Sign in to follow this  
AWTAssassin

Why is Day-Z Running So Slow for me!?

*Which version of the game did you purchase? STEAM or RETAIL or MIXED:

Steam

*Are you running an Arma 2 OA beta patch? If so what version?:

Not sure, not at my gaming pc right now

*Which method are you using to launch the game? I.E Sixupdater/steam/batch file:

SixUpdater

*What is the Error/Problem you're having? Please provide screenshots if possible:

The game is running very poorly, when my computer specs are good.

*Your PC specs:

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

16GB 1333Mhz RAM

2x Radeon HD 6950's in Crossfire

500GB HDD

ASROCK Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard

*Your Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

*Have you looked at these threads?:

yes

http://dayzmod.com/f...d.php?tid=18588

Okay, so Arma 2 alone runs fine, 60+ fps all the time, and so does Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead..

But the Day-Z Mod runs like 20 - 30 FPS and then sometimes drops below 15FPS

I can run any other games maxed out completely at 60+FPS, why cant i run Day-Z?

is it bad coding for the mod? Or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks to whomever helps me:)

Edited by AWTAssassin

Could be crossfire issues, don't know what else it could be

I thought that too at first, but it was still running crappy when i use a single card, not sure why... i see people on youtube with way lower specs than me that run it just fine...

I thought that too at first, but it was still running crappy when i use a single card, not sure why... i see people on youtube with way lower specs than me that run it just fine...

The performance you can get out of ArmA 2 is very limited even on high end gear. ArmA 2 does not utilize multiple threads and cores properly. You can use a command line to "help" it on its way, but its still far away from being optimal. You would be able to notice this by looking at your total CPU usage during gameplay, aswell as which cores are being used to run ArmA 2. In most cases, you will see it mostly using just 1, and at occations, very little of a 2nd core. This results in very bad performance on high-end rigs, or rather, limited performance.

Your best bet is to lower graphics as much as possible, ive got a few config tweaks that are almost bound to give you another 30-50 fps if you like. It will reduce the overall quality of the picture, but help the game run better on the limited amount of cores it is able to use.

Edited by Suspenselol

The performance you can get out of ArmA 2 is very limited even on high end gear. ArmA 2 does not utilize multiple threads and cores properly. You can use a command line to "help" it on its way, but its still far away from being optimal. You would be able to notice this by looking at your total CPU usage during gameplay, aswell as which cores are being used to run ArmA 2. In most cases, you will see it mostly using just 1, and at occations, very little of a 2nd core. This results in very bad performance on high-end rigs, or rather, limited performance.

Your best bet is to lower graphics as much as possible, ive got a few config tweaks that are almost bound to give you another 30-50 fps if you like. It will reduce the overall quality of the picture, but help the game run better on the limited amount of cores it is able to use.

What are the config tweaks, cant hurt to try them out right?:)

What are the config tweaks, cant hurt to try them out right? :)

Navigate to your documents folder and open the ArmA 2 folder, in here open ArmA2OA.cfg and look for these values, and make sure they are as quoted. if any of these arent in the file, add them.

ArmA2OA.cfg

PPAA=0;
PPAA_Level=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Optionally, you can remove mousesmoothing aswell. This gives you a more responsive behaviour like BF3/CS, instead of ArmA 2s very sluggish and muddy mouse movement. To do this, add this line

mouseSmoothing=1;

Next, open up your profiles operation arrowhead config and find these values and match them

shadingQuality=10;
shadowQuality=0;
maxSamplesPlayed=32;
anisoFilter=1;
TexQuality=1;
TexMemory=4;
useWBuffer=0;
tripleHead=0;
sceneComplexity=150000;
terrainGrid=50;

These exact settings will reduce the draw distance of objects/trees and grass. It will make the game look "bad" compares to high settings, but you can play with them as you like. Using this exact setup will allow you to reach a good 70-110 fps in decent sized/small villages and the rest of the world. Where elektro and cherno will give you a good 50-60 frames. Good luck!