1. 1. Walkie talkie range?

• 0-500m
    • 0-1km
    • 0-5km
    • 0-10km
    • Other

My thoughts:

Radios and their Uses

-AM medium-wave Radio Receiver looted in common houses and commercial areas [TOOL]-

-AM medium-wave Radio Transmitter with 112 possible channels (520kHz - 1610 kHz with 9 kHz intervals given Chernarus' location in the ITU2 region) broadcasting over Chernarus. If another player broadcasts on the same frequency as another, the communication is broadcast to the closest players. Looted in military areas excluding Fire Stations and Hunting Towers [iTEM][DEPLOYABLE - ONCE]-

-FRS/GMRS Hybrid Radios allowing two-way service with Channel 1 being the Chernarus National Emergency Service, repeating a message of evacuation to military forces in Chernogorsk. The FRS/GMRS is essentially a high-powered 14 channel walkie-talkie, and transmits up to 75 kilometers. Looted in Fire Stations and Hunting Towers [TOOL]-

-Each radio has a GUI displaying a power button, volume control and channel selector-

-The AM transmitter includes a broadcast button, and the GUI must remain open to broadcast (Player distance from transmitter inhibits sound clarity)-

-The FRS/GMRS utilizes the Group Communication VOIP and Text Chat. Game-wise, switching channels changes which group you are in, and other players closing 75km to you automatically join your group, if they are tuned to the same channel-

I believe that these implements will introduce a more dynamic communication system, Survivors can utilize the FRS/GMRS to coordinate meetings, as well as bandit interventions. Wars can break out over AM broadcast ranges. Music stations will emerge. A dynamic radio communication system entails many possibilities within DayZ.

-

-

Edited by Wulfsok
  • Like 2

Great idea with walki talkis player can talk to each other and maby a jamming transmitter could be to so you can listen to the talks of them

or stop there conversation

Edited by MrMadniss

Great idea with walki talkis player can talk to each other and maby a jamming transmitter could be to so you can listen to the talks of them

or stop there conversation

In theory that works, but in reality i assume that its going to be abused.

I love the idea! Either that you can chat, or speak in game "radio channels". After all the army have equipment to send encrypted text messages over the radio band.

It will hopefully make people dare to meet up and cooperate more, or even trade. At least where general server wide chat is otherwise disabled.

I don't think there should be a downside to having a radio, though. There are enough downsides to this game as it is.

I don't think there should be a downside to having a radio, though. There are enough downsides to this game as it is.

True. It will depend on the type of walkie talkie that we get and the options it has, to see wether or not it needs downsides.

walkie talkies should allow people to hear and use the ingame chat system. however, they should have to use batteries that die over time.

Walkie Talkie with battery, yes. Theres is couple of cool scenarios with the walkie talkie. Hope they implent it in standalone or alpha mod.

I can imagine the awesomeness of this gameplay-prone in a quiet nest of trees, in the bitter darkness that is DayZ at night, drifting through radio frequencies with my walkie, listening for the voice of another desperate survivor . . . 400 MHz. I call out, "Friendly?" Wait. Nothing . . . 450 MHz. "Friendly?" Wait. Nothing . . . 500 M-"Yeah, friendly. Who's that?" Holy Shit, go back. Go back to 450MHz. 450MHz. "Friendly?", I ask again. "Yeah, friendly." Cool, I found someone. "Who are you? Where you at?" I ask. "I need help, dude. I'm in Berezino. My legs broke, I don't have morphine. Can you help me?" . . . and adventure begins. Is he honest? Is he a hurt survivor or is it all bs? Is it some bandits' trap? Am I bandit setting up my own trap?

Edited by PhilB
  • Like 1

walkie talkies should allow people to hear and use the ingame chat system. however, they should have to use batteries that die over time.

Walkie Talkie with battery, yes. Theres is couple of cool scenarios with the walkie talkie. Hope they implent it in standalone or alpha mod.

If there were to be batteries in there you should also add them for the flashlight atleast, they should be pretty common and found in civilian areas.

I can imagine the awesomeness of this gameplay-prone in a quiet nest of trees, in the bitter darkness that is DayZ at night, drifting through radio frequencies with my walkie, listening for the voice of another desperate survivor . . . 400 MHz. I call out, "Friendly?" Wait. Nothing . . . 450 MHz. "Friendly?" Wait. Nothing . . . 500 M-"Yeah, friendly. Who's that?" Holy Shit, go back. Go back to 450MHz. 450MHz. "Friendly?", I ask again. "Yeah, friendly." Cool, I found someone. "Who are you? Where you at?" I ask. "I need help, dude. I'm in Berezino. My legs broke, I don't have morphine. Can you help me?" . . . and adventure begins. Is he honest? Is he a hurt survivor or is it all bs? Is it some bandits' trap? Am I bandit setting up my own trap?

Sounds pretty cool indeed.

Heres my thought on it:

Fixed radio position: You can broadkast to all who have walkie-talkies across the entire map.

Walkie-talkie: You can communicate to anyone within say 20km or so (were talking crappy civilian versions, maby military versions could have more range)

No walkie: Direct communication only (25 meters i believe)

Take my beans sirs (OP too), Sounds like a feature I could see rocket implementing!

I like this idea too, I'd just like to point out that the furthest you could be from someone on the map is about 21km, so a range of 20km for civilian walkies would mean no need for military ones! ;)

I like this idea too, I'd just like to point out that the furthest you could be from someone on the map is about 21km, so a range of 20km for civilian walkies would mean no need for military ones! ;)

I was just about to point this out, 20km seems abit far.

I'd go for 5km or less, still have some of that immersion of not being connected to the entire world, being able to communicate with your surroundings but not so that everyone hears you.

And people who don't have the radios will just use teamspeak or another VOIP client. It's nice from a gameplay/RPG standpoint but with such an easy work around that particular game mechanic the dev's time would probably be better spent elsewhere. :/

no because voip programms **dont allow you to talk with strangers on your game server**... why do you all keep making this irrelevant idiotic argument

** should i say dont EASILY before people jump on this and say server hosted TS channels blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Evertos

no because voip programms **dont allow you to talk with strangers on your game server**... why do you all keep making this irrelevant idiotic argument

** should i say dont EASILY before people jump on this and say server hosted TS channels blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhh

My thoughts aswell.

I read the main topic and none of the comments so heres my view on it.

I think the radios are a good idea. But at different levels. Like a HAM radio and civilian radio for different ranges. and in the atc towers and maybe a city or bigger town a radio station so you can go in there and use the radio to intercept messages or send them out, and have it either give your location or not. But I think just one radio would be dumb and i think you should be able to switch channels on the radio if need be with the right side of the keyboard numbers. or have the radios just enable side chat to certain ranges of the map. so if you see another survivor in the woods nearby instead of talking verbally for people with no mics you can send a text.

Yes, this would be a great idea especially since global chat was removed, you could talk to other people if they also had the walkie talkie .

• teamspeak
  • steam