anthony_henson2003@yahoo.com

Run multiple servers on one machine?

I am trying to get another server up on our machine since no one seems to want to share exactly how to increase the player cap.

Could you let me know how to run another server on the same machine as simply starting another one makes it run on another port and it never seems to show up in the server list when that is done. Yes i am aware i will need another instance id which i already have :)

Any help would be great

Thanks

Dallas 11 host

you would need to install a virtual machine. otherwise they would fight heavily over the processors of the server causing lag and such.

also your connection might not be able to stand it. if you already have heavy traffic on your box then a second server will compound the problem.

Uh, setting affinity rules to seperate the cores is an easy job, so no virtual machines please.

@Hungoverfurball, contact an admin on IRC or send an email to dayzdevteam@gmail.com and it should be worked upon tomorrow. Bedtime now!

DayZ is a MOD, for a game.. called..ARMA2 ;-)

So jump on Google, and read up on how to setup ARMA2 servers. There's a guide by Kelly's Heroes which is quite good (it has a few mistakes, but nothing you can't fix by reading up the latest on the BIS wiki).

You need to change the port for each game instance you run, and you should also have different folder for each game instance with separate copies of the server.cfg, beserver.cfg, arma2.cfg, etc. All of these are defined in the startup line when you run the file. So you'd have say 3 batch files to run 3 servers, and each one would have different parameter options to specify the game port, what config files to load, etc.

DayZ is a MOD' date=' for a game.. called..ARMA2 ;-)

So jump on Google, and read up on how to setup ARMA2 servers. There's a guide by Kelly's Heroes which is quite good (it has a few mistakes, but nothing you can't fix by reading up the latest on the BIS wiki).

You need to change the port for each game instance you run, and you should also have different folder for each game instance with separate copies of the server.cfg, beserver.cfg, arma2.cfg, etc. All of these are defined in the startup line when you run the file. So you'd have say 3 batch files to run 3 servers, and each one would have different parameter options to specify the game port, what config files to load, etc.

[/quote']

what port should i put the second server on? As when i put it on say 2314 you can never find it on the server list or direct connect to it.

Google > "arma2 dedicated server ports" > http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

The short-cut to launch your 2nd server would look a little like this:

"arma2oaserver.exe -mod=EXPANSION;ca;@dayz;@CBA;@JayArma2Lib -name=server2 -config=server2\server.cfg -cfg=server2\arma2.cfg -profiles=server2 -world=Chernarus -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=7 -port=2402 -nosound"

I am trying to get another server up on our machine since no one seems to want to share exactly how to increase the player cap.

Could you let me know how to run another server on the same machine as simply starting another one makes it run on another port and it never seems to show up in the server list when that is done. Yes i am aware i will need another instance id which i already have :)

Any help would be great

Thanks

Dallas 11 host

1. Increasing player cap is bad. It seriously cripples server frames. Don't do it. The community seems happy with an average cap of 50 players.

2. The problem you're likely having is creating a vanilla clone. As in' date=' you're changing the port, but not the actual config files. The reason you can't see it on the server list is probably because you're not fully creating another instance.

If you need help with [b']ANY of this, please find me on TeamSpeak at ts3.MonolithServers.com. I'll take you through it step-by-step.

Step-by-step:

1. GET A NEW MISSION FILE. This would be dayz_XX.Chernarus.pbo in your MPMissions folder in OA install directory. Very important. One instance will need one of these files, two instances will need two different mission files, three instances will need three, etc.

2. Look at your launch parameters for your DayZ server, which you will either find in a) your .bat server shortcut or b) Your services manager (ie: FireDaemon) start-up parameters. One of those parameters should read -config=[whatever].cfg

3. Go to where that .cfg file is located (it should be in your arma2oaroot/cfgdayz/ folder), find [whatever].cfg and make a copy of it. Now edit that copy. In particular, you are looking for this:

hostname = "DayZ Zombie RPG - [Whatever you want the second server to be called] (v1.5.7) dayzmod.com - hosted by [whatever you want the host name to be]";			// The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

Change that to make sure it's a different name from your original server. Now find this:

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
class DayZ {
template = dayz_XX.Chernarus;
difficulty = "veteran";
};
};

And change the [XX] to the number of the mission file you just got.

4. Save the change you just made TO A DIFFERENT FILE NAME THAN THE ORIGINAL SERVER CONFIG.

5. Now either a) make a copy of your server .bat file or b) make a clone of your DayZ server service.

6. In the .bat copy/service clone, again look at your parameters (the same place you found the -config=[whatever].cfg)

Now change that -config= to point at the second config you just saved.

7. Optional but highly recommended: Use the -port flag on both your instances to designate a port. This is so that if you use the RCon GUI (and you really should), you can save the connections to your server instances easily, without having to worry about typing in the port.

8. Also optional but highly recommended: Use -exThreads=1 and not -exThreads=Anything Else. The reason for this is that the server absolutely does not need to thread textures or geometry. However, it can use the File Operations on an additional thread, which may cause a performance increase. Not much, but it tends to be there. Loading with exThreads=[anything other than 1] can cause the server to pointlessly attempt to create additional threads that will only a) act inefficiently b) do nothing and c) create useless overhead usage. Don't bother.

9. Also optional, also highly recommended: Stop using the batch files. Use FireDaemon with defined parameters. It allows you to set Core Affinity without having to dictate that affinity at launch or pointlessly mess with elevated cmd start /c. Core Affinity can be set on a defined service and FireDaemon will automatically handle it for you. It has a lengthy trial period and a cheap licensing fee that's well worth it.