this mod seems interesting, almost interesting to buy Arma to play this mod.

Now I'm curious, is it worth the buy?

On steam stats, only around 2,000 to 4,000 players play Arma OA. Do Dayz players show on Steam Stats, or not?

I'm skeptical because so many times in the past, I've bought games that seem great, but with a limited playerbase, and eventually those games become dead, resulting in a wasted buy. (For example, Payday: The Heist, Dead Island)

Anyways, I hope DayZ has a has a huge database, and if so, I'm definitely buying Arma

Over 400,000+ players have bought the game recently, and the forum thrives with life, more so then a lot of other forums I've been on.

The player base is constantly growing and expanding and greatly worth the purchase if your looking for the playerbase, as that's what DayZ seems to be all about.

If you are not patient, do not bother though, this game can have you pulling your hair out.

Edited by BobofTibia

OK, here is the thing you gotta understand, the MOD is in alpha, no where near complete. there are glitches, bugs, etc.

Now, DayZ, is REALLY fun, but it gets frustrating sometimes. I wouldn't get JUST arma 2 for DayZ there are PLENTY of sp scenarios and mods and such also for arma2. But since it's off, and if you got the extra cash I would get it.

Also, six launcher can, but usually does not use steam to launch arma 2 CO so the steam stats are not accurate.

Like Bobo said, patience is a virtue, In this game, it's needed.

Edited by Zancie

Well, when i play DayZ (i have the Steam version of Arma 2: Combined Operations) i don't actually use Steam to play, i use a software called Six-Launcher, that helps me tracking down my favorite servers so i can join the game right from my desktop.

I also checked on Steam for how many hours i did play the game, but it's not right since i'm not using Steam to play DayZ.

A lot of players also play this way, so what you see there won't tell you the real numbers (I guess).

I think it's worth buying, but you need patience since the mod is still in development and there are a lot of bugs and fixes to be made.

Edited by Fenrig

Iight, Thanks for the insight guys.

I've seen enough gameplay videos to make up my mind.

Hope to see some of you ingame when arma's done installing :D

Edited by Jon.

If you're only able to run a game like this on low settings I would buy a new computer before anymore games

I use "Six" to update my mods and locate servers, but I launch through Steam so people can see when I am playing and no to jump on my TS3 server. Once I'm at the server list I filter for the server I located in "Six" and launch from there. Sure it takes longer, but I like the way Steam tracks my stats. Hopefully once this mod gets into beta we can get some Achievements and such, but I won't be broken hearted if that never happens.

And to add to what several others have already mentioned, there is more to ArmA 2 than DayZ, get the two DLC packs and start discovering what you've been missing out on for the past 3 years.

I would not buy ARMA just for DayZ unless you REALLY think you're going to enjoy it. It's very buggy in it's current form and is exceedingly frustrating. However, if you can get into it and maybe find some friends to play with, it can be oodles of fun.

DayZ is a VERY realistic zombie apocalypse survival game, at least it will be when its done, its a little buggy now. i love the mod but i dont think its for everyone. I think that if dont like Arma that you will not like this game. DayZ takes ALOT of patience and time and just like Arma tries to stay realistic

I too am going to buy ArmA II just for DayZ. (which should tell the devs and potential investors something)

Look on your local Craigslist for people selling ArmA II. I found it for ten bucks, but the entry was old and it'd already been sold. The guy was like, "yeah, the dude I sold it to thought it was a zombie game or something".

Arma 2 Combined Ops is now on sale on Steam for like $23 so it was a no brainer for me, been waiting to see if the price would drop a bit more and it did w00t! Download is taking forever so won't get to play till tomorrow night but can't wait to check it out.

A couple of friends and I just bought the game to get this mod to try out and I can say for the majority of casual gamer's out there getting this game is a BAD idea. In order to have fun you will want to do some searching online to try and figure out were things are and what is important to try and gather, and for the most part you will also want to completely avoid anyone since they most likely will kill you on site. Starting new to the game expect to be running around for 30-45 mins trying to find anything till you get the hang of the environment. But once you get the hang of some things the game can be somewhat fun. I am hoping since the game is still in "Alpha" phase there will be a lot of major changes to make it more noob friendly and more enjoyable overall so it will become more enjoyable.

If you're only able to run a game like this on low settings I would buy a new computer before anymore games

this game is one of the most CPU intensive games that are out there. Dont talk about somehting u know nothing of.

I'd even buy Arma 2 CO for DayZ if it was $50,00....

This mod is just that much worth it.

The fun you get in exchange of the lousy fee for buying Arma 2 CO makes you realise you spent your money well.

• Like 1