n0tyx3s

M14 Sniper Rifle and Bear Traps

Ok this thread contains two questions. (Obviously)

Q 1: I luckily just got an M14 Sniper rifle off of a dude I killed. Now I know it's concidered a sniper rifle, but I looked it up on the weapons comparison table in the wiki. It says it has high damage, moderate recoil, a high rate of fire and it's effective range is only 500 meters(pretty low for a sniper rifle IMO) It's only equipped with a CCO instead of an actual scope. I'm trying my hands at being a sniper so I also have a CZ 550 in my alice pack. So my question is, having never used this weapon, is the m14 geared at being a close quarters weapon as well as capable of long range? Should I get rid of the CZ 550 as a sniper and replace it with and automatic weapon? Or would sticking with a CZ or DMR and the M14 a decent weapon combo for short and long range engagement?

Ok that was 2 questions for one topic but oh well, i'm curious.

Q 2: Bear traps are supposedly in the new 1.7.2 patch but i've never seen one yet. If they are, has anyone fallen prey to one yet or seen how it works? I ask because I was crawling along the NW side of Stary Sobar, to try and get a decent view of the military tents to check for danger and stuff. Well as I was crawling (it was night time btw) somthing seemed to fly up on my screen and the next thing I know I was dead. I didn't hear any gunfire and as far as I know, when someone shoots you from a distance, there is a distinct cracking noise which I did not hear. Now I know silenced weapons are hard to hear from a distance but I don't think someone with an MP5SD or an 9 Mil SD pistol could actively hit someone crawling in the head from a far enough distance not to hear the suppression.

Now before the flaming starts about how snipers are lame and pussies and all that jazz, I don't mean i'm camping outside cherno to pick off helpless survivors running from zeds with out a weapon and such. I carry it around for counter-sniping and to check out high pvp areas and such to try and cover my ass before I go down there and get my ass blown off. To be honest, I have had 1 DMR and 3 CZ's and never fired them once. Had chances to kill several people doing so but let them be.

But anyway, feedback would be much appreciated.

Edited by n0tyx3s

1. I've always used the M14 AIM into pretty close quarters or if I'm going to try to get a shot from 200-300 meters, if you're a sniper lover I would totally stick to the DMR but yeah, it's a weapon of your choice. And I assume you're not in a group or have a tent?

I'm afraid I can't answer Question number 2 because I've never really seen one.

A sniper rifle with a CCO sight, do you really think that makes sense?

It's clearly an assault rifle...

It's essentially a multi purpose weapon, it's decent in close quarters but also has the ability to shoot at range, much like the FN FAL.

I try and carry as assault rifle and sniper rifle on me at all times, I'm set for all different situations that way.

Edited by jdz

From what I can tell, and have heard from various random strangers and friends alike, the M14 is more of a medium-range support 'Sniper Rifle'.

Due to the limited range thanks to the CCO (as you put it) it would be useful for supporting people as you moved from one area to another, as well as fluid intercity firefights. But for actual sniping, it is outclassed by many of the other sniper rifles due to the limited scope range.

I would recommend dropping the M14 for either an assault rifle, or a shotgun for medium-close range combat and keep the CZ550 for long range.

Unless you are with friends, and are the 'sniper' of the group, then you might want to keep it for when the long range scopes of other rifles might be too long a zoom.

Also, I have not seen a beartrap yet.

Here is some feedback from a years long Arma2 vet.

First, don't look at those tables or whatever you were looking at.

The game tries to model the realistic ballistics and "firepower" of the in game weapons. They do a pretty good job.

The weapon tables only take into account someone's very narrow criteria of what might be useful to THEM.

That does not mean it is useful to YOU in the game for your play style.

If you've played only DayZ, don't listen to any threads that tell you what is and what is not a "sniper" weapon.

Your iron sights will do you fine at almost ANY distance you will encounter players in DayZ. The exception is if you WANT to be a killer and lay someplace and prey on players. In that case, you will need a scope; preferable one with ranges precut into the reticle.

A scope is nice sounding but it gets in the way most of the time. Click to iron sights and if you have a large calibre gun youwill kill anything in 1 shot. (depending on server, you may have crosshairs. Those help, but not necessary) Lee Enfield, FN-FAL, Winchester etc are the guns to have, or M14. The AKM and other AK variants in game take too many shots to kill a target, have terrible sight picture when recoil is factored in and when you have to fire several shots you draw a LOT of attention.

Bottom line:

Any rifle without a scope will be good close in, meaning 0 to 300 yards or so. 99% of the time in Arma2 and in DayZ you will not be aiming at anyone beyond that zone. In fact, most ofthe time it will be MUCH closer.

So, you are looking for a gun with stopping power, you want a 1 shot kill. The M-14 will do that. It fires a .308 calibre round (7.62 x .51 for NATO folk), which will make your day very bad. You can fire that at someone's head at 300 yards to 600 yards and get a 1 shot kill. The bullets drop, aim for the head past 200 yards and you will kill them, whether you have a scope or not. Scopes don't really help in this mod and most often get in the way (unless you are wanting to just lay in wait and shoot great distances at targets that have come to a stand still). Learn the iron sights. Conserve ammo. If someone is far away, DON'T shoot them...observe and watch them move away and then carry on. If you shoot at them you draw attention to yourself of not only nearby zombies and your target but of ALL the players in the audible viciinity who will now be hunting the sound (or moving away from it as would be the wiser choice).

Edited by Slyder73
  • Like 2

^ Don't listen to these scrubnubs.

Its classed as a sniper rifle but use it like an assault rifle, You can easily pick people off from 300M, And easily spray people down at 50M.

Use it for PvP only, Its too loud to use on Zeds, So have your Pistol at the ready.

*Ammo is very easy to find too, its an amazing weapon.

Edited by Nebo NZ

A sniper rifle with a CCO sight, do you really think that makes sense?

It's clearly an assault rifle...

It's essentially a multi purpose weapon, it's decent in close quarters but also has the ability to shoot at range, much like the FN FAL.

I try and carry as assault rifle and sniper rifle on me at all times, I'm set for all different situations that way.

I agree that it is an assault rifle, IMO but I was going off of what the wiki had it classed as.

1. I've always used the M14 AIM into pretty close quarters or if I'm going to try to get a shot from 200-300 meters, if you're a sniper lover I would totally stick to the DMR but yeah, it's a weapon of your choice. And I assume you're not in a group or have a tent?

I'm afraid I can't answer Question number 2 because I've never really seen one.

The CZ 550 is just what I have one me atm, I'll gladly exhange it for something better but I still have a hard time finding the supposedly moderately rare CZ as it is never mind a DMR or something bigger. I'm not in a group per se but I have one buddy that I like to play with, but I play alot more often than him so I'm usually on my own. I do have a couple of tents on one server but one of them has been either looted or something happened to the items when the server was patched. But the other tent still had all of it's items so I imagine it's been found out :(

From what I can tell, and have heard from various random strangers and friends alike, the M14 is more of a medium-range support 'Sniper Rifle'.

Due to the limited range thanks to the CCO (as you put it) it would be useful for supporting people as you moved from one area to another, as well as fluid intercity firefights. But for actual sniping, it is outclassed by many of the other sniper rifles due to the limited scope range.

I would recommend dropping the M14 for either an assault rifle, or a shotgun for medium-close range combat and keep the CZ550 for long range.

Unless you are with friends, and are the 'sniper' of the group, then you might want to keep it for when the long range scopes of other rifles might be too long a zoom.

Also, I have not seen a beartrap yet.

Is it not a CCO on the top of it or am I mistaken? Looks alot like the real one plus the one on top of the M4. I am the sniper between me and my buddy, to help provide overwatch but as I said earlier, I go at it alone quite often. Just don't have enough buds that play this game sadly.

Thanks for all your guys feed back. If I were to drop the M14, what assault rifle would you reccomend me using? I prefer something with a CCO on it as I am still fairly terrible at PvP but if there are better weapons other than the M4A1/M4A3 CCO then i can try to switch.

Its not a fucking sniper rifle you god damn arm chair warriors. Jesus fuck.

@ Nebo:

Nobody is a scrub nub, everyone has their own opinion and and their own preferences as i'm sure you do as well.

Well maybe Rainbowkiss boy here is but no one else is.

@ Slyder

I like your take on things, I suppose I should try getting on larger servers and trying my hand out on the iron sights and run around looking for a fight. All for the sake of practice thought rather than kill to trollollollol. Most everyone one is KoS anyway so I doubt I'd have much problem. :P

Edited by n0tyx3s

The M14 AIM is a battle rifle, and also one of the best PVP guns in the game in my experience. It's powerful, accurate, high capacity, and has great range. No, it's not a sniper rifle but it's definitely one of the best choices you can make in picking a PVP weapon.

I luckily just got an M14 Sniper rifle off of a dude I killed. Now I know it's concidered a sniper rifle

I assume you are reffering to the M24, thats a sniper rifle.

The DMR is the "Desegnated Marksman Rifle."

In fact the DMR is an M14 just with different attachments and colouring.

I'd say the M14 AIM is more suited to the battle rifle role (can't be an assault rifle as it is only a semi automatic)

The M14 is good for medium and CQ combat but as for sniping, its about as useful as an M4 or AK.

I'm set up in a spot 1k away from my targets, which you'll have no chance of hitting with either an M14 or CZ550.

I'd say go hunt for some high geared players, or loot some choppers for a 50.cal weapon. You can't beat the AS50 or the M107.

If you get far enough away with a 50.cal, you're most likely out of visual range, they can't hear the shot and die on impact, meaning its the perfect anti-disconnect weapon.

The M14 is good for medium and CQ combat but as for sniping, its about as useful as an M4 or AK.

I'm set up in a spot 1k away from my targets, which you'll have no chance of hitting with either an M14 or CZ550.

I'd say go hunt for some high geared players, or loot some choppers for a 50.cal weapon. You can't beat the AS50 or the M107.

If you get far enough away with a 50.cal, you're most likely out of visual range, they can't hear the shot and die on impact, meaning its the perfect anti-disconnect weapon.

If you cant hit people from 1k away with the CZ, your doing it wrong.

800 zeroing doesn't mean it can only do 800, get familiar with the drop and you can hit people from 1.2k with ease

Ignorant, everybody is.

The M14 is not a sniper rifle.

It's not an assault rifle.

It's a Designated Marksman Rifle.

LOOK I CAN GET LINKS FROM WIKI TOO -

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=M14_EP1 wait this is the actual Dayz Wiki.

It says BATTLE RIFLE but its sitting under the 'SNIPER RIFLE' category on the weapons page.

Uses DMR Ammo, Has a CCO scope. Which means its a CLOSE COMBAT OPTIC Scope. ( If I named that correctly ) So if we were to take the CCO off and replace it with a real sniper scope.. meh who am I kidding.

Edited by Nebo NZ

You can say its a sniper all you want but if you've actually used it ingame you'll know that is not the case. Its accurate upto 500 meters without zeroing so thats pretty fantastic. One of the only guns where you can put the crosshair on something far away and actually hit it right there and then. It's a fun weapon but i tend not to use it unless i have worse weapons instead going with the stated assault rifle bagged sniper rifle combo.

The M14 isn't a sniper rifle in DayZ or ArmA 2. It's a rifle. It's a rifle equiped with an aimpoint to be used in medium range.

The M14 is zeroed at 400m and that's about all it's good for.

The M14 isn't intended to be used in close quarters, but it can be given the aimpoint. It's best used for 150~400m shots, takes generall 1 to 2 hits to kill a player target.

If you want a sniper rifle, pick up any with a real scope. CZ550 (easily able to engage at 900m, knock out in 1 hit) One of the 50's, they are both single hit kills, but I find the AS50 to have higher accuracy and a LOT less noise. A M24, still a nice weapon, takes 2 hits to kill. SVD: Can't vouch for it in DayZ as the only one I found had no ammo and I only found ammo for it a month after finding it. However, imo, the SVD has the best scope for zeroing and engaging targets up to 1km without a range finder. I've used it in ArmA 2 andcan easily engage targets with the PSO way easier than any other weapon WITHOUT a range finder. DMR, the ideal sniper rifle for someone who plays at night a lot. DMR + NVG is where it's at. The DMR can engage up to 600m easily, you can reach out to 900 but it's extremely difficult. Plus it's the one "Sniper Rifle" you can use NVG with.

I'm currently rocking the AS50, and have been having fun with it. IMO, with the way night time is currently, there is no need for NVG and thus effectively allowing me to snipe without NVG.

The M14 AIM and the DMR are based off of the same rifle... The M14 "battle rifle", it's what nations used (like the FAL "battle rifle") before they all went onto assault rifles (such as the M16, SA80, AK74, Galil etc). Basically it fires a much more powerful cartridge which would otherwise have been used in a semi automatic / bolt action rifle / machine gun except the rifles can also do full auto but have high recoil because of the larger round. This was the transition gun type after WW2 through the cold war era. They're mad powerful and accurate out far but heavy, high recoil and ammo wasters in full auto at anything but the closest range -- Which is why a lot ended up being locked at semi auto or burst fire for armies (the ones in DayZ). The AKM is actually an assault rifle, however it uses a much more powerful round than the western 5.56 and thus can shoot out longer, does more damage but also has higher recoil... It's sort of between a rifle and a western assault rifle in that regard but it falls in line with the abilities of the other hard hitting rifles in Dayz.

In game terms, it means the M14 AIM / Lee Enfield / FN Fal / AKM are capable of reaching out to the same ranges as a sniper rifle, but you are limited by their lack of scope -- So you'll be pixel sniping and having to deal with their iron sights (which can be blocky). This is where the AIM comes out a little better as a red dot is a bit easier to aim with than regular iron sights.

None of these should be classed as "sniper rifles" / "Marksman rifles" in that they do not have the ability to zoom in via a scope and so you are trumped by anyone who has a scope and thus can see and fire at you more accurately. Not to mention that the PSO / mildot reticle can be used as a range finder and as a zeroing device -- A lot of the "sniper rifles" can use page up/down to manually zero as well, only the AKM can do this. Sure you can kill someone who has a scope when you don't, but he had the upperhand over you at long range and it was your skill / luck / his lack of skill / lag / bad situation which made the difference.

All of that "effective range" shit just means when the bullet no longer performs to its best ability. Aka if a gun would kill someone in 1 hit, when it stops doing that and requires 2 hits, the bullet drops more too. Every sniper rifle with the exception of the .50 cal AS50 and M107 will require 2 body hits at what most people would class as "sniper ranges", past 300 - 500m -- Unless you get a head shot.The benefit of the M14 aim / DMR / SVD / FAL / AKM as rifles is that while they need 2 body hits at those ranges, they are semi automatic and thus you can get 2x shots down range in quick time if you're unable to do 1x clean head shot.

All of that aside, keep the CZ (Or better yet, the DMR) if you want to "snipe" or "counter snipe".

The M14 AIM is a fine weapon at close or medium ranges with the ability to reach out really far with some skill / luck, but it is a pure PvP weapon as it's loud as the sniper rifles and thus will lure a hoard of zombies at close / medium ranges.

It should be being used as a replacement for your assault rifle, not a supplement to it as you seem to want from a 2nd primary "sniper rifle".

The benefit it has is it's accuracy and it is crazy powerful so your target stays the fuck dead when you shoot him, especially with armas sketchy netcode / some laggy servers / version 1.7.2's issues with desynching. You're looking at pumping more rounds into people than you should have to. If you're shooting an AK74 at close range for example you might need to empty a half a magazine... If the guy shooting back has an M14 aim and shoots as you do, he will probably win.

While it's locked at semi automatic mode, you can click it crazy fast and keep up with any full auto weapon out there.

With regards to bear traps:

I'm yet to see one in game and have also been looking hard -- I've read they spawn in grocery stores. That being said they were coded in at 1.7.2 as this guy managed to play with them in single player:

They seem extremely buggy in that they can effectively be duped and left as a perpetually set invisible trap. Their placement is also buggy as hell being either non existent or in mid air in some places. From what I understand though they can only break legs, not kill you... But if you were crawling over it, who knows.

There are also assault rifles which have silencers such as the M4 SD. Then of course there could well be other hacked in silenced weapons.

That being said if someone shoots you from very far away, the bullet will hit you before you hear the gun going off or the sonic crack because of how slow sound travels. It could be that someone shot you with a 50 cal with a thermal scope (these were legit before rocket removed their spawn and a few bounce around) or a DMR with night vision and your face and brains are currently spread over the tarmac.

Edited by itputsthelotion

M14 is an assault rifle. Not a sniper.

The sniper you're thinking of is the DMR.

If you have a decent backpack you can have the M14AIM and DMR at the same time

It's a pretty effective combination, as both use the DMR mags, you don't need extra space for a different type of magazine

Basically you're swapping out attachments when switching between the M14 and the DMR

Use the M14AIM between 0 and 300m, DMR for 300 to 800m

The .308 round ensures that whatever you shoot stays dead

I tested it with a friend, even a leg shot deals 6.000 blood damage

M14 is an assault rifle

BATTLE RIFLE, it fires a full sized rifle cartridge

M14 AIM = Battle Rifle because of the CCO sight

DMR = Designated Marksman Rifle(the name implies that)

Edited by Hawk24

If you have atleast an ALICE backpack you can have the M14AIM and DMR at the same time

It's a pretty effective combination, as both use the DMR mags

Basically you're swapping out attachments when switching between the M14 and the DMR

Use the M14AIM between 0 and 300m, DMR for 300 to 800m

BATTLE RIFLE, it fires a full sized rifle cartridge

M14 AIM = Battle Rifle because of the CCO sight

DMR = Designated Marksman Rifle(the name implies that)

Right, battle rifle. My bad. It's late, and I'm tired, don't blame me :P

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, whatever it is a sniper or not is not issue..I wanna hear if anyone got the bear traps!?

Edited by Baltsar