Sign in to follow this  
sandbagger

Non-Player Characters

Hello everyone.

I read in another thread where someone suggested roaming packs of zombies. I think that's a good idea. And I'd like to offer a variation on that theme, in the form of roaming and/or randomly spawning npc military units and survivor groups.

Edited by sandbagger

I find that DayZ is very unique in the sense that it is an MMORPG that is completely devoid of NPCs other than the infected. Adding in NPCs (even randomly appearing ones) will only diminish the unique feeling that DayZ has. If "friendly" human NPCs were to be introduced, that would only act as a gateway to this game's assimilation: Once we start seeing random groups of non-player controlled survivors bumbling about, we'll soon see quest-givers and other NPCs that are so common in every other MMORPG that will effectively degrade what makes DayZ so different.

Just to clarify, I'm not against quests or "missions, but I believe that they should be handed out by unseen hands (or some other means, i.e. player-to-player-instated quests or -- better yet -- dynamic world events) rather than Bob the Survivor outside Chernogorsk.

I find that DayZ is very unique in the sense that it is an MMORPG that is completely devoid of NPCs other than the infected. Adding in NPCs (even randomly appearing ones) will only diminish the unique feeling that DayZ has. If "friendly" human NPCs were to be introduced, that would only act as a gateway to this game's assimilation: Once we start seeing random groups of non-player controlled survivors bumbling about, we'll soon see quest-givers and other NPCs that are so common in every other MMORPG that will effectively degrade what makes DayZ so different.

Just to clarify, I'm not against quests or "missions, but I believe that they should be handed out by unseen hands (or some other means, i.e. player-to-player-instated quests or -- better yet -- dynamic world events) rather than Bob the Survivor outside Chernogorsk.

Who said anything about them being friendly?

Who said anything about them being friendly?

I considered the possibility of NPC humans being hostile while making my original reply, but my point still remains that human NPCs -- hostile, friendly, neutral, or otherwise -- will only lead to degrading DayZ to that of so many other RPG games. It's a snowball effect, really.

In your opinion, that is. I personally think dynamic npc battles / events would be awesome. You could kill, help, or just watch then loot after.

I love how AI interacts with itself in survival games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but I worry about how it would carry into an RPG that features 40+ players at a time, especially with DayZ's core design. It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would work out and I worry that it would only serve as a gateway to other things that would cause DayZ to fall under the generic category of RPGs.

I would like to come across a NPC that is like the merchant in Resident Evil 4. Just make it so if you harm him or kill him you will get punished somehow.