pttg

A quick thought on global chat

I know that there are plans for the removal of global chat. I would like to point out that as soon as this happens, players will find other ways to communicate, largely outside of the game. Unfortunately, this is unavoidable. However, it can be mitigated by making there be very effective long-distance communication in-game that is simply harder to acquire. If one could get a radio and use it to make regular broadcasts and to quickly give information (for instance, having a one-off command to tell all allies "I'm at grid xxxxxxxx", or "I [am healthy/am bleeding/have a broken bone/am dying] and my blood level is xxxxxx"), outside com channels will be somewhat less attractive. People will still use them, but as long as you have viable alternatives, you can get them motivated to stick to in-game elements more.

In particular, people will be happy to get a radio or a cell phone or what have you, specifically because it means that they are more able to communicate. That's really the best you can hope for,

It already happens, I'm perma stuck as a bandit because every single person/team i meet are talking on vent/ts and just decide to kill you if you arent one of them. Vent/TS has already ruined the communication aspect of the game.

It already happens' date=' I'm perma stuck as a bandit because every single person/team i meet are talking on vent/ts and just decide to kill you if you arent one of them. Vent/TS has already ruined the communication aspect of the game.

[/quote']

VOIP is just another way to communicate. In a mod such as DayZ, communicating with your friends is a must. Can't really see how its "ruined" the communication aspect of the game.

*cough* ACRE *cough*

Radios should also not be difficult to find. If there were radios commonly found it promotes the idea of teamplay. Also, our friendly neighborhood bandit could also send out a message that leads to his carefully crafted ambush.

VOIP is just another way to communicate. In a mod such as DayZ' date=' communicating with your friends is a must. Can't really see how its "ruined" the communication aspect of the game.

[/quote']

Your character doesn't have a radio, he's unable to communicate by any other means than speaking and shouting.

When global chat is removed, using Teamspeak or Ventrilo is essentially cheating. It gives you a very unfair advantage you aren't supposed to have.

Because people don't want to be in disadvantage, they too must communicate via a software that doesn't have any location-based restrictions, or generate sound in game that zombies could hear etc.

In my opinion that's ruining a part of the game, but it can't really be fixed.

If the game hears that you are speaking into a mic it should attract zombies to you unless you are using the ingame channels correctly :)

The mic has to be plugged into your PC so the game can get the input from it. That way people using third part VOIP will be zombie magnets! :)

I've been looking in the mod's SFX files and found someting interesting, such as cell phone ring tones (which sounded like text message received tone), and phone button dtmf tones. :)

Might be that once the global chat is disabled, we'll have something like mobile phones available in-game.

I hope they don't delete it, it brings the community together as well...

Wait..Are they also removing side chat? Isn't side chat basically the same as global chat? I'm fucking confused.

In ArmA 2, you have different sides BLUFOR, OPFOR, CIVILIAN, etc.

Global channel broadcasts your text and voice to everyone on server.

Side channel broadcasts your text and voice only to your side.

In dayZ we are basically all on same side, so global and side channel have same effect (broadcasts to everyone). I believe rocket is planning to remove both of them, since removing only one of them wouldn't make much sense. In my opinion, removing them will be good for immersion. Some secondary options such as walkie talkies or cell phones could be introduced later, to allow long distance communication.

I really hope they remove Global chat (it is unrealistic as all hell and causes more problems than anything else).

I don't see how TS/Vent will suddenly become an alternative to global chat any more than it currently is. I mean, its not like people will suddenly become psychic about which program to use and which server IP the most people on their server are using; You're still in the dark about the actual important bits of info surrounding TS/Vent.

So, just like you would now, you'd need to already be friends with the person or you'd have to sort out what server to get on IN GAME after meeting someone...which i'm hoping I wouldn't have to explain the myriad problems/obstacles with this.

Or someone would set up server specific TS/Vent, but that would be just an extra ballache to getting playing the game all for...what? mostly useless information? a better environment for bandits to stalk?

Getting rid of global makes it far less "Gamey" and far more immersive.

The Arma in-game VON works well. I play PR:Arma mod and no ones uses TS3 'cause it's not needed.

Sadly, Dayz code broke the VON.

Rest assured tho, Bis is working to fix the problem.

Once von is working stable in Dayz, we got lotsa cool stuff to look forward to.

I'd like to see direct comm have two modes --normal chat range [20m.] and SHOUT! range out to maybe 100m.

Could see using 'vehicle' chat for shout.

Global, side, vehicle, direct, command and group channels offer a full range for future features.

Great to be part of alpha.

First of all, there isnt' a damn thing you can do about people using vent or similar, even once you disable global chat. And I don't really see a problem with groups of friends behaving as groups of friends. They can kill you and not each other and thats fine. If it helps, just imagine that they all have radios or something.

Cellphones would be cool though, +1 that suggestion.

Also I really don't think rocket is going to care about radios. He doesn't have any problem with people using an out of game map, nor the out of game loot cheat sheet. Clearly he doesn't object to the metagame, so you might as well learn to live with it.

Cellphones would indeed be a good idea. But at the same time, I wonder what the limit is on suggestions - you'd be transforming DayZ into a to-scale world, complete with Krispy Kremes and Durex condoms..

Anyway! Maybe replacing Global with ACRE would be a really good shout? It'd totally add to the realism of it all?

Cellphones is not only a suggestion, I think it is a feature that they plan to put in. All the sound files for cell phone are already in there inside dayz_sfx.pbo. I also found geiger counter sounds. :)